Purchasing Tourist Card Online

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not that widely known - it has only just been announced. It is also in this week's DR1 Travel News

New tourist card online payment
Tour operators and tourists can now purchase tourist cards (US$10) online to visit the Dominican Republic by using American Express or Visa/Mastercard. The online explanations are in Spanish, English and French.
The Department of Taxes has also opened kiosks at Dominican airports for the purchase of the cards, expediting it on entry. Exact change of US$10 or EUR10 is required. The tourist gets a receipt and the tourist card.
The tourist card authorizes stay in the country for 30 days, and is valid for one use for up to 12 months following the date of purchase. It is not transferable. The same person to whom the card is issued must use it or lose it.
The Tourist Card can also be acquired at points of sale in land, air, or seaports in the country, including the new kiosks. It is also available at Dominican embassies and consulate offices overseas and through tour operating companies.
Most tourists will need to purchase the card, with the exception of foreigners coming from Argentina, Chile, South Korea, Ecuador, Israel, Japan, Peru and Uruguay, and those who need visas.
About the Tourist Card

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So now the tourist card is back to 30 days again from the 60 recently reported as the new time period?

Or is someone going to post that the "new regulations have yet to be implemented" again?

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
If you are travelling from the UK you can buy your tourist cards from the Dominican Republic embassy before you travel. Saves a lot of hassle at the airport when you land.

Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom

Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

miozio

May 23, 2009
This one is from Terms and conditions:
"If the Tourist Card while being checked at the check point, happens to be a duplicate, is not validated by the system, or appears as to have not been issued in the system, it will not be accepted. In this case the Tourist will have to assume the costs of buying a new card at the air, land, or sea port of arrival to be able to access the Dominican Republic."

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
This one is from Terms and conditions:
"If the Tourist Card while being checked at the check point, happens to be a duplicate, is not validated by the system, or appears as to have not been issued in the system, it will not be accepted. In this case the Tourist will have to assume the costs of buying a new card at the air, land, or sea port of arrival to be able to access the Dominican Republic."
I do not recall much checking being done at Puerto Plata, they just take the card and wave you through.

I think most Canadian airlines include the cost of the card in their fare and hand them out before landing. They usually tell the passengers to make sure they hang onto the card as they will need it to leave the country. It is fun to see the panicked look on their faces as the card is taken away from them as they enter the immigration area.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Just another way to get your credit card number,

Buy it at the Airport when you land, and avoid creating another potential problem......

How much time are you really saving?

You're in that much of a hurry, while on vacation?

SAD......

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
The longest it ever took me to buy the tourist card was 5 minutes, hardly a hassle, a lot faster than going to an embassy.

You've obviously not been on the Thomas Cook flights from Manchester in May or October as the queue for the cards winds all the way back down the "temporary" walkway. In May we were told that the queue lasted for at least 45 minutes before people realised that they had a long form to fill in & no pen to do it with before they got to the kiosk.
Plus, if you read my post, you will see that you apply for them via the mail not "going to the embassy" - perhaps you might want to read my post fully before making comments.
We fly to the DR twice a year (since 1995) and have found it a godsend to have the card in your hand after a 9 hour flight.
Hope this clears up any confusion.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
I believe the tourist card costs 10 POUNDS in the UK rather than $10, so you are paying nearly half as much more!
Yes it does, but it saves having to stand in a queue for up to an hour in the heat and humidity. In our case, we fel it is worth the extra expense, especially after a long cramped flight.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Just another way to get your credit card number,
Buy it at the Airport when you land, and avoid creating another potential problem......
How much time are you really saving?
You're in that much of a hurry, while on vacation?
SAD......
We have pre-bought our cards for the last eight years without any problems at all.
We are saving at least 45 minutes stood in a queue.
I want to enjoy my holiday, not spend the beginning of it stuck in an airport.
SAD?? Not going to dignify that with a reply.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You've obviously not been on the Thomas Cook flights from Manchester in May or October as the queue for the cards winds all the way back down the "temporary" walkway. In May we were told that the queue lasted for at least 45 minutes......................

Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

No, I have not been on a Thomas Cook flight but I have seen when several planes landed at the same time at SDQ. Easily well over 300 people scrambling to get in line so I can see in certain cases buying the tourist card in advance is a blessing.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
@Reidy620 - We all have different opinions!

If you obtain pleasure by purchasing your tourist card before your flight, I am truly happy for you and the misses.

I never waited more than five or ten minutes to buy mine in POP, SDQ, or STI. If I went to the RD Embassy in my home city, it would take me more than 45 minutes of my time that I can spend buying gifts for my beloved Dominican wives @ Century 21. I am never in any sort of rush in RD, but that is what I choose to do with my time, and I respect how you spend your time.

No need to attack others with contrasting opinions mate.

felicidades,

ian

PS: They used to sell them at the counter in Newark @ CO for $11, JAJA!

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
We have pre-bought our cards for the last eight years without any problems at all.
We are saving at least 45 minutes stood in a queue.
I want to enjoy my holiday, not spend the beginning of it stuck in an airport.
SAD?? Not going to dignify that with a reply.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

I'm glad it's working out for you,

I have been there over 76 times, since the early 90's and have never encountered a 45 minute wait, and its never been much of a hassle.

But with the new information that you have posted, in your case, it seems to make sense.....

And I'm glad you have not had any credit card (fraud) problems.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wow, 45 minutes....I'd probably pay double not to go through that too. I guess the difference is the planeload of tourists, as opposed to American Airlines out of JFK to SDQ, where I can count the tourists on one hand, 99% Dominican or dual citizens like Mr. AE who don't need the card. Have never waited more than about 2 minutes, if that.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
And on top of that, the Brugal stand with free rum at POP, makes the short wait pleasurable.

Having said that, Jetair used to include them in their fare. The last time I flew Arkefly (aaaargggghhhhhh....), and I had to buy one on arrival. Thank god for Brugal... I needed it after that horrible flight.

BelgianK

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When doing online purchases it is best to use a Virtual Account number. That means you are using a credit card number that is good for only one use with a maximum limit you set and it expires quickly if not used. Check for a credit card company that offers such a service. It works very well and protects your actual credit card number from fraud.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
When doing online purchases it is best to use a Virtual Account number. That means you are using a credit card number that is good for only one use with a maximum limit you set and it expires quickly if not used. Check for a credit card company that offers such a service. It works very well and protects your actual credit card number from fraud.

I concur, excellent idea, credit card fraud is not victimless.......many people suffer terrible hardships because of the unscrupulous and evil fraudsters that operate on the uneducated.

dave

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
@Reidy620 - We all have different opinions!

If you obtain pleasure by purchasing your tourist card before your flight, I am truly happy for you and the misses.

I never waited more than five or ten minutes to buy mine in POP, SDQ, or STI. If I went to the RD Embassy in my home city, it would take me more than 45 minutes of my time that I can spend buying gifts for my beloved Dominican wives @ Century 21. I am never in any sort of rush in RD, but that is what I choose to do with my time, and I respect how you spend your time.

No need to attack others with contrasting opinions mate.

felicidades,

ian

PS: They used to sell them at the counter in Newark @ CO for $11, JAJA!

I'm usually one of the first ones off the plane and have never had to wait to buy a card. Just have exact change and you're good to go.