Migracion opens an office in Punta Cana

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Yes, this is great news. No more having to pay dearly with the stresses, monetary costs of traveling and staying in Santo Domingo; only upon your arrival at migracion to find out you need this or that, come back tomorrow.

Hopefully, we can expect a staff in Veron who will professionally serve the client. Time will tell.

Regards,

PJT

Lifeisgood

Jan 3, 2011
Hi Kate,
Thanks for sharing...I am taking a trip to Punta Cana at the end of September. (I got a good deal on airfare plus 3 nights stay at an all inclusive resort through AAA). I am staying total 9 nights to explore more of DR. And my main goal is to get started on the residency process in the DR, to eventually acquire the passport.

I don't have all the thousands right now to go directly with a lawyer, and I've always been a big Do it yourself-er (although sometimes it is better not to hah)

Originally I was thinking I'd have to use a lawyer's help in Santo Domingo. But, do you think I could work everything out to at least start my temporary residence at that new office in Punta Cana? I think I read somewhere awhile back that, at the beginning, its necessary to go to Santo Domingo anyways? then renewals, etc. can be handled in other offices?

Thanks!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
According to the new rules, you have to start the process by applying via the DR consulate in your country of origin. See all the recent threads in the Living forum dealing with the subject, which is far from clear unfortunately.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I read in Bavaro News last week that this office is now apparently set to renew residencies, emit exit authorizations for minors, etc without having to go to Santo Domingo. Anyone have any news on this?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I read in Bavaro News last week that this office is now apparently set to renew residencies, emit exit authorizations for minors, etc without having to go to Santo Domingo. Anyone have any news on this?

It would be interesting if that office can renew residencies, but the one in Santiago cannot.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I want one in santiago. A real one......................

Maybe some day. It would sure beat having to make trips to Santo Domingo. BUT, how is this going to be done if you still need to have medical exams done at the specific clinics in Santo Domingo? (I know they could set up a clinic in the locale, but they would have to think in advance about that.)

(I have to make one of those trips anyway since the only place my cedula can be renewed is in Santo Domingo. Even if they allow residency renewal again in Santiago, we (residents) all still need to go to Santo Domingo for cedula renewals. )

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Maybe some day. It would sure beat having to make trips to Santo Domingo. BUT, how is this going to be done if you still need to have medical exams done at the specific clinics in Santo Domingo? (I know they could set up a clinic in the locale, but they would have to think in advance about that.)

(I have to make one of those trips anyway since the only place my cedula can be renewed is in Santo Domingo. Even if they allow residency renewal again in Santiago, we (residents) all still need to go to Santo Domingo for cedula renewals. )

According to the article, they're soon going to have a local solution for the medical exam. So not quite sure right now how it works. I'll try to head over on Friday after lunch to see if I can get more info and will post then. Mine's due this month so if I can avoid the 2 trips, I won't complain! I'm even willing to renew 1 or 2 months late and pay the fee. It'll still be cheaper than going to SD!

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
According to the article, they're soon going to have a local solution for the medical exam. So not quite sure right now how it works. I'll try to head over on Friday after lunch to see if I can get more info and will post then. Mine's due this month so if I can avoid the 2 trips, I won't complain! I'm even willing to renew 1 or 2 months late and pay the fee. It'll still be cheaper than going to SD!

Good afternoon. We tried to use the office in Veron in April to renew our permanent residency. They were open, with three employees, but not functioning. They told us we still had to go to Santo Domingo, which we did and it went very smoothly there but you still need to make 2 trips.

Good luck!
Rick

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Good news!! Just went by this afternoon and they ARE now receiving residency applications and renewals. I spoke to the gentleman in charge, Sr. Miguel Rodriguez Heyaime and he was very nice and helpful. They're open from 9-3pm if I remember correctly and the best part is the medical exam is done right next to their office in Plaza Velero. The most difficult step now is getting the papel de buena conducta in Higuey but I ain't complaining!!! The cost and timeframe is basically the same as for Santo Domingo, 4500 medical exam, 100 aplication form and 8000 for renewal of permanent residency.

For those interested in going, the office is in Cruce de Veron, Plaza Velero (the largish plaza with metal statues out front). You go up to the second floor, hang a left as if you were heading towards the police station and at the end there's a hallway on the right. The office is almost at the end of that hallway, there's no signage yet but you'll see nice blue waiting room chairs, a receptionist's desk and 2 cashier's windows. Here's the number on Sr. Rodriguez's card is 809-508-2555 but it appears the number is not working at the moment. You can be sure I'll be getting my renewal started next week!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It provides a glimmer of hope that Santiago or Puerto Plata might provide such capability.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I was able to complete step 1 today for my permanent residency renewal (there was no internet last week and therefore they couldn't receive any payments...). Paid my 4,500 for the medical exam, handed over 2 copies of my passport, cedula and residency (all on 1 paper), got a receipt and one of copies back with a stamp authorizing the medical exam. The guy in charge of the office was in and out while I was there talking to other foreigners and directly supervising everything. Hopefully he'll keep it up. Walked down the hall, took a right and entered what at first glance appeared to be an abandoned office but no, it was where they take the samples. No electricity connected there yet, not too impressive but hey, anything to save myself a trip to Santo Domingo. The guy taking the samples asked me some health questions, took a blood sample and asked me to step behind a divider for the urine sample. I was happy to see that he didn't see the need to supervise me doing that so even though the conditions were not the best, at least I was able to do my business away from prying eyes... From there he told me to go to Hospiten for the chest x-ray. Hospiten are still a bit in the air about the whole process but managed to get it worked out. NOTE: bring an extra copy of your documents when you go, they don't tell you that at Migracion or the sample taking place. I was lucky enough (or unlucky) to be well known there as a recurring patient so they made the copy for me but originally the supervisor's instructions were to send me away. 15 minutes later I was walking back out again and the x-ray will be given directly to Migracion, same as in SD. I was told to check back in to Migracion in 10-15 days to see if they've received the results and to proceed to step 2, depositing the documents.

Since I was off today I went ahead and got my picture taken at Digital Veron (plaza Genaro), these need to be deposited with the documents. Also went to Higuey to the Centro de Servicio al Ciudadano to get my papel de buena conducta. It's located on Cese Catherina which is the street that's parallel to the one where the Palacio de Justicia is, next one down if you're heading towards Punta Cana. It's the next door down from the Ministerio Publico and it's not really identified apart from their logo on the door. Copy of my cedula, 330 pesos receipt from Banco de Reservas and 20 minutes later I was walking out with my document. Oftentimes there's no system so don't be surprised if you have to make repeat trips to get it done. Other option is to pay someone from Higuey to get it done for you instead of taking multiple trips up.

Hope this can be of help to someone, I'll update when I complete the next step.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
good to hear they will get it started, it was planned since years, they formerly even had rooms rented up in Bavaro and started to furnich the place, but then it was stopped and gone, that was around 2 years ago i guess.

keep us up to date how it finally works out, no more rides to la Capital for the people in Bavaro/PC would be a great improvement, and in case something is missing and a extra visit necessary, hey, its right here around the corner, not a full day voyage away each ride.
GOOOD

Mike

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
On to step 2 today. It had sorta slipped my mind that Migracion closes at 3 and I just happened to arrive there a few seconds before 3 when the staff was leaving. Guess it was my lucky day though as the manager just happened to be walking out and very generously offered to receive my documents and payment and said I could come by on Monday or Tuesday to pick up the receipt. Since I finish after 4:30 every other day of the week besides Friday, I was more than happy to oblige! Soooo documents deposited (permanent residency renewal) were:

Original documents + 4 copies of everything except for the form
Copy of passport
Copy of cedula (both sides to be safe)
Original residency card
Medical exam receipt
Papel de buena conducta that I had already gotten in Higuey
Letter of employment with my annual income (if you don't have this then you can include a property or vehicle title, bank letter, guarantor or basically anything that can prove that you have the economic means to live here)
2 pictures
8,000 pesos

He told me he's going up to Santo Domingo on Wednesday to deposit the papers and unless there's a problem with my picture (which he doesn't anticipate since the past one was taken 2 years ago and I haven't really changed), I should have my new card by next Friday. They're working on getting a camera here to take the pictures locally so people don't have to go to Santo Domingo for this.

All in all a very pain-free process that was actually easier than in Santo Domingo believe it or not!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
So just to clarify... this is only for the residency card... and NOT the cedula? That would make it useless for those of us that have to renew every year because both the residency card and cedula expire at the same time.