Directv on north coast

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't know of anyone with DirecTV or even if it is possible to receive the signal in the DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Call Dolphi in Sosua. 809-224-3111. He can set you up. He speaks fluent English.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I second the vote for DISH which still requires two or three 2 meter dishes to get satellites 110, 119 and one of the main satellites for HD (72.7) is still a bit weak even with that size. But sometimes DISH just does not have what you want.

Is there anyone successfully getting DirecTV? Dolphi would know.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We currently have DISH and very happy with it. A bit $$, but good service and lots to watch.

Bob K

Dougwin13

Aug 11, 2012
I already have directv doen here but I am missing my even transponders except for #2 & 10. I was just trying to find someone else who has it or knows about directv to see if they have problems or suld help me. I talked to dolphi awhile ago and he told me i need a bigger dish but i already have an 8' dish. I really dont think that is the problem. Also, i know its possible to get all channels because I've been to lifestyle resort in puerto plata and their sports bar has directv. I need all my transponders to get my nfl sunday ticket. I know i could go with sky but the games are in spanish. If anyone can help please let me know! Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I already have directv doen here but I am missing my even transponders except for #2 & 10. I was just trying to find someone else who has it or knows about directv to see if they have problems or suld help me. I talked to dolphi awhile ago and he told me i need a bigger dish but i already have an 8' dish. I really dont think that is the problem. Also, i know its possible to get all channels because I've been to lifestyle resort in puerto plata and their sports bar has directv. I need all my transponders to get my nfl sunday ticket. I know i could go with sky but the games are in spanish. If anyone can help please let me know! Thanks

Do you have a way to try a different LNB?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Someone called SKY recently and was told that they no longer have representatives in the Dominican Republic. Does anyone know if this is correct? They called the SKY number for Nagua.

We had DirecTV for a long time but they either repositioned the satellites or focused the beams a little tighter (more likely the latter). We started getting real bad reception to no reception about 3 years ago so we contacted Dolfy and moved over the DishNetwork. Probably a bigger dish would allow collection of more signal but it still would be a risky test.

DishNetwork is perfect here and we have dual LNBs so we get both satellites, thus every channel they beam. But it ain't cheap!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can definitely get Direct TV with a big dish. We use it in our Sportbooks in the DR. In the Hard Rock we have 86 TV's running on Direct TV. But you would not want to use the size of our Dish's in your backyard.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
those guys in fields of dream hotel have directTV. maybe drop them an email or something?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Someone called SKY recently and was told that they no longer have representatives in the Dominican Republic. Does anyone know if this is correct? They called the SKY number for Nagua.

We had DirecTV for a long time but they either repositioned the satellites or focused the beams a little tighter (more likely the latter). We started getting real bad reception to no reception about 3 years ago so we contacted Dolfy and moved over the DishNetwork. Probably a bigger dish would allow collection of more signal but it still would be a risky test.

DishNetwork is perfect here and we have dual LNBs so we get both satellites, thus every channel they beam. But it ain't cheap!

It actually takes 3 satellites to get everything DISH sends out. Either the western arc of 110?/119?/129? or the eastern arc of 61.5?/ 72.7?/ and 77? Programming other than locals will mirror that of the Western Arc of 110?, 119? and 129?. Here in the DR 110?/119? have a fairly strong signal and 72.7? is weaker but would work on a clear day and would give you the best coverage since 129? does not reach this far. 72.7? has the bulk of the HD channels and is a mirror of 129? for that purpose. Here most people would use one 2 meter dish with 2 LNBs to get 110?/119 and optionally have another dish for 72.7.

Dougwin13

Aug 11, 2012
I actually own a sportsbar in cabarete so i could put it on the roof. How big is the dish u are using? Do u get all the transponders? And do u get all the nfl games on sunday ticket?

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
I have had DirectV on the north coast for about two years. I point at one sat (101..I think) with the big dish. Like someone else mentioned I only get the even transponders (or the other way around...I can't remember) and only receive about 60% of all channels offered. Forget about the Sunday NFL Ticket! Something happened and they are no longer in the "footprint" to recieve here. I got a few of them a couple years ago, but last season.....nothing. I have tried multiple LNB's..., done polarity tests....until I was blue in the face. My DirecTV SUB runs out next month and I am going to switch to DISH. I know I can use two LNB's to hit 110 and 119 which is where DISH is. (I have done this before by adding a second LNB with a piece of threaded rod bent properly...PITA...but works). As far as Football goes.....you can use Sirius that works quite well here and all the NFL games are available. Also....with decent Bandwidth on Internet, any NFL game can be received online (either legal or not). They are all there. Hook the Laptop up to the TV in the Ticki Hut, crack a Cerveza..... and POOF!

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
One more thing....I did here that the Claro sat TV system carried the Sunday NFL ticket. Call Wendy's in Luperon....I could be wrong.....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Claro has never had the NFL Sunday Ticket. I doubt they would have it now.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com

Found the same problem with my Direct TV reception a little over 2 years ago so I to switched to Dish. The new receiver cost was 5,000 pesos and it costs 3,000 pesos a year for the updated codes. Happy with the signal 98% of the time.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Found the same problem with my Direct TV reception a little over 2 years ago so I to switched to Dish. The new receiver cost was 5,000 pesos and it costs 3,000 pesos a year for the updated codes. Happy with the signal 98% of the time.

Hey Billy,
With reference to Dish "updated Codes"....are you referring to FTA (Viewsat box (whatever) server connection etc) or do you have a "subbed box" from the states that you carried here to the DR? Thanks!