Looking for a Club for my young children

JeiJei

Jan 12, 2012
I am looking for a place in Santiago (A Club) where my young children who are under 9 years old can do various activities such as tennis, basketball, natation, soccer, baseball etc.

They call those places (A Club). I have visited a few but the inscription fees were around 30,000 pesos which is just about $800 way 2 expensive (at least for me it is) and the monthly fees were around 700 pesos (I can deal with the monthly fee) on top of that I will need to know someone who is already a member in that club to get those prices otherwise the inscription fee will be higher.

Would you happen to know some clubs where the inscription fee is not that high?
If you do, please provide address, phone number, price etc...

Thank you.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
I think Hillbilly's response was more of a statement, as those are the only two options you have in Santiago in that price range/social strata. When I moved here 7+ years ago with 3 sons we joined Amaprosan. It was useful for them making friends and they have baseball/basketball/swimming/tennis etc. as well as a pool and a decent enough kitchen to hang out and have a couple of cold ones and socialize.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is so not right!!! Although as a parent I have often wanted to find a club!!! Who hasn't???? She is looking for a club for the kids, not a club to take to the kids, but a club to take the kids to....okay???????? I know you were playing with words...JEJE

HB

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I think Hillbilly's response was more of a statement, as those are the only two options you have in Santiago in that price range/social strata. When I moved here 7+ years ago with 3 sons we joined Amaprosan. It was useful for them making friends and they have baseball/basketball/swimming/tennis etc. as well as a pool and a decent enough kitchen to hang out and have a couple of cold ones and socialize.

Is there any that cost above 30k RD$ to become a member of, I don't want my kids hanging out with just anyone..

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
sayonara?you could TRY to get into centro espanol, but probably wouldn?t get accepted. theyre elitist but not ridiculous.

JeiJei

Jan 12, 2012
Great, I went out to check out Gurabito and Amaprosan, they are pretty much the same price.
Gurabito is asking 30,000 pesos +700 pesos monthly plus 1200 pesos for swimming lessons per child.
Amaprosan is asking 25, 000 +800 pesos monthly plus you have to pay 1000 pesos for swimming lessons per child.
In both cases I will need to find 3 people who are already a member to sign my application which will be a problem since I don?t know any members.
Hillbilly, Redscot based on your experience which one is the best Gurabito or Amaprosan. Please explain your choice.

Jeijei

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Great, I went out to check out Gurabito and Amaprosan, they are pretty much the same price.
Gurabito is asking 30,000 pesos +700 pesos monthly plus 1200 pesos for swimming lessons per child.
Amaprosan is asking 25, 000 +800 pesos monthly plus you have to pay 1000 pesos for swimming lessons per child.
In both cases I will need to find 3 people who are already a member to sign my application which will be a problem since I don?t know any members.
Hillbilly, Redscot based on your experience which one is the best Gurabito or Amaprosan. Please explain your choice.

Jeijei

You get what you pay for!

I understand that going for the Centro Espa?ol can be a bit pricey, but the activities and social relations your kids will get from it are priceless! I don't mean to belittle the other clubs at all, but to make you see a part of why the club is so expensive in contrast to the other two. The facilities are unmatched by any other club in the region and social activities will allow you to network in the city, where as you said, you're limited on friends.

Just so you get the idea, social clubs like Casa Espa?a and Centro Espa?ol in the DR were fashioned to the same ideals and MO of those in Spain and much of Europe today. They were meant as centers to socialize and network first and as entertainment second. Gurabito and Amaprosan were and still are clubs to enjoy a good time and resting from the daily chores.

I understand that the requirements to join the Centro Espa?ol can be daunting and seem about impossible for some, but there's a reason for that. It must make sure that the social network it caters for the members is properly vetted and as much attention is given to the new member's social character.

All you need is a single member to link you into it, as they'll be able to come up with the other members to vouch for you when the time comes to pass muster.

If you're planning to live in the DR for a relative long time, this is the best you can provide your children's with! Social contacts within the membership's network is priceless!