From South Korea to Dr

Yena Chang

Aug 12, 2012
Hi all,

Hello,

My name is Yena Chang. I am a single woman in my thirties, I am from Seoul, Korea and am moving to Dominican Republic this September to work for a Korean-owned company. I can't speak Spanish at all and fortunately, the CEO and the executives are all Korean and so speaking Spanish is the most urgent matter. However, I should eventually speak the language because I will be in managerial role of human resources for the employees who are Dominican. For the time being, I will use English in communicating with the employees and I will have a translator.

Anyways, I am completely new to this country. Never been to any other country in central or south America. I have been to the states quite often for study and friends, to Europe and Asian countries for business but never been to Latin America. I visited Santo Domingo and Haiti before I signed the contract with my future company for a week with their financial support so I know how it is for a bit. However, I have tons of questions to ask and most of all, I realized I do need friends!!!

I happened to find this website and I hope I will finds some decent friends that I can share common interests together. Let me post one prayer I made to God when I decided to go to DR. That will explain what kind of friends I want. :) However, whomever decent, smart, fun-loving, open-minded, polite, passionate, religious are all welcome! Feel free to send me messages and post replies. We can also become Facebook friends.

Lord, please help me find at least 8 friends below in a new place then it will be like a paradise i will be fully motivated whatever i do wherever i go... it would be even better if you can give me the one who has everything :)...

A friend who practices Yoga, understands all the benefits of it and carry out nice conversation about it
A friend who can exercise together at the gym and can swim together in the swimming pool
A friend who can share the same vision and goals in life together and encourage each other
A friend who can talk about work and motivate each other
A friend who can enjoy nice food in restaurants and at home
A friend who has similar tastes in fashion, accessories and cosmetics and can support each other's choices
A friend who can plan some fun & exciting things together on the weekend or on vacation
Last but not least, a friend who I can freely let out my feelings on when I am frustrated with people esp. with the guys ;D

-Yena

Yena Chang

Aug 12, 2012
Hi, Hillbilly,

i will be working in Santo Domingo and might visit Haiti sometimes for manufacturing site. :) Do you live in Santo Domingo?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry, I am in Santiago. We have a sizable Korean population here, but I am sure you will find many Koreans there in Santo Domingo. There is plenty to do and you will certainly have a lot of fun with that positive attitude!!

And you can always visit Santiago!!

CIAO!

HB

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Welcome Yena. I wish you luck in your endeavour. If I may ask what is your company manufacturing ?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Hi all,

Hello,

My name is Yena Chang. I am a single woman in my thirties, I am from Seoul, Korea and am moving to Dominican Republic this September to work for a Korean-owned company. I can't speak Spanish at all and fortunately, the CEO and the executives are all Korean and so speaking Spanish is the most urgent matter. However, I should eventually speak the language because I will be in managerial role of human resources for the employees who are Dominican. For the time being, I will use English in communicating with the employees and I will have a translator.

Anyways, I am completely new to this country. Never been to any other country in central or south America. I have been to the states quite often for study and friends, to Europe and Asian countries for business but never been to Latin America. I visited Santo Domingo and Haiti before I signed the contract with my future company for a week with their financial support so I know how it is for a bit. However, I have tons of questions to ask and most of all, I realized I do need friends!!!

I happened to find this website and I hope I will finds some decent friends that I can share common interests together. Let me post one prayer I made to God when I decided to go to DR. That will explain what kind of friends I want. :) However, whomever decent, smart, fun-loving, open-minded, polite, passionate, religious are all welcome! Feel free to send me messages and post replies. We can also become Facebook friends.

Lord, please help me find at least 8 friends below in a new place then it will be like a paradise i will be fully motivated whatever i do wherever i go... it would be even better if you can give me the one who has everything :)...

A friend who practices Yoga, understands all the benefits of it and carry out nice conversation about it
A friend who can exercise together at the gym and can swim together in the swimming pool
A friend who can share the same vision and goals in life together and encourage each other
A friend who has similar tastes in fashion, accessories and cosmetics and can support each other's choices
A friend who can plan some fun & exciting things together on the weekend or on vacation
Last but not least, a friend who I can freely let out my feelings on when I am frustrated with people esp. with the guys ;D

-Yena

Hey...
I am in same shoes except I am in different town with wife and kid.

As there are more Koreans living in Santo Domingo, I believe you will find who ever looking for in Korean churches in Santo Domingo. I heard there are three. If you have good faith, I suggest even try good churches that are runned by English/Dominican pastor as well. It won't be easy. But it would be faster route learning Spanish and it can be less headache for your personal life. But be very VERY careful on who you be friended with (even with Koreans). Not everything is done in the same way as in Korea or US.

Remember Korean community is VERY small here so one small bad incident everybody will know what have happened and questioned you for every single thing. Like this Sunday we missed church and pastor's wife called and asked million questions why we weren't in church this weekend and so on. By now every boses wife(samomim) should be spreading bad rumors about me and my wife on lacking in faith, life style and so on...

As another Korean American living in DR...
I wish you luck...

cndfirefighter

Aug 3, 2011
A friend from Seoul

If you would like Yena you could contact my wife Kyong naturalchoice8@yahoo.com she travels to Haiti and spends the winters in Sosua
Hello,

-Yena[/QUOTE]

LivingHappy

Dec 13, 2011
Have you arrived in the DR yet? I sent you a PM with some info check your inbox.
Hope you are enjoying yourself here!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Clearly an educated and sophisticated lady. I think she is in for a dose of culture shock, given the work ethic that the Koreans posses. You will be fine!! Good luck