Fine Dining Experience...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
In a couple of weeks, my wife and I will be celebrating a couple of things. 3 years of living here, and her birthday.

I would like to treat her to a fine dining experience, as this is something we have both been missing over here. By fine dining I mean a sophisticated meal by a real chef, with the wines to go with it. Not "un filete de cerdo con salsa de ...."...

Do not get me wrong, we have gotten some very decent meals here, especially if you consider the price. But they are not "fine dining"

Anybody any suggestions, preferably on the NC?

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i suggest a restaurant in hotel casa colonial in playa dorada complex. you can start off with drinks in their lounge/bar area: live piano music, serene atmosphere and excellent service. then a dinner in adjusting restaurant.

mares has great food too, i am told. it is in POP city centre, close to tropical. entrance via another restaurant, i believe.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I have two favorites: Waterfront in Sosua and Las Palmas in Puerto Plata. Both have extensive menus, nice wine lists, and excellent service. The food is very nicely prepared and presented. Waterfront has the best view (on the ocean) but Las Palmas is an oasis in the city on the same street as the police station.

Aug 21, 2007
Waterfronts is one of our favorite restaurants. I love Las Palmas. But for a special occasion, I still would choose Sea Horse Ranch.

Lindsey

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Years ago El Meson de Cava was good but I took some out of town friends there and while the ambiance was good the food to me is not as good as in the past. For me I think your paying more for the "ambiance" rather the quality of the food. Don't get moe wrong it is a nice place to go but food wise not so sure.

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
Years ago El Meson de Cava was good but I took some out of town friends there and while the ambiance was good the food to me is not as good as in the past. For me I think your paying more for the "ambiance" rather the quality of the food. Don't get moe wrong it is a nice place to go but food wise not so sure.
Well, tell me yours best resto in R.D.???

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Try Otra Cosa in Cabarete, on the calle sin salida by Hotel Velero (end of the street).
Serious chef, great food and wine.
If you wanna go really upscale, try Castellamonte in Cabrera and spend the weekend. VIP there.
Both pricey, both very good. $$$.
Waterfront is......ok food, but poor service. Best views anywhere, at sunset, however.

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
I remember a restaurant to Sosua.
I do not remember myself of the name of the hotel.
In 1998 the hotel presented a show(entertainment) on Saturdays evenings.
There was a restaurant with a menu at $100 minimum.
The waiters(servers) had white gangs to receive you.
If, somebody knows this hotel he(it) makes a sign to(tells) me.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hi Peter,

I am flying back to Canada to pick up some more Belgium chocolate in the next 2 weeks however I could offer a date night sampler on 2 or 3 evenings.

The meatballs from Canada were terrible so I gave them away , but not through the proper channels !

Deep fried shrimps, scallops and lobster is a thought but if I can find some fresh Dorado we will switch to a Boulliabasse theme.

BAM !

Bouillabaisse Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Casa Veinte Uno in Sosua. Top Belgium Chef with poolside dining. You will never believe you are in the DR.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Casa Veinti Uno would definitely be my choice too and they have a good selection of great wines. Sos?a-News - Restaurant Guide In my view it only just falls short of a Fine Dining Expereince but it is the best in Sosua. It is also top of Trip adviser restaurant list for Sosua. You might want to check they when they are open!
The last time we were at Waterfront it was disappointing. View is still great but the quality of the Magaritas and food has deteriorated. The wine list is still excellent though.
La Parrillada Steak House (Sosua) would be another possible choice- La Parrillada Steak House & Bar - HOME but during the day the ambiance suffers from a dusty car park but it improves at night when you tend to focus on the interior of the restaurant. The steaks are excellent but the wine list poor. The margaritas were not good at all! We also found the Maitre D overly attentive and a bit of a pest.
There aren't really any others in Sosua that come near the fine dining experience.
Casa Colonial in Puerto Plata would be another choice for excellent dining but the check may take the pleasure away!

Of the other restaurants mentioned we have not been to lately so cant really comment.

Olly and the team

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
How about Otra Cosa in Cabarete?

Or Casa 21 in Sosua?

**edit**
didn't see the rest of the posts...already mentioning these two restaurants...but they are probably the two best in the area...Casa Colonial is also up there, for a more traditional "fine dining" experience.

drbcabarete

Oct 21, 2005
In Calle Jon de la Loma, just before Cabarete (town), is Bliss. This is a lovely restaurant with a husband/wife team owning and managing it. He is a world class chef and she is a delightful hostess. The setting is beautiful, around a small pool and the food has always been excellent. Sea Horse is good but can be busy depending on the night. Another beautiful setting is Al Porto in the project just before Sosua on the right. Setting is lovely though the food has been disappointing and the prices never match the quality of the food. Not a big fan of Otra Cosas due to noise and furnishings, very uncomfortable chairs and prices are a little high. Casa Colonial is excellent though it is almost in Puerto Plata and an ugly drive from either Sosua or Cabarete at night. Maranja, (sp?) in the Viva Hotel in Cabarete has had some very decent meals. It is another pretty place with great service and close by for Cabarete folks. Enjoy all of them.