DR Olympic Medal Count-Best of the "2's"

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
The DR with their 1 gold and 1 silver beat out all the other "2" medal nations like Moldova and Singapore (a town in Asia). Next up will be to try and win inclusion to the "3's" with the likes of Tunisia and Armenia. Honestly, I was very moved by the emotions of Felix Sanchez during the award ceremony. Great achievement.

And we can't forget to salute the Brit hosts who came through big time. 35 of their 65 medals came in events that you sit down at. Yep. Getting in done on their arse. Cycling, rowing, equestrian, sailing, canoeing and bar stool drinking. Actually I made that last one up but it's probably true. I'm gonna meet a Brit buddy later for a couple pints and ask. Farmer.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The DR with their 1 gold and 1 silver beat out all the other "2" medal nations like Moldova and Singapore (a town in Asia). Next up will be to try and win inclusion to the "3's" with the likes of Tunisia and Armenia. Honestly, I was very moved by the emotions of Felix Sanchez during the award ceremony. Great achievement.

By coincidence, I talked just an hour ago with a young Dominican tennis player who plays for her university in the US. She said that when she graduates in June she is turning pro. Talking about that, she said she will be getting some financial support from the Dominican government as she tries to progress to the point where she can fully support herself with prize money and endorsements. Because of the Olympics, she said, the Dominican government is identifying the best athletes in the different sports and giving them some support. They can train wherever they want, but must compete as Dominicans in the Olympics.

Hopefully we will see her in Rio in 2016 along with other capable young Dominicans.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well like I said in another post my hope is that athletes like Felix and Luguelin can inspire others to follow in their footsteps and we can become a big contender in the 400 meters. In addition we should encourage certain disciplines where we may have a shot (i.e. Boxing, Taekwondo, Judo, Weight Lifting) and additionally continue to support Volleyball and for god's sake help out Yamilet...I think of all our athletes I'm most proud of her.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Well like I said in another post my hope is that athletes like Felix and Luguelin can inspire others to follow in their footsteps and we can become a big contender in the 400 meters. In addition we should encourage certain disciplines where we may have a shot (i.e. Boxing, Taekwondo, Judo, Weight Lifting) and additionally continue to support Volleyball and for god's sake help out Yamilet...I think of all our athletes I'm most proud of her.[/QUOTE
I agree with you 100% about Yamilet. I've been coaching competitive gymnastics for 25 years now and appreciate what she and her coach were able to accomplish with the meager resources available to them. It was quite a feat. I hope the individuals who hold the purse strings that hold the coins for athlete training and support, see what can be accomplished if the right training environment is available to those who have the aptitude for their sport of choice.