Immigration Website is up again!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do you know Mido if it looks any different than it was before all the "snow bird" discussions took place? In other words is it just the same data as before re-posted?

Here is a direct link to the fees including the overstay fees which are under the sub title:

IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA

http://www.migracion.gov.do/servtarifas.html

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Some tariffs look modified, for example the overstay penalty after 7 years (additional RD$500.00 per extra year) and there is a link to the new regulation on the homepage. There is also a tariff for renewing temporary residence, wasn't there before. It looks very different than before.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Looks good. If you try to navigate the site, it says certain pages are under constuction...will be updated in 46 days or so. I hope this list is correct and is not going to be updated along with the others. The extra 500rd I have not seen before.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I am a Canadian Snowbird and this page make me very happy.

If this were a Canadian Government Web Page I wouldn't be asking thus question....but

When do we know it is a real, truthful, not a mistake, not a “opps” page?

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
I just renewed my tourist card at migracion last week. They gave me 30 days extension. K

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
I just renewed my tourist card at migracion last week. They gave me 30 days extension. K

Hi i arrived in DR on the 7 of july, soon my 2 months tourist will expire, so next week i will go to immigracion.
I want to stay here until february as tourist, do you think there's a way to get more extension than the onetime 2 months or will i need to go back to my country?
Last years i always payed the fine at the airport like everyone but now i'm scared as i will be illegal after 4 months, right? Please what should i do?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It doesn't make any difference, you were technically illegal before as well. That is the amusing thing about the process before, people were welcome to be illegally in the country and just pay an overstay tax/fine. I know, it is difficult to get the head around it as it is so weird.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi i arrived in DR on the 7 of july, soon my 2 months tourist will expire, so next week i will go to immigracion.
I want to stay here until february as tourist, do you think there's a way to get more extension than the onetime 2 months or will i need to go back to my country?
Last years i always payed the fine at the airport like everyone but now i'm scared as i will be illegal after 4 months, right? Please what should i do?

I don't think there is a clear answer on what you can do.

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
the fact is that i can ask for the 2 months extension and go to my country and then come bak to DR with the residency visa, otherwise i just stay here two months illegal, hoping nothing bad happens...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
the fact is that i can ask for the 2 months extension and go to my country and then come bak to DR with the residency visa, otherwise i just stay here two months illegal, hoping nothing bad happens...

In the condominium where I live there are owners who do not have residency and who live here year around. One neighbor just came back from a month's visit to Bermuda, where he used to live, and will be staying here for the coming 10 or twelve months. He paid the fine when he left and when he returned nobody said anything to him about any changes in the rules or procedures.

He is one of the fortunate ones who rarely takes a look at DR1. He is not worried about any problems because he is staying and expects to pay the usual fine next time he leaves.

Why should he worry? When he reentered the country he was not advised of any change in procedure, the government has not sent out communications to travel agents or airlines about any change in procedure, there has been nothing in the international media to advise people that there are changes that affect them.

i am sure the government is not going to send the troops to his apartment and drag he and his family to the airport and deport them. I don't expect the government to expropriate his apartment because he has overstayed.

I do expect next time he leaves he will pay a fine, I don't expect he will have a problem when he returns from that future trip.

Aug 21, 2007
Ken- You and I are on the same wavelength. I made a similar type of post on the other thread about immigration.

Lindsey

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Everything still looks the same on the website...no mention of changes to come...snowbird season is starting.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I am a Snow Bird, and I am returning to the DR in 2 weeks......

I am not happy with the idea, that I may have to “suddenly” leave, in 60 days
or
To be told on my exit (next Spring), that I am in violation of something, and have too..... ?

You think with all these new DR Taxes (fiscal shortage caused by?), that some DR Politician would take the time, to reassure the Snowbird (that they scared off this summer) that they (and their $$$) are welcome in the DR this Winter.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have given the person at the immigration booth at "Las Americas" a thousand pesos to let me "OUT" (When the "Fine" is thousands more!)
And I'll bet that they will take a "Thou" to let me back in!
If it ever comes to that.
I seriously doubt it ever will!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC