Taboo topics here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
I see several closed threads...It seems that the minute someone mentions certain topics, the solution is to close the thread...If there is a list of "forbidden topics" I would like to get it, not to bother discussing them.

If there is no such list, I fail to see the point of closing threads.

If a specific poster behaves in an abusive or improper manner, it is the specific poster who should bare the consequences, not "the thread", or the other posters who are otherwise participating properly.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, if they express themselves correctly. If I am tired of arguing a point or no longer find a discussion interesting I simply stop following the thread...I do it myself. But if others want to continue the discussion, so be it...their time, not mine....

...that is not to say that there should be no rules...certain rules are necessary and certain behavior should NOT be tolerated (insults, spam, etc)...Other than that, I suppose that each one should be able to decide when to stop following a discussion.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
1. Sex with animals, fruit, vegetables, or pay for play.
2. Racist topics
3. NON-Dominican related topics
4. Pro-Android threads
5. ANOECA related threads

***The board is privately owned and moderated, if you do not like it, leave!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
6. Religion not directly related to the DR, and even then..
7. Posting negative comments about a business without identifying yourself and clearly stating the complaints.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
The religion part is so funny!

It reminds me of the time when a Washington DC city employee used the word 'niggardly' in reference to some budgetary concerns, and he was fired because some folks thought he used the N-word. I made a comment about it, and my boss at the time asked me not to use the word again at my place of employment. Intelligent folks here at DR1, until religion is bashed.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Religion can be discussed in off topic forums.

Here's my list:

1. Any thread positive about the DR.
2. Anything Tambo doesn't like with banning as punishment.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sometimes the OP will ask for the thread to be closed or worse deleted when they don`t like the answers they are given.

When you can`t get 2-3 posters to stop bickering among themselves and it`s easier to just close a thread than clean three pages of crap and those that quoted the crap.

You only have 447 more posts to go and you`ll be able to join the big boys club where you can chatter away about nada. :laugh:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pro-Android topics..... hahahahaha....... thats a good one.

My Droid Incredible and ASUS Transformer :lick:tablet are happy

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
1. Sex with animals, fruit, vegetables, or pay for play.
2. Racist topics
3. NON-Dominican related topics
4. Pro-Android threads
5. ANOECA related threads

***The board is privately owned and moderated, if you do not like it, leave!

6. Religion not directly related to the DR, and even then..
7. Posting negative comments about a business without identifying yourself and clearly stating the complaints.

Sometimes the OP will ask for the thread to be closed or worse deleted when they don`t like the answers they are given.

When you can`t get 2-3 posters to stop bickering among themselves and it`s easier to just close a thread than clean three pages of crap and those that quoted the crap.

You only have 447 more posts to go and you`ll be able to join the big boys club where you can chatter away about nada. :laugh:

Most of the 7 above are right on the money. The biggies are race and religion. When a thread goes wayyyy off topic and I can't steer it back on topic, it stands a good chance of being closed.

AnnaC is 100% right about the bickering.

If a thread is closed and you want to know why, send a message to the moderator who closed it. Normally we comment in a final post before closing, so we're easy to find.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No offense to those who have already opined but religion and non Dominican related topics are certainly ok as long as they are in the off topic forum. In fact Robert himself has started a thread regarding religion and Apple products of all things which have nothing to do with the DR of course.

The only requirement is that one needs to have 500 minimum posts in order to participate in the off topic forum. So all you newbies out there get cracking. :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Oh I just remembered another big one that drives most mods kookoo.

A Dominican related thread is started but soon some posters will turn the topic into `all about the USA, Europe or some other country and when warned they will argue with the mod that indeed the price of tea in China might some day :rolleyes: have an affect on the price of chicken in the DR. :) The thread soon has no resemblance to anything DR related

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh I just remembered another big one that drives most mods kookoo.

A Dominican related thread is started but soon some posters will turn the topic into `all about the USA, Europe or some other country and when warned they will argue with the mod that indeed the price of tea in China might some day :rolleyes: have an affect on the price of chicken in the DR. :) The thread soon has no resemblance to anything DR related

Just to give an example...

Contrary to public belief, there is not that much tea in China. !!:angry:

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Please add the the list:

9. Criticizing the Dominican Republic (aka telling the truth about the Dominican Republic)

10. Questioning those who, in a self interested manner, blindly promote Dominican Republic and gloss over it's problems - shhh don't be critical please, or my business will not grow.

11. Owner and publisher of this board falls into 9 + 10.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
They should be blended not beaten in any kind of bowl. Does not have to be super. :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Some of those topics are valid no-nos...However, 9 and 10 are not true...

However, there are fierce defenders of anything that the party in power (PLD) is doing; of the Dominican economy and anything going on in the country. However, the chief defender lives in Florida. The acolyte lives somewhere else in the USofA...

So we get on their rabid defenses of the DR, when we know or can show that they are way off base.

The big no nos are religion, spam, insulting others and going way off DR related...Hi-jacking threads is also frowned since it makes more work for us mods and they have not paid us the latest government mandated pay raises....

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.