question about how to get from santiago to puerto plata (and more)

NMMN

Aug 15, 2012
Hi,

i have a vacation planned for the end of august/beggining of september. i'm gonna land in Santiago at 3 am and i think i'll be out of the airport around 4.

is there any taxi service you can recommend? should i call before and schedule or is it better just to walk out and choose one? my hotel can help me reserve one but the price is 110$ one way. i thought it was around 80$ max.

i was also thinking about waiting until 6 am and take the caribe bus. how safe is it to wait there that early in the morning? how much is the taxi from the airport to the bus station?

and last question... can i pay in US dollars?

thank you ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes you can pay in dollars remembering the exchange rate is now 39 to one.
I can suggest that if you do not have a ton of luggage, you might take a taxi from the airport (about 15 dollars would be okay +/- $5) to the Supermercado Central. They have a nice cafeteria that will serve you a good breakfast of eggs, ham or bacon, toast and orange juice and coffee////or mang? if you want it...

From there you can amble over to Caribe Tours which is about 150 yards away on the other side of the street, and catch your bus...

Give it a thought.

HB

Michelle Clayton

Jul 10, 2012
I did a lot of research on this for our trip at the end of May. The bus option is probably the most economical & relatively easy.
5 of us were travelling there for the first time, 2 being young children, so ultimately we chose to use Isaira Tours With multiple people, the cost ended up being comparable & was a lot more direct & convenient. This was important to me, because you never know what mood the children will be in. We had a great experience using them. They were punctual, courteous, (even stopped for emergency potty break :lick:) and chatted with us when we initiated conversation & questions (in Spanish). I did all my e-mails in English with no problem. We paid 1/2 in advance with Paypal & 1/2 to driver at destination. I think it was about $90 each way.
I'm sure the bus & possibly other choices are cheaper if budget is top priority, but this option didn't seem unreasonable for the convenience.

NMMN

Aug 15, 2012
Hi,

thank you very much for your replies. i'll probably get there and decide if i can make a deal with a local cab or if i can stand the 2 hour wait for the bus.
Michelle i cannot use Isaira, i land at 3 am and they don't run so early in the morning. but thank you for the info.
any other suggestion is well appreciated ;)

Nicola