Beach businesses???

bizzysmitty

Aug 16, 2012
New to the forum so do take it easy please :) Had a couple questions that I couldn't find on here or the web in general, thought somone might be able to help (doesn't mean it wasn't findable, just that I can't usually even find my socks). With that said, what are the rules/laws governing businesses on the beaches? I've read something about the "60 meter rule" for bars and such. But I mean for something like a cabana rental or jet ski rental company that sets up at the water. Who owns the beach, government or private entitities? Does it require a tour operator's license? Sorry, I am either unable to find answers to these questions or am getting conflicting answers. Also, can someone recommend a reputable commercial liablity carrier for the DR? Appreciate any help anyone can provide. Have a good one.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
New to the forum so do take it easy please :) Had a couple questions that I couldn't find on here or the web in general, thought somone might be able to help (doesn't mean it wasn't findable, just that I can't usually even find my socks). With that said, what are the rules/laws governing businesses on the beaches? I've read something about the "60 meter rule" for bars and such. But I mean for something like a cabana rental or jet ski rental company that sets up at the water. Who owns the beach, government or private entitities? Does it require a tour operator's license? Sorry, I am either unable to find answers to these questions or am getting conflicting answers. Also, can someone recommend a reputable commercial liablity carrier for the DR? Appreciate any help anyone can provide. Have a good one.

Yes i believe like most places, the beaches are part of the nation, controlled by government. The difference here is how to obtain such license/permission. This is a connection/corruption society so no certainties or guaranties, even if you were able to setup shop it could all be taken away overnight. You need to come and explore!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Very ironic, which is a word I have been using lately.

Right this instant, when I say your post, I happen to have a guy from the Alabama Gulf Coast here in my house, he is an old friend. He runs 5 parasailing boats, 400 beach chairs and a tour boat up there. It seems that he investigated the possibility of doing something in Punta Cana, and found the costs to be prohibitive.
In the first place, 100% (probably 98.5%) of your client base come in by air. So you can only attract them to your business by going through the hotels, and tour operators and they want a cut, big time.
In the second place the cost of getting your boats into the country would be very expensive. You can ask the boat owners on this board what their costs were.
And finally, the cost of doing business--employees, labor laws, Social Security and other issues were unclear, unfair or outrageous.

So he has stayed in Alabama...

Just so's you know.

HB

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
[QUOTE And finally, the cost of doing business--employees, labor laws, Social Security and other issues were unclear, unfair or outrageous [/QUOTE]

Now that hit's the nail on the head, pretty much sums up doing business here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Listen to HillBilly. The DR is a place to come after you have the money and not to make the money.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
[QUOTE And finally, the cost of doing business--employees, labor laws, Social Security and other issues were unclear, unfair or outrageous

Now that hit's the nail on the head, pretty much sums up doing business here.[/QUOTE]

Was this referring to starting a business in the US?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Lex Gringo

Was this referring to starting a business in the US?

Sayanora, how much of a Dominican are you?

Like PICHARDO?
Like Chip? :rolleyes:
Like NALs?
Like Aguaita29?

Just do not tell me the law is for everybody here.... :alien:
So, it does matter who runs a business here.

Remember 'Plaza Lama' and the customs?
Ever heard of the outcome?

donP

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Now that hit's the nail on the head, pretty much sums up doing business here.

Was this referring to starting a business in the US?[/QUOTE]

Nope, reference was to starting/running a business here in the DR.

bizzysmitty

Aug 16, 2012
Not really sure why there is such a negative mindset whenever anyone asks a question about starting a business in the DR. Entrepreneurs are a different breed. What you may see as unfair, impossible, or a waste of time we see as challenging and fun. Does anyone actually have an answers to my original questions or at least a point in the right direction in regards to tour operator licenses or beach permits. Any help is much appreciated.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
The beach in Sosua has an association the governs the main beach. I would think that would be. Place to start. Unfortunately I don't have any contact info for you. Any other members have have info?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Go for it!

Not really sure why there is such a negative mindset whenever anyone asks a question about starting a business in the DR.

It is not our "negative minds"....it rather is the mindset of the corrupt environment of your business.
You will be required to employ tour guides (Dominicans most likely), get several permissions (MdT, MdG, Ayuntamiento, etc.) and be cash-friendly to people who will tell you that you need to be friends with them... :classic:
Given all those overheads and other expenses (maybe a stolen engine or jetski) the question arises how much longer you'll be able to keep your 'hobby'.

Entrepreneurs are a different breed. What you may see as unfair, impossible, or a waste of time we see as challenging and fun.

I forget... That's why I say, go for it.
The fun you'll have is priceless, anyway. :bunny:

donP

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Entrepreneurs are the best !!, I love their enthusiasm !!, the world needs more of them !!.
It just seems that the DR is a bit different, everything is a bit tweeked.

When you think of it, a business anywhere in the world is trying, it's basically juggling balls (No ?.)
It just seems that here, in the DR, that more balls are constantly thrown into the loop (daily!) and these x-tra/additional balls are never, ever, ever the same size, shape or weight when they enter the loop.

Just saying...

In any event, it's a wonderful country with amazing people and must be the greatest place on earth to vacation !