The Ruta between Puerto Plata and Navarette is a ''National Disgrace'' !

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Thousands of potholes, no center or side lines, no truck lanes, lack of danger signs. etc.:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin I seems to me that with thousands of men unemployed and cheap materials, these deplorable conditions could be corrected !!!!!!!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nope. You will have to wait until the next elections when they will put a thin veneer of asphalt in the surface just before it is time to vote.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I just got myself this 40 inch LED light-bar with 64 flood bulbs and 16 spot bulbs, 15,000 lumens, for my SUV, to light up these dark roads:

qsnk42.jpg

I think they are made for off road night racing or hunting, they should do the job

The dark roads without white lines or reflectors make this necessary

I will post pics when I get it installed

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Thousands of potholes, no center or side lines, no truck lanes, lack of danger signs. etc.:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin I seems to me that with thousands of men unemployed and cheap materials, these deplorable conditions could be corrected !!!!!!!!!

The road will be made new with four lanes, two each way as a carbon copy of the RD1 highway.

That's on the next phase of large constructions for the 2012-2016 public works program...

It has to wait for the administration to take over and have all in place, so that new contracts can be signed and budgeted.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The road will be made new with four lanes, two each way as a carbon copy of the RD1 highway.

That's on the next phase of large constructions for the 2012-2016 public works program...

It has to wait for the administration to take over and have all in place, so that new contracts can be signed and budgeted.

Wonderful news indeed. Then there is no reason to make any repairs at all until that happens.

After all, one must wait until the proper "contracts" are signed. 2016 is not too long to wait, is it?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi Papa B, just being realistic. Been here long enough to know how the system works. The four lane road from Puerto Plata to Santiago has been discussed for a long time. Almost as long as 24/7 electricity for everyone.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pichardo, i will believe it when i see it. leonel has promised that years ago, when he was up against miguel. nada so far.
but ain't nothing wrong in hoping, right? :tired:

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
I am please to report that most potholes have been repaired from Navarette to 12 kilometers East of the tunnel. Sadly, from there, to Puerto Plata, the Ruta continues disgraceful.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am please to report that most potholes have been repaired from Navarette to 12 kilometers East of the tunnel. Sadly, from there, to Puerto Plata, the Ruta continues disgraceful.

And it isn't being worked on to convert it to 4 lanes yet.. No worries, I don't expect it will be any time soon. Maybe Pichardo is off working on that plan.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Conchman, you rock. You will be the new king of the night. Burn some eyeballs for me- especially the trucks and buses that refuse to dim or the wise guys that dim then flash their brights at the last second. Looking forward to see the pics of it mounted.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
ah, the return of Picards and unbrideled optiminism. I will just hold my breath for the repairs and wide new road. Windy got it right with a thin veneer of asphalt that will wash off in the first heavy mountain rain.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
And it isn't being worked on to convert it to 4 lanes yet.. No worries, I don't expect it will be any time soon. Maybe Pichardo is off working on that plan.

Well, i dont know about 4 lanes, but 4 abreast is quite possible in some places!

I hate this road and normally always take the Turistica to Santiago. Couldnt avoid it yesterday to Mao sadly :(

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
They cannot convert it to 4 lanes, as they need the space for the high speed train...

BelgianK

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I heard the contract has been signed for the 4 lane road, with the same company that did the Samana/Sto Dgo road. Let's hope they start soon. I did see surveyors out there about a week ago, but not sure if it was for that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I heard the contract has been signed for the 4 lane road, with the same company that did the Samana/Sto Dgo road. Let's hope they start soon. I did see surveyors out there about a week ago, but not sure if it was for that.
That was done in December 2011, but the government is still in the process of expropiating the roughly 2000 people that live/work along the road. The 4-lane highway will follow much of the current route, with a few deviations (the road will shift further to the west in the area where the tunnel is and also further to the west of Imbert, there are other places). This was done to reduce the amount of people that will be displaced by the expansion.

The company that will build this road is the same one that is about to open the toll on the Duarte Highway, near Burende. Its called DEMACON or something like that.

They will also finish the Santiago bypass road, since it was included in the financing package from the BID. The new Navarrete-Puerto Plata road will also have tolls, but it will be a 45 minutes trip.