Playero Sosua...bad experience

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
Today me, my fiancee and her 5 y.o. son went to playero to buy some stuff.
Everything was fine until we went to the cash desk to pay.
Suddenly a man of the stuff gave a ticket with a barcode to the woman, she scans it, and something appeared on the monitor.
So I asked, what is it? What are you charging me for?
And from behind the same guy tells me that the kid dropped a little bottle of oregano and broke it, and because the company does not accept devoluciones i had to pay it. 80 peso. I began to argue, especially because no one told us anything until we went to pay. They kept saying this was their policy, i asked to talk with the security to get things explained but nothing. I could have done a mess but in the end i chose the easy way, payed the 80 pesos and went home...
where i went even more mad when i realized that in the bags was missing the big bygon for the mosquitos of 300 pico pesos that was the only thing we really needed! And guess..yes we payed it because it's in the receipt. Probably when we were busy talking with the man of the stuff the guy that helps put groceries in the bags "forgot it". What a strange coincidence!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I also avoid this supermarket at ALL costs, take the 15min drive to Puerto Plata La Sirena if at all possible. This company is overppriced and also rips off local produce vendors with funny tactics. There is rumor of a Sirena in the works in Sosua and this has all of us ecstatic.

Aug 21, 2007
Sorry about your experience. I am sure it upset your night. However, I believe this is unusual for Playero. A couple of years ago, this type of story was common, but the owner, recently, has made a sincere effort to respect his customers and give them the best service possible.

So, when the child broke the bottle of oregano, did you not apologize and offer to pay for it? Wouldn't that be the right thing to do?

I would tend to believe that because of the confusion at the register, things also got mixed up with the bag boy. Did you go back to retrieve the items?

Several people on dr1 speak critically of Playero. However, I am not one of them. I believe Playero is one North Coast business that truly tries to continue to improve and provide what their customers want.

When I first moved here, I traveled over the mountain to Santiago every 3 weeks to purchase what was not available in Sosua. Then, when La Sirena opened, I found myself traveling to Puerto Plata to purchase those items. Now, Playero stocks all that I need. Prices may be a bit more, but I am saving much more than the higher prices in gas.

I hope you got your bad experience off your chest and you are able to give Playero a second chance in the future.

Lindsey

travelbear

May 8, 2012
I have been to Playero on a few occassions and never nioted any problems. When in Sosua such as I will be for two weeks nearthe end of August it will still be a place I will go to. It is good to see that someone can posts something positive like the above post

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Same thing happened to me once on the spice rack at Playeros but I pulled one bottle out and the the fell out of the slot the security guy was there and saw it and I asked him if he could get me a broom to clean it up and he said do not worry about it. When I got to check out he bought he broken bottle up and was wanted me to pay I told him in spanish you saw what happened it was not my fault I am not paying for it.One of the managers came over saw it was me he knows I spend money there and said dont worry about it.I also dislike how the security follows me around and just looks at people hard, I know the security is needed but it gets a little old security following me around when I got a shopping basket full of product I mean do you think a person spending 5000 or more peso would steal something ?? Anyway I have since been doing most of my shopping a Janets prices are cheaper the staff are more friendly and helpful.Just my opinion I am not talking bad about Playeros I think they are good as well i just get tired of being looked at like a criminal when I shop there !

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The problem with Playero is that it is Dominican owned and Dominican run. Enough said..............

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
of course i would have offer to pay if i saw what happened or at least talked with the security guy. He had to find us, we were not far from the kid for sure and tell us what happened. And not wait until we were already paying, with people behind us getting rid of waiting in the line...everyone knows that in these moments you just want to let them go and pay.
And i did not go back to playero because i am sure they would have thought i did on purpose telling that someone stole my baygon..can you imagine?

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
its just a shop, I have been using them for about six years and never had any problems there...I find them friendly and helpful. prices ok. other than not being able to find the refried beans when they expanded recently......

I dont really like to read all the bashing. at least not by non-locals.:tired:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
if you feel mistreated, go back to the shop and address it with the boss ......this isnt the place to fix anything.

any decent business will be happy to speak with you and address the issue.

Your last sentence says it all.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Your last sentence says it all.

I'm local and the store is crap, anyone who knows anything avoids playero at all costs. Inferior products at exaggerated prices, meanwhile I found expired products all the time. If you talk to a manager they give you the "Yea we'll do everything about "X" problem" while they do nothing.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I'm local and the store is crap, anyone who knows anything avoids playero at all costs. Inferior products at exaggerated prices, meanwhile I found expired products all the time. If you talk to a manager they give you the "Yea we'll do everything about "X" problem" while they do nothing.

I was being sarcastic, as I agree with you and I am a local also. There is no one to speak to that will do anything other than tell you some BS. As I said in another post. Dominican owned and run. In other words, don't expect any Customer Service of any kind.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
well I can only assume you have an agenda here, so I will bow out........ the store is ok imo and improving. All I will say is that if you take this attitude to the manager than I am not surprised that you get no resolution.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
well I can only assume you have an agenda here, so I will bow out........ the store is ok imo and improving. All I will say is that if you take this attitude to the manager than I am not surprised that you get no resolution.

Enough people, including myself, have had issues and seen the higher prices charged there that we avoid going unless we really need something urgently. I am sure we all hope this will change in the new improved version of Playero. I assure you I have no agenda and would much prefer shopping there than going to Puerto Plata.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
If you don't complain things will never improve, an idealogy I will always practice. Playero is trying to step up their game in the last 3 weeks or so because I bet there is concrete evidence of La Sirena coming to town. For the time being I would shop at the Coastal gas station before going into Playero again. Buy your meat from Todos Carne and processed stuff from the gas station, produce on the street as much as possible since it's exactly the same stuff that's in every supermarket with less hands dipped into the profit jar.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The problem with Playero is that it is Dominican owned and Dominican run. Enough said..............

Bull shyte.

I know the owner and she does everything to honor the clients request AND as a matter of fact I brought her some yellow lemons and she was so apprecative that I know her intensions are sincere.

When I came back and gave her the True lemon , which can be bought online she was so humble I could not believe it.

Playero in Sosua is fine by me and I have lived here 6 years.

The beef sucks so do what I do and find it elsewhere!