Jobs?

osirus

Aug 4, 2012
How difficult is it to get a job as a general nurse in Santo Domingo or somewhere close to Santo Domingo?
My fiance is a general nurse, but lost her job when the clinic she worked in closed, now we're looking for employment anywhere there's an opening. As for me I'm of no help because I'm currently deployed in Afghan. If someone know of a medical institution that's hiring can you please post in in the forum or shoot me a pm? Thanks in advance.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
First thing, is your fiance Dominican? you don't say - but in general Nurses in the DR make a very, very, very low salary and are not on par professionally with nurses from the US. If she is American she would also have to get a work permit visa.

osirus

Aug 4, 2012
She's Dominican. I guess the best thing for her is to bring her to the U.S. I didn't know the salaries were that low. I wonder why is that? Every other country I been to nurses make descent wages.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to ask some brutal questions:
1) How do you know she is a nurse?
2) What was the name of the clinic that closed down?
3) Have you sent her some money to " see her through this tough period?"
4) Do you know that a huge percentage of " nurses" are also working girls????

5) Have you ever considered the possibility of hooking up with you was for just that purpose? (Getting to the States)
6) Do you realize that in the states, she would be unemployed beyond cleaning houses or in the best of cases, caring for the elderly (which can be lucrative, indeed!) However, she would be a load on you...

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
6) Do you realize that in the states, she would be unemployed beyond cleaning houses or in the best of cases, caring for the elderly (which can be lucrative, indeed!) However, she would be a load on you...

HB

HB, my mom had Parkinson's and lived with us for years after my Dad died. We had several 'health care aides' in our home over those years from a local agency, and I was continually surprised at how many of them were Dominican women. Same thing with the aides in nursing homes. Even weirder was all of them seemed to be from the Cibao.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
AE: That is all they can do!!! And truth be said, most of them are very good at it!!! Must be in the culture and blood!!

HB

osirus

Aug 4, 2012
1) I've known her for 4 years. She went to Centro Nacional De Enfermia for school and graduated 3 years ago.
2)Centro Medico DR Betances
3)Not much money. Enough for the basics like food and hygiene items. I know women ask for money to feed their children, but she has no kids.
4)I know a huge percentage of girls in general are working girls here usually to feed a baby back home. But I do not think she's 1. She didn't have a reason. Before me she said she was with a business man from Ecuador for 3 years, but left him because he was abusive. I would assume that he took care of her enough(financially) that she wouldn't have to turn to the streets. And she has land her deceased mom left her. At 1 point she wanted to sell it, but I told her to never sell an asset like land.
5)She wasn't the 1 that asked to go to the states, that was my idea. My romance period with the d.r. has worn off. She still do not want to go because she think I might leave her and she be stranded in a foreign country.
6)I'm a little old school. I do not mind having a house wife. I prefer a mom to stay at home with the kids and take care of home. Since she has a strong urge to work, I think I will find her a job easier in the states then I would in Santo Domingo.

I'm just brainstorming now. Getting her to the states will take a couple of years anyway. By that time I will definitely know if she's the right one.

I am going to ask some brutal questions:
1) How do you know she is a nurse?
2) What was the name of the clinic that closed down?
3) Have you sent her some money to " see her through this tough period?"
4) Do you know that a huge percentage of " nurses" are also working girls????

5) Have you ever considered the possibility of hooking up with you was for just that purpose? (Getting to the States)

HB

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
For your girlfriend to work as a "nurse" in the US she will have to prove that her school is accredited in the US, or eligible for accreditation (meaning that the courses she took are on par with a nurses education in the US) ; she will have to take a test to prove english proficiency and finally we will have to take the NCLEX exam (the basic entrance exam for all Registered Nurses in the US)....if she passes all of this then she can apply for licensure from one of the states. I'm not sure if her education would be on par with a Registered Nurse or a Licensed Practical Nurse.....there is a definite trend in the US for all Registered Nurses to have a Bachelors Degree in the near future and most hospitals will not hire LPN's anymore so HB was right that she will only find work in possibly nursing homes or as a private duty health aide.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you for that very open series of answers. It seems you may have hooked up with a pretty good woman. The fact that there are no children involved is a major plus.

I would say, go for it! What the heck. Little to lose and what you could do would be to put boots on the ground here, check out that land, make sure there is clear title (really clear title) and seal it off with a fence or whatever it takes. Then go to the states.
You need to secure that land, no loose ends.

And remember education for nurses is wide open...An RN in about two years.

Good luck and thanks,

HB