Why a US-born Latin American chose to represent the Dominican Rep.: Felix Sanchez

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
In the Felix Sanchez wins gold thread the topic of how he ended up representing the DR arose. Around the web, there are reports that he actually wanted to represnt the US initially, couldn't make the team, and then chose to represent the DR instead.

However, that belief is wrong!

Felix wanted to represent the DR all along, according to quotes attributed to him in an extensive report published by a reputable magazine a few years ago (see link below). The article includes:
"Lograr una medalla de oro para los Estados Unidos, no te hace nada especial, s?lo te dicen que hiciste el trabajo esperado". Se?al? que al hacerlo para la Rep?blica Dominicana, se gana el cari?o de toda una naci?n, el cual se ampl?a para todos los pa?ses de habla latina, de los cuales autom?ticamente, se convirti? en su representante. "Para mi eso es m?s importante que el dinero", asegur? S?nchez.

For those who cannot read Spanish, an approx translation is:

"To win a medal for the US doesn't make you anything special, they simply tell you that you have done the expected job" (says FS). He indicated that if one does it for the DR, one gets the affection of an entire nation, which extends to all Latin American countries, of which one becomes a representative. "For me that is more important than money", asserted Sanchez.

(see also the --unexplicably and unfortunately closed -- thread about the Latin American Nation for additional perspective).

It is quite clear he wanted to represennt the DR from the get go.

The article further adds that he had great difficulties getting in touch with the proper DR authorities (which he started back in the mid 90's when he was only a teenager). He eventually got in touch with Manny Mota, a former player and then (and I think still) coach for the LA Dodgers (FS went to college in LA), through whom he eventually made the right contacts.

FS also indicates that ca. 1999, when it was already known that he had chosen to represnt the DR and his performance started to indicate great athletic potential, many in the US started questioning his decision to represent the DR, but that he never wavered.

I hope this settles this issue, and most importantly points other foreign-born Dominicans (or foreign-born Latin American) in the right direction.

Felix Sanchez: to be Dominican has its advantages (in Spanish)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
He was just trying to increase his "Marketabilty" in the DR.
What do you expect him tto say?
He is truely a national hero here,and rightly so,but,he was born,educated,and trained in the USA.
Most Caribean athalets are educated,university level, in the USA.
This is to take advantage of a free education,international level coaching,and great training facilities.
They are smart,not traitors, to do so.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
He was just trying to increase his "Marketabilty" in the DR.
What do you expect him tto say?
He is truely a national hero here,and rightly so,but,he was born,educated,and trained in the USA.
Most Caribean athalets are educated,university level, in the USA.
This is to take advantage of a free education,int
Sorry, but I have no idea what your point is...that he made the whole thing up?...that he lied when he said he was trying to contact the DR athletic authorities since he was 18?...what is your point?

As far as I am concerned, he meant every word he said...I have no reason to believe otherwise, and won't make speculations based on nothing.

As far as I am concerned he made the choice EVERYONE in his position should make...citizenships come and go... nationality (blood/culture) stays with you for ever, wherever you (or your parents) go...and that is what really matters.

In many countries everybody gets the citizenship of the parents...period...whether you like it or not...they don't care where anybody is born...and frankly, why should anybody care?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't see why this topic should matter. There are plenty of athletes winning medals for countries they were not even born in. The US is a perfect example of this, having received recognition in various fields, in sports and other areas, by people that were not born or raised there. Also, Puerto Rico won a medal in the Olympics by a Dominican-born athlete and the DR also has a Bulgarian girl that lives in Sos?a, who represents the country in Karate or Tae Kwon Do, or one of those martial arts, in competitions worldwide and has even won medals. During the Panamerican Games in Mayag?ez, there was a Swiss or Swede boy that represented the DR in swimming.

Its really not a big deal.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
In the Felix Sanchez wins gold thread the topic of how he ended up representing the DR arose. Around the web, there are reports that he actually wanted to represnt the US initially, couldn't make the team, and then chose to represent the DR instead.

However, that belief is wrong!

Felix wanted to represent the DR all along, according to quotes attributed to him in an extensive report published by a reputable magazine a few years ago (see link below). The article includes:

For those who cannot read Spanish, an approx translation is:

"To win a medal for the US doesn't make you anything special, they simply tell you that you have done the expected job" (says FS). He indicated that if one does it for the DR, one gets the affection of an entire nation, which extends to all Latin American countries, of which one becomes a representative. "For me that is more important than money", asserted Sanchez.

(see also the --unexplicably and unfortunately closed -- thread about the Latin American Nation for additional perspective).

It is quite clear he wanted to represennt the DR from the get go.

The article further adds that he had great difficulties getting in touch with the proper DR authorities (which he started back in the mid 90's when he was only a teenager). He eventually got in touch with Manny Mota, a former player and then (and I think still) coach for the LA Dodgers (FS went to college in LA), through whom he eventually made the right contacts.

FS also indicates that ca. 1999, when it was already known that he had chosen to represnt the DR and his performance started to indicate great athletic potential, many in the US started questioning his decision to represent the DR, but that he never wavered.

I hope this settles this issue, and most importantly points other foreign-born Dominicans (or foreign-born Latin American) in the right direction.

Felix Sanchez: to be Dominican has its advantages (in Spanish)

Don't let them get to you. It instead makes us even more proud that these athletes which don't gain much by representing our country, rather represent us and are proud of it just like we are proud of them.

Let them say that, they are born abroad, or train abroad. Every time someone does something positive for our country and we try to have a taste of celebration, there is always a hater that surfaces with negativity just to try rain on our parade.

But if they want to put it like that, many of the medalists representing the USA were NOT US BORN. And even many of the coaches and trainers were either from Russia, Romania, China, Japan, France and others. But you don't see Dominicans worrying about that.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
I tried to read everyone's replies and I hope I got your intentions correctly. I would add just a few words to what has already been said. I don't want to make it seem as if I don't have a bias in this situation because I do. I am Dominican and I am very proud of all our reps to the Olympic games in London. Now Mr. Sanchez choose to run for the Dominican Republic. Maybe some feel that he should have run or represented the United States. I understand both sides to this argument as I was also born in the United States, and most of my life I have lived in the United States as well. I am proud to be a citizen here in the United States but I also want to let everyone know that there is no place like the place you call home.
Sure I root for the United States in all events, when they aren't opposed to a Dominican. Yes I am very proud of our Olympic team from here. But I don't find anything wrong with being an source for pride to people everywhere. To me the best of both worlds is that U.S. can claim to have trained him, and they did. Then, D.R. can claim to have been his home or motherland, which she is also. Both of us can be proud and regardless of where you are from you can enjoy the spirit of the Olympics. Is he the only person in the United States Representing some other country? no! Maria Sharapova is a United States Citizen now, and lives in florida. Yet she played for Russia and carried there torch. There are others also, that I can't really recall right now but just celebrate the achievement and don't get lost in all outside stories or articles.

wierdscott

Jan 28, 2012
Good for him winning, but I can't comprehend why he would settle for a second rate country when he could have ran for the US- where he was born and lives. He is not a real Dominican. Could you imagine since David beckham didn't make The English national team, that he decided that since he lives in LA, has been training in the US, and plays for the LA Galaxy, he is now going to play soccer for the US? Ya, that would go over well!

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Good for him winning, but I can't comprehend why he would settle for a second rate country when he could have ran for the US- where he was born and lives. He is not a real Dominican. Could you imagine since David beckham didn't make The English national team, that he decided that since he lives in LA, has been training in the US, and plays for the LA Galaxy, he is now going to play soccer for the US?

What I don't understand if why ABJECT OVERT FLAME-BAITING like that above is tolerated.

I suppose someone will soon come and close the thread because "the thread has gone bad"...It is not the thread's fault that there are individuals with nothing better to do with their time than flame-baiting and spewing venom!

Threads are not the problem...flame-baiters like this ARE.

YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN BANISHED for your other post where you called him what you know you did...and look what you are doing again.

For the record, people who know how to read already know that he started trying to contact the DR sports authorities when he was only 18...at that age he still had plenty of time to try to make the US team if he HAD WANTED TO...He DID NOT WANT to...he also explained why he felt that way...very clearly.

wierdscott

Jan 28, 2012
There is no venom, but what I can assure you is this guy traveled to London on a US passport. You just can't have it both ways. Are you a Dominican or an American??? And do you not see how ridiculous this is based on the Beckham analogy? I guess the raw truth is there isn't much to cheer about in the Dr sometimes, so even if a Dom York wins a medal, why not make the most of it??

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I personally have a lot of respect for Felix. I'll always remember 8 years ago when he participated in the games and won gold the first time, the WHOLE country was paralized watching him run on tv. I was working in a bank at that point and both tellers and customers stopped what they were doing to cheer him on. When in the history of the DR have you seen anything similar? By representing the DR, he's doing his DOMINICAN parents' heritage honor and at the same time inspiring generations of young dominicans into training and going for their dreams. I say kudos to Felix and may he continue to wear the bandera dominicana proudly for a long time to come.

Dec 26, 2011
nationality (blood/culture) stays with you for ever

Nationalism- American, Dominican, Haitian, Luxembourgian, etc., is just another way we divide ourselves. We're humans first. I applaud anyone's persistence and effort when applied to the achievement of a noble goal. To exalt an entire group of people because of an individual's performance is absurd.

Mar 1, 2009
Listen weirdo if Felix wants to be considered Dominican he has the God given right to do so. So stop drinking the hatarade. Plus the USA recognizes dual citizenship.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is no venom, but what I can assure you is this guy traveled to London on a US passport. You just can't have it both ways. Are you a Dominican or an American??? And do you not see how ridiculous this is based on the Beckham analogy? I guess the raw truth is there isn't much to cheer about in the Dr sometimes, so even if a Dom York wins a medal, why not make the most of it??
This isn’t hard to figure out.

Section 1 of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States says:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

Article 18 of the Constitution of the Dominican Republic says:

Son dominicanas y dominicanos: 1) Los hijos e hijas de madre o padre dominicanos; 4) Los nacidos en el extranjero, de padre o madre dominicanos, no obstante haber adquirido, por el lugar de nacimiento, una nacionalidad distinta a la de sus padres.
Dominicans are: 1) The sons and daughters of a Dominican mother or father; 4) Foreign born, of a Dominican father or mother, despite of acquiring, due to their place of birth, a nationality that is distinct from that of their parents.

The only way a foreign born Dominican loses his Dominican nationality, is by expressively declining it upon his 18th birthday or at anytime afterwards. If that is not done, he is assumed to have Dominican nationality and can, at any moment, apply for his Dominican c?dula and passport with not much of a hassle.

Article 20 of the Constitution of the Dominican Republic says:

Doble nacionalidad. Se reconoce a dominicanas y dominicanos la facultad de adquirir una nacionalidad extranjera. La adquisici?n de otra nacionalidad no implica la p?rdida de la dominicana.
Dual Nationality. Dominicans have the right to acquire a foreign nationality. The acquisition of another nationality does not implies the loss of Dominican nationality.

The United States and the Dominican Republic both recognize dual nationality. As such, F?lix S?nchez is a Dominican-American that chose to represent the Dominican Republic and was allowed to do so despite not living in the DR, precisely because he is Dominican.

This should be the end of this story since no amount of debating on an internet forum will change this.

He can even run for the Vicepresidency or even the Presidency of the Dominican Republic or the USA, if he chooses and that right is protected by the constitutions of both countries.

Contrary to your belief, he can have it both ways. LOL

:)

Last edited:

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Nationalism- American, Dominican, Haitian, Luxembourgian, etc., is just another way we divide ourselves. We're humans first. I applaud anyone's persistence and effort when applied to the achievement of a noble goal. To exalt an entire group of people because of an individual's performance is absurd.
Have no idea what you are getting to...the phrase you quoted "nationality (blood/culture) stays with you for ever" simply means that wherever you go, and whichever passport(s) you carry, your nationality stays the same...stays with you for ever and ever...unlike citizenships which come and go easily these days...

Anyhow, the vast majority of reasonable people would agree that a son of Dominican parents raised by Dominicans (especially in a Dominican neighbourhood) is 100% Dominican, even if his mom was outside the DR when she gave birth to him (and the neighbourhood outside the DR)...and he carries a non-Dominican passport...And in many countries, he would be _officially_ Dominican even if he wanted NOT to be.

...of course in the previous paragraph you can replace Dominican throughout with Puerto Rican, Cuban, Mexican, Filipino, Korean, etc., etc.... same principle applies obviously.

Dec 26, 2011
Listen weirdo if Felix wants to be considered Dominican he has the God given right to do so. So stop drinking the hatarade. Plus the USA recognizes dual citizenship.

No god-talk allowed on DR1. Thanks for the "weirdo". Way to discuss the idea presented without attacking its source.

Dec 26, 2011
Have no idea what you are getting to...the phrase you quoted "nationality (blood/culture) stays with you for ever" simply means that wherever you go, and whichever passport(s) you carry, your nationality stays the same...stays with you for ever and ever...unlike citizenships which como and go easily these days...

Certainly you understand that one's place of birth is different than one's blood is different from one's culture. We're people first. I'm white, born in the US, and have no blood relatives that speak Spanish other than my son but I can make you a nice mangu and would love to give you a thrashing in a game of dominoes. The Dominicans I know and meet tell me that I'm Dominican. Tell me, what's blood have to with anything?