if you had a luggage allowance of 200 pounds ...

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
Headed down in a few weeks to set up my vacation home; I am wondering what would be the best use of my 200 pounds I am allowed to bring. Suggestions?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my books alone would take all that. and this is what i would bring.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In addition to the above two posts, I would include good sheets and towels, my spices and kitchen utensils.

And make arrangements to ship a couple of boxes down here....from any city with a Dominican population. Door to door.

HB

Quality books, quality books and yes quality books. Believe it or not there is very boring days down here also. I have a huge stockpile of History, War and similar educational books. I am so happy i have them.

Ahh, almost forgot the most important thing: DO NOT borrow your beloved books to anyone down here, they will sooner or later slowly dissapear. Why? Because we have been in the tropical warm sun to long and forget who we borrow stuff to.

Last time i was coming back home i had some very heavy suitcases, loaded with books and similar items. I pretended to be a Fanatical Christian with only religous materials, i didnt had to pay anything for the extremly heavy luggage.

hehe. Thanks God. :cheeky:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And where is the Rattus Library located? The HB Library is in Santiago....

Exchanges between libraries are possible.

" Old Dominican story:

Old guy is on his death bed. Calls in his son. " Son, I am leaving you my library. As you know, it is the best in all the Cibao! You must make me a promise however, are you in agreement?"
" Yes Father, I will do what you say."

" Son, you must never, ever loan out any of these books, do you understand?"

"Yes Father, but why not?"

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Are you ready?
>
>
>
>
>
>

"BECAUSE, MY SON, THEY ARE ALL BORROWED!!!!!"

Good to know and worth a giggle, but I loan out books all the time...La Teacher is the main borrower....

HB

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I LOVE books, but in this day and age, I have one word for you: KINDLE. Save your valuable allowance for other things. I like the kitchen stuff... the power tools... good linens... my next "mule project" will likely be a memory foam topper for my mattress. Depends on how much it weighs. Actually the weight adds up pretty fast. We only get a 50 lb. allowance per bag, and are charged for each bag. I'm very selective.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Towels, sheets, kitchen stuff, and while I have a Kobo Ereader ( it allows me to "borrow" library books from Canada), still like the reading and holding of a good book.
I could use up 200 lbs pretty quick, and did as HB suggested, shipped a box, last winter from Florida. Best thing ever, and better prices than overweight luggage!!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Ice Paks and kryopaks un frozen, i made a small cash fortune with these last trip, each sold for $5 bucks a piece... thats what to bring...

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
I also brought a really good flashlight and some rechargeable batteries
came in handy ,walking the dog without streetpower
Manu

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
if you still have room
bring some good locks,they have locks here
but good ones are pricey
I brought some heavyduty solid round ones ,with almost no room to use a hexsaw to cut
Manu

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
if you still have room
bring some good locks,they have locks here
but good ones are pricey
I brought some heavyduty solid round ones ,with almost no room to use a hexsaw to cut
Manu

A good bagel is also hard to find on The North Coast, if you are bringing Lox!:cheeky:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Last time I went back to the US I brought back a couple of light cotton blankets and a couple of decent pots and pans. I also stocked up on batteries and brought some books back with me. Ask yourself what are some items you can't live without be it candy, lotions, soaps, etc...Sheets and towels are also a good idea. They have these really good room fresheners, plug-ins you would call them from Bath & Body Works that I bring down also.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
maybe overkill?
a first aid kit and add some neosporin and antibacterials , vitamins and advil
I did ,simply because my spanish sucks
Manu

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I would certainly go for the more exotic spices you use for cooking, as they are very hard to find here.

Good knives is a good idea, but also bring a good knife sharpener

First aid kit... I always supplement that one every time I go back to Belgium with stuff like cream against burns, steri-strips (those little bandages to close small, or bigger cuts, with the hooks on them), etc... I know you can get it here, but frequently it is expired, or not sterile.

Sheets for sure, but also consider some good pillows.

And for sure... load the rest of your luggage with some good, tender steaks. Sell them to the desperate expats here, and make a fortune.

BelgianK