anyone interested in cockfighting?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Hey, I live in cabarete and I'm willing to take someone no charge to a "gallera" (cockfighting ring) tomorrow to gaspar hernandez to experience som real dominican culture, lmk

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
No thanks,

10d74m9.gif

:smoke: I can't handle all the women fighting over me as it is. :smoke:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are in Cabarete go to Jamao today at 4PM. Every Sunday they have cock fights there at a nice ring. I doubt you will find any cock fights anywhere unless it is on Sundays.

:classic: Yes i like Cockfighting alot. My wifes family have some good fighters, i do not like any other "sport" in the world only cockfighting. I really like this part of the Dominican culture, I cant get enough of it.

But no thanks to your kind offer, maybe some other time.

I hope you win some big money in Gaspar Hernandez sayanora

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
SKY?? I know you meant well, but there are cockfights all over on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Anyday, (get the idea?)....
It is a universal event, 100% male, testosterone soaked series of fights between well matched pairs of birds that have been raised for this moment.

Perhaps the most Dominican of Dominican cultural events...besides a town's patron saint days...

HB

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I?ve never been to a cockfight but I would like to at least once. does it get very hot at the rink and is there much unpleasant smell? Where are they held in Las Terrenas?

dom

Jun 1, 2011
in puerto plata i see more and more as sholes, with pitbulls that just from the way they look seem to be used for that purpose, maybe you want to join them, as you seem to be another as shole, just for showing interest in it.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You can see cock fights on any dirt track or street corner around areas of Jarabacoa any day of the week, same in Santo Dom East.

In santo Domingo east you often see dog fights being held in the street, as often as cock fights are. Not usually pit bulls, but pit bull cross, big strong dogs but it is heart breaking to see the state of them after they've been at it for an hour or two. It is pretty normal for the not quite dead dog to be pulverised with sticks by the crowd when it loses the will and end ends up just lying there allowing the other dog to chew on it, rip it about, exhausted in shock.

Anywhere else in the world I would try to talk to these people, but you just know it is pointless, these people really don't think animals have rights to be on our planet, they are purely here for our entertainment, abuse and do as we feel fit, which we do obviously.

I have to admit I really couldn't give a toss about cock fighting, in general they are tret well, better than most people, but i do think think anyone who really obsesses about it and religiously goes to see it needs to find a decent hobby. For all the excitement and raising that goes on, they are all pretty much the same. Two cocks, one dies, no real skill, they just do what is natural.
But yeh, you can see them anywhere, any time.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
in puerto plata i see more and more as sholes, with pitbulls that just from the way they look seem to be used for that purpose, maybe you want to join them, as you seem to be another as shole, just for showing interest in it.
What do you mean, way they look? They are pit bulls, bred for fighting, that's what they do.it bulls don't make great pets in my opinion, they are too dull in the head.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It is very sad, in this day and age, we need to get our entertainment by forcing animals to fight each other. Part of the culture....please, plain old cruelty.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012

If showing an interest in whether or not a law that prevents dog fighting exists makes me an a hole, I will take it as a compliment.

Ive had two rescue Pit Bulls as pets. They were wonderful gentle animals. Its a shame that people think that is sport.

Last edited:

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
If showing an interest in whether or not a law that prevents dog fighting exists makes me an a hole, I will take it as a compliment.

Ive had two rescue Pit Bulls as pets. They were wonderful gentle animals. Its a shame that people think that is sport.

I have never seen a dogfight in the DR and if I did I would definitely do something about it. BTW, regarding the event last weekend, took 2 nice folks from Germany that were staying at the Wyndam resort and they loved the cockfight. They have never seen anything like it and everyone at the gallera treated them like they were local. The guy I took even won about 4000 pesos and only betted on 4 out of 10 fights.. Beginners LUCK!