Rendered Duck Fat...

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Try Carrefour, the big French chain supermarket out on the Duarte (Km 10-1/2). I have never seen it at Nacional or Bravo.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Try Carrefour, the big French chain supermarket out on the Duarte (Km 10-1/2). I have never seen it at Nacional or Bravo.

They have it at Carrefour, but only small quantities.

Belgian French fries are made in fractioned animalfat. Why don't you look at Carrefour for a brand named "OSSEWIT'. They should have it, and this is what is widely used by a lot of the French Fries places in Belgium.

Good luck, and bon appetit

BelgianK

May 29, 2006
Fries cooked in duck fat is one of the wonders of the cooking world. Antony Bourdain raves about them. I've been tempted to buy a pound or two of duck fat online, and it's not cheap.

Ducks are naturally fatty compared to chickens...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
some breeds of ducks are, but the ones you can get here, have almost no fat at all. The taste is still good though.

BelgianK

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Clearly you've never had french fries in duck fat!

I think so too!

You might try goose fat as well.

Personally, I would go for potatoes "saut?" rather than french fries. You can add some "perejil", or garlic.

Typical southwestern french meal with sausages ("Toulouse""), simple and delicious (if you can find quality sausages, but that's not easy). Thinking local, with longanizas, might be good also.

Barnab?