And another great thing about the DR!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's so cheap to get anything fixed here:

3 pairs of shoes sewing and gluing RD250
Mitsubishi SUV - replace alternator, power steering pump, timing belt and 4 pulleys RD16,000
Mitsubishi SUV - alignment RD300
Mitsubishi SUV - reupholster interior RD6000
Mitsubishi SUV - repair propane gas system RD200
Change buttons on two xbox controllers (US50 new) RD400
Fix computer RD500 (wouldn't cut on because of loose connection I think)
Custom weight training rack RD1500
Replace rusted iron bars on house doors and gate RD3500
Change oil, diagnose and tune up motorcycle RD500

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Gravity Fed

I totally agree.
Just had my petrol pump problem repaired for 100 RD$. :bunny:

benzininfusion.jpg

donP

sonrisa

Dec 23, 2008

3 pairs of shoes sewing and gluing RD250
Mitsubishi SUV - replace alternator, power steering pump, timing belt and 4 pulleys RD16,000
Mitsubishi SUV - alignment RD300
Mitsubishi SUV - reupholster interior RD6000
Mitsubishi SUV - repair propane gas system RD200
Change buttons on two xbox controllers (US50 new) RD400
Fix computer RD500 (wouldn't cut on because of loose connection I think)
Custom weight training rack RD1500
Replace rusted iron bars on house doors and gate RD3500
Change oil, diagnose and tune up motorcycle RD500

As a four-times-a-year visitor (eight weeks total so discount or give credit accordingly), the problems I face is knowing where to find a fair provider of service and having confidence that it is a fair price. DR1 certainly helps as well as recommendations from others. When I've found fair (not just cheap) vendors/providers I tend to be very loyal. Such loyalty, I believe, encourages such service providers to see the importance of honest, fair pricing and not just "Gouge the Gringo" pricing.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
It takes a while.

... where to find a fair provider of service and having confidence that it is a fair price. DR1 certainly helps as well as recommendations from others.

Honest recommendations* can help a lot and can save you an expensive trial-and-error procedure.
It took me a while to find an excellent repairman for my inverters, my pool plumbing, painting our roofs, etc.
Well, the brakes of my car I do.

donP

*)
The other type is more like 'my primo knows how to fix that...'

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sofa reupholstered RD6000
Montero - replace tie rod ends, anti sway bar bushings and steering arm RD6300

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
good thing about living in london was that i only needed to charge my oyster card. no cars, parts, oil changes and any of that crap miesposo spends money on rather than giving it to me!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
good thing about living in london was that i only needed to charge my oyster card. no cars, parts, oil changes
and any of that crap miesposo spends money on rather than giving it to me!

Yep, men need to get their priorities straight........ :p lol

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
. . . When I've found fair (not just cheap) vendors/providers I tend to be very loyal. Such loyalty, I believe, encourages such service providers to see the importance of honest, fair pricing and not just "Gouge the Gringo" pricing.
Good plan. Don't know if I've got special radar or what, but I've never really had "Gouge the Gringo" prices in 32 years here. Mayhaps there was no such thing in the early days, and now that there is, I'm already wiser in who/where to go.

Here's a tip, if you haven't already found tried and true go-to guys and stores. For repairs, stay with the guy every minute to see what he does. Since the squeaky wheel (that's you breathing over his shoulder) gets the oil here, the job will get done in proper time and sequence, and not get botched by start-and-stop operations and casual "helpers" and passersby as he gets interrupted by other squeaky wheels throughout the day ? that also can raise his costs which he passes on to you. Even better, next time you might be able do it yourself.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I got the phone number for the Haitian guy that the Domincan guys hired to do the high ladder work on installing my window air conditioners. That was about 4 years ago and I have found that he can do just about anything in the house -- electric, plumbing, rough carpentry, moving, whatever

I pay him a minimum of 200 pesos for a visit, then 1200 for the entire day if I have a big list.\

He has his own tools, and goes out to buy whatever he needs for the job.. always returns with the receipt and the bill.

Not to mention the shoemaker.. and now a tailor is opening up in the neighborhood...

WOW.. sometimes I remember the costs of technicians in the US as a real nightmare. Although I have had a number of really great technicians down in North carolina.. the mountain boys. ... I had a great electrician named Sparky who could also do a bit of plumbing....