what city are town should i live in
some place that is not just tourism
and with fair price of accomondation
like a studio apartment,
i am searching for also some night life
not completely dead at nights
ill be grateful for any tips
apartments and more
i speak portuguese so my spanish will be a fast learning process :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Nagua or San Francisco de Macoris are possibilities. I believe we have board members living in both that can comment. Both are more Dominican than tourism.

Dec 26, 2011
Nagua or San Francisco de Macoris are possibilities. I believe we have board members living in both that can comment. Both are more Dominican than tourism.

Nagua is an intriguing suggestion. Access to beautiful coastal scenery and fresh reasonably-priced seafood but far enough away from LT and SD.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Putas in Nagua

Nagua or San Francisco de Macoris are possibilities. (...) Both are more Dominican than tourism.

Nagua nightlife? :tired:
Hmm, of course, putas are everywhere. ;)
But apart from that...? :rolleyes:

donP

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Most towns which are not near the coast and which do not have a large number of expats have cheaper accommodation. The downside is that where there are less expats there are less (if any) English speaking people, and less international restaurants and supermarkets. Where I live a one bedroom apartment would be around 100 US$ a month. In addition the cost of food is also cheaper although significantly more limited than in a tourist and expat coastal resort. The downside is that you would have to speak Spanish as very few people speak English.

You can really take your pick from Barahona, Azua in the South West, through to San Francisco, Bonao, in the centre, Nagua in the North, maybe even El Seybo and Hato Mayor in the eastern central area, Monte Cristi and Dajabon in the North West and Mao, Sabaneta in the central north west. There are many more, just look at a map! You should decide though how far you want to be from an international airport, the Capital for all those legal tasks, a decent supermarket, and good medical facilities. Once you have decided on that, it will be much easier to narrow your choice down.

Matilda

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Iceland Beaches

Most towns which are not near the coast and which do not have a large number of expats have cheaper accommodation. The downside is that ...

.... there are no beaches.
[But true, he did not mention that.]

But then,if he really is from Iceland he may not like the sea... :rolleyes:

donP

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
hello everyone i am coming in october to dominican republic
what city are town should i live in
some place that is not just tourism
and with fair price of accomondation
like a studio apartment,
i am searching for also some night life
So, you mean to say you can live wherever in the DR? Hard to believe, unless you happen to be a retired person...If you care to elaborate on the activities you'd be performing that might help....obviously it influences which town would be better for you...

...do keep in mind that the DR is a small country, but not a tiny island (such as Barbados, Grenada, etc)...For example, the DR is larger than many well-known European countries such as Belgium and the Netherlands...the point is that certain places are relatively far from others (100's of Kilometres), it is not like everything is close to anywhere....

vida

Mar 18, 2010
Each person is looking for something for their particular life. For me Santo Domingo fits my needs. It is nice to visit other places but to live I prefer an urban lifestyle.

icelandic

Nov 28, 2009
thanks for all the tips,well i would not like to live in the cabin in the woods and yes i am from iceland but not afraid of the sea :) lol

icelandic

Nov 28, 2009
when i lved in brazil i lived in all sort of places like 40 min with a bus to the beach in a local community there no foreigners just me and also in front of the sea cross over the street from the beach keep in mind that portuguese and spanish are very similuar languages and my portuguese is fluent thanks i will look at all these places somebody talk about putas well you also find a beer on every corner right???

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Icelandic,
We dont have any volcanoes here either. Just a few extinct ones!

Olly

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
you sound like a Jarabacoa person...

Friendly locals, friendly colmado's where you can enjoy your beer, and hardly any tourists, except for the weekend when the obnoxious rich arrive...

BelgianK

icelandic

Nov 28, 2009
how is living in santiago is it #exspensive there
what should i exspect to pay for a studio apartment there
compared to the small towns?

ray718

May 28, 2010
you could try the town of moca. it close to a big city (santiago), decent nightlife, and good hospitals

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Given the limited information the OP has given, I'd would say check out the general vicinity of Juan Dolio...Juan Dolio proper (near the big resorts) is quite touristy and expensive...but not all areas around/near JD are...Many working-class Dominicans live in that general area (for example Guayacanes)...Besides offering a decent beach, it is a great location, while retaining some rural characteristics...The centre of Santo Domingo is less than an hour away, the airport even closer, and going East, San Pedro is only a few kilometres away...So, there is plenty to do, whether Beach right there, around the resorts (for example the Costa Caribe disco is open to the paying public), in San Pedro or in SD...Punta Cana is less than 2 hrs away through the new road...
The www offers plenty of info about that area, including this site, and some specially devoted to JD.