Help from Seasoned Travelers Please

JimmyGibbon

Jun 24, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am trying to book a flight to POP from Milwaukee for my upcoming stay at Beach Palace in Cabarete 11-1712 to 12-1-12. I'm having a gosh darn terrible time coming up with flights of less than 20 hours duration and less than 850.00. It seems as though one now needs to allot 24 hours of travel time, with an overnight layover. I've not traveled in 4 years, but don't recall the flight options being so limited at that time. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very thankful.

Jimmy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well gosh durnit Jimmy, why not check out Spirit Air and land in Santiago.

Seein' as how POP gets so little traffic from the states these days you would be much better off ($$$$) to fly into Santiago (STI).

And you can get a bus or car up to here you will be staying for cheap, too.

Also Jet Blue flies in and so does Continental and Delta..see about those connections...I just checked Spirit and you can do it for less than 600 and maybe for less than 500.

HB

Last edited:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am trying to book a flight to POP from Milwaukee for my upcoming stay at Beach Palace in Cabarete 11-1712 to 12-1-12. I'm having a gosh darn terrible time coming up with flights of less than 20 hours duration and less than 850.00. It seems as though one now needs to allot 24 hours of travel time, with an overnight layover. I've not traveled in 4 years, but don't recall the flight options being so limited at that time. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very thankful.

Jimmy

Jimmy I can save you some bucks, but it will be an adventure. I think it might save you about 400 to 450 dollars if you are up for the challenge.

1. you have to take a Greyhound to Chicago.

2. After that you walk outside to right and around the corner is Clinton Ave and the 'blueline" train to Ohare. The walk from
the bus station to the subway is not even a 3 min walk.

3. Take the train that says Ohare to the airport The total cost to get to Ohare from Milwaukee is 7.75USD your eyes are not playing tricks on you I said 7.75USD for both bus and train.

Instead of flying into pop you have to fly into STI from NYC. So ORD to NYC to STI the whole trip takes about 7 hours, you leave Chicago around 7:30 P.M. and arrive in STI 4:30 A.M.

The price of the ticket is 500USD sorry thought it would be a little cheaper then that, but the airfare went up.

Now I have to pass you off onto the experts of Santiago who can give you info on getting from STI to Cabarete. I know who to get you out of the midwest, but I am not to familiar with STI.

BTW The airline is Jetblue

Last edited:

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
When ever we go to Milwaukee or Denver from POP we ALWAYS end up staying over night in Miami. Look into Jetblue and Spirit.
My son is coming from Milwaukee next month on Jetblue via New York. One hour layover in NY then he lands in Santiago. At most its a 90 minute drive to POP from Santiago. Good luck

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Looked at your flight times on Kayak. They sure do suck. We can go from Vancouver, Canada to Puerto Plata in 16 hours normally or if we can get a direct flight, in 7 hours.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I like Hillbilly's idea. BUT... keep in mind that the airlines release seats over time and what you find today you might find completely different tomorrow. Sometimes when I'm shopping for flights, (Pittsburgh to Punta Cana), I'll find the same thing you're finding... stinking red eye flights with lengthy layovers at astronomical prices. Then the next day I'll find excellent flights for reasonable (????) prices, (if any airfares these days can be called reasonable.) The travel gurus say for international, shop 4 months out. It's also best to look Tuesday through Thursday, as the cheap seats generally are posted late Monday and then they raise the prices over the weekend, (when most people shop online.) Having specific dates makes it more difficult... flexible travel time is better. Good luck navigating the mine field!!!

JimmyGibbon

Jun 24, 2010
Thanks everybody for your help. It appears that Santiago will be the better option. The only snag is that the flight arrives in Santiago at 2:00AM. I'm sure that Caribe and Metro don't run at that time. I'll keep researching and let you guys know what I come up with.

Thanks again.

Jimmy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Stay overnight in Santiago, then get the bus later in the morning....

Thats what the STI passengers seem to do, stay over.
The late nite cabana charges are peso peanuts, they tell me..

It may still add up to 20 hrs but at least part of it is sleeping in a bed.:knockedou

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
You could stay at a cabana for 2 - 3 hours, then grab a taxi to the bus station for the earliest bus North in the morning. This gives you a few hours to catch some z's.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is just an idea..

Can you get to Punta Cana/la Romana directly from CHI ?

If so, then the last part of your trip is more interesting, cheaper and perhaps more enjoyable than the midwest.
Bus trip to SD, another to POP with as many stops in between as you want.
See the country.

I took the bus last month from Cabrera to SD last month... the long way, 4 hrs.... but it was pretty and interesting.
You can see a lot from up high in those buses.

As I say, just a thought.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Maybe as hillbilly suggests..

IF YOU ARE REAL FRUGAL ARRIVE AT 2am stay at the airport UNTIL 630 , that a piece of cake when you plan it , and caribe tours , or Metro ( I dont know Metro times ) but CARIBE TO CHARIMICOS , SOSUA PUBLICO TO CABARETE. ALSO CHECK OUT SAMANA AIRPORT NEAR LASTERRANAS- Nagua jet blue starts nov14 in there and a 2.5hour bus ride to Cabarete

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You may want to try United. Go thru Newark. Direct to POP. From BWI takes 6 Hrs.

Newark flight usually leaves too early for the incoming flight to make the connection. Hence the overnite.

Not sure of the Jet Blue departure time to Samana - thats worth a look.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Looking at Kayak and putting in include nearby airports it appears ORD-STI (O'hare to Santiago) are your best choices and fares arriving early enough can be found for around 660 USD. If you want to save even more then just take the one that arrives at 2:00 AM on Delta and just stay overnight in Santiago like some people have suggested.

JimmyGibbon

Jun 24, 2010
Well, Thank you very much for all of your replies. It looks as though I will end up flying Delta into Santiago, arriving at 2:00am. Fortunately, the management at the condo where we will be staying will send a driver for us and allow us to check in early. The Delta flight from Milwaukee to Santiago will be approximately 466.00

Thank you everyone.

Jimmy

JimmyGibbon

Jun 24, 2010
Ok, here is an update on my travels. I was able to find a Spirit flight from FLL to STI for 236.00, so, now I will find a flight from MKE to FLL. Also noteworthy is that this combination was not found on Kayak or any of the other sites like Priceline, ITA Matrix, etc. I basically pieced it together separately. Thanks you all very much for your help.

Jimmy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just be careful, b/c the flights aren't "linked".... if one flight is delayed/cancelled, the other flight won't know about it.

I ahve done exactly what you're doing... mine was Detroit to Orlando and on to POP..... but 2 separate tickets.
I left lots of spacing inbetween them.... and it was summer, no snow in DTW