US Embassy Alert Re Isaac

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo alerts all U.S. citizens that a hurricane watch is in effect for the south coast of the Dominican Republic from Isla Saona westward to the Haiti-Dominican Republic border. In addition, a tropical storm watch is in effect for the Northern coast of the Dominican Republic from the Haiti-Dominican Republic border eastward to North of Isla Saona. The National Hurricane Center reports that Tropical Storm Isaac could become a hurricane and reach the Dominican Republic by Thursday night or Friday morning. In the aftermath of some previous storms, U.S. citizens traveling abroad have encountered uncomfortable and often dangerous conditions that have lasted for several days while awaiting transportation back to the United States. In the past, many U.S. citizens have been forced to delay travel due to infrastructure damage to airports and limited flight availability. Roads were also washed out or obstructed by debris, adversely affecting access to airports and land routes out of affected areas. Reports of looting and sporadic violence in the aftermath of natural disasters are not uncommon. Security personnel may not be readily available to assist at all times. In the event of a hurricane, travelers should be aware that they may not be able to depart the area for 24-48 hours or longer. If a situation requires an evacuation from an overseas location, the Department of State will work with commercial airlines to ensure that U.S. citizens are repatriated as safely and efficiently as possible. Commercial airlines are the Department's primary source of transportation in an evacuation; other means of transport are utilized only as a last resort. The Department of State will not provide no-cost transportation, but does have the authority to provide repatriation loans to those in financial need. We recommend that you obtain travel insurance to cover unexpected expenses during an emergency. If you live in or are traveling to storm-prone regions, prepare for hurricanes and tropical storms by organizing a kit in a waterproof container that includes a supply of bottled water, non-perishable food items, a battery-powered or hand-crank radio, and vital documents (especially passport and other identification). Emergency shelters often provide only very basic resources and may have limited medical and food supplies. Monitor local radio, local media, and the National Weather Service to be aware of weather developments. Minor tropical storms can develop into hurricanes very quickly, limiting the time available for a safe evacuation. Inform family and friends of your whereabouts and remain in close contact with your tour operator, hotel staff, and local officials for evacuation instructions during a weather emergency. Additional information on hurricanes and storm preparedness may be found on our ?Hurricane Season-Know Before You Go? webpage, and on the ?Natural Disasters? page of the Bureau of Consular Affairs website. Updated information on travel in the Dominican Republic may be obtained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 within the United States and Canada, or from overseas, 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 am to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens in the Dominican Republic, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy. The Consular Section of the Embassy is located at the corner of Cesar Nicolas Penson Street and Maximo G?mez Avenue, Santo Domingo, D.R.; telephone 809-731-4294; after hours emergency telephone 809-221-2171; ACS unit fax 809-689-6142; e-mail SDOamericans@state.gov; web page www.usemb.gov.do.</pre>

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
suitably scary! I went to the market and did my hurricane shopping, and, as usual, I was the only one. perhaps i am one of the few who has the money to stock up????? But there are all these jeepetas near by...? perhaps every one else lives stocked up? who knows? but this house is stocked.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
suitably scary! I went to the market and did my hurricane shopping, and, as usual, I was the only one. perhaps i am one of the few who has the money to stock up????? But there are all these jeepetas near by...? perhaps every one else lives stocked up? who knows? but this house is stocked.

For some reason the majority of Dominicans leave things for the last minute.You will see them tomorrow
in supermarkets stocking up on food supplies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I mentioned this to my wife and she said, no matter what the Colmados in our neighbourhood would be open.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
The U.S. doesn't have a clue how to deal with storms so their advisories have to be interpreted wisely. Few businesses or residents have back-up power and homes are built like houses of cards. This storm may be getting attention because of an election soon to come?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The U.S. doesn't have a clue how to deal with storms so their advisories have to be interpreted wisely. Few businesses or residents have back-up power and homes are built like houses of cards. This storm may be getting attention because of an election soon to come?

And the fact that it is on route to Tampa and the Republican Convention.