Formally renouncing your Permanent-Residency.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
This is just out of curiosity.

If someone wanted to renounce their Permanent-Residency and have their name completely deleted from the Migracion system, how would they do it ?

Is it just as simple as never renewing your Permanent-Residency, will that cause an automatic deletion from their system or must you fill out a formal renounciation at Migracion ?
And if you just never renew your Permanent-Residency and 5 years down the road come to the Dominican-Republic for a week vacation with your familly will they tell you at the airport that you appear as a Permanent-Resident in their system, maybe even owing them money for all the years you didn't pay for the renewal ?

Does a formal renounciation of Permanent-Residency even exist at Migracion ?

Again, just out of curiosity. :alien:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Hay Expediente

Does a formal renounciation of Permanent-Residency even exist at Migracion?

Maybe.
Maybe not.
But you stand a good chance that they lose your file.... so, you no longer exist for them anyhow. :laugh:

donP

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Maybe.
Maybe not.
But you stand a good chance that they lose your file.... so, you no longer exist for them anyhow. :laugh:

donP

From reading the threads of a few months back I can see that this actually did happen to some people and "they no longer exist".

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I know people who have left the country some 15 years ago and when they moved back here they were still in the system with all the "late fees" which could occur if they ever decided to get up to date with their residency status. Deletion of your file? Never heard that this is possible.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I know people who have left the country some 15 years ago and when they moved back here they were still in the system with all the "late fees" which could occur if they ever decided to get up to date with their residency status. Deletion of your file? Never heard that this is possible.

WOW, now you really got my curiosity going.

Are you saying that once a Permanent-Resident always a Permanent-Resident, and that if you should ever return to the Dominican-Republic for a simple fun in the sun visit, they will charge you late renewal fees ??

Oh-well, I guess I'm doomed to be a Permanent-Resident for life, and pay and pay, and X-ray and X-ray.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004

Were they told this at the airport or at Migracion? Cause I honestly doubt (not saying it's impossible though) that the customs agents have access to that information...

And re: the deletion of files, it happened to several people on this board in the past year...

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
WOW, now you really got my curiosity going.

Are you saying that once a Permanent-Resident always a Permanent-Resident, and that if you should ever return to the Dominican-Republic for a simple fun in the sun visit, they will charge you late renewal fees ??

Oh-well, I guess I'm doomed to be a Permanent-Resident for life, and pay and pay, and X-ray and X-ray.

No, I said if they ever decided to get their residency status up to date. And yes, files get deleted by accident.

Miro

Feb 14, 2012
I always thought that once you didn't renew your residency, you had to start all over again? So If your records are still in migration all you have to do is pay the past fees to get permanent residency back

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IF you decide to move away, making your Residence Permit redundant, I would suggest having your lawyer write a letter for your file in Migracion stating that you will be leaving the country, and that perhaps in the future you might return...no more, no less. With love and affection yours truly.....So they know you are not going away mad so to speak....

HB

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012

When I was getting my permanent residency card in immigration I stumbled upon someone who had been away from the D.R. for a long time and he was in the process of getting his permanent residency up-to-date by paying the "late fees" so I can verify that this is true.

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
I always thought that once you didn't renew your residency, you had to start all over again? So If your records are still in migration all you have to do is pay the past fees to get permanent residency back

See my post just before this one.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Miracles at Migraci?n

And yes, files get deleted by accident.

Now, would those 'accidents' happen, if someone at immigration 'thinks' that your normal renewal fees are not enough....for (him / her)? :rolleyes:

A guy told me that 'unfortunately' all his data were lost and he had to start from scratch again.
With the help of a laywer his file reappeared.... :speechles

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I was getting my permanent residency card in immigration I stumbled upon someone who had been away from the D.R. for a long time and he was in the process of getting his permanent residency up-to-date by paying the "late fees" so I can verify that this is true.

According to the information in the threads on the "new residency" procedure if you leave the DR for 6 months without special permission then you would lose your residency and have to start over from the beginning. I have seen this in several places, so what you saw about catching up and paying the back fees and fines is no longer supposed to be possible.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
According to the information in the threads on the "new residency" procedure if you leave the DR for 6 months without special permission then you would lose your residency and have to start over from the beginning. I have seen this in several places, so what you saw about catching up and paying the back fees and fines is no longer supposed to be possible.

Would this apply to us long time Prmanent-Residents too, or just those starting the process now for the first time ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Would this apply to us long time Prmanent-Residents too, or just those starting the process now for the first time ?

It applies for certain to long time permanent residents. Just another part of the far reaching ill-conceived immigration reform (lack of ) plan.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I'm now seriously thinking about closing my Bank accounts in the D-R and not re-applying for residency ever again.

Even if I were to think that applying for Dominican Citizenship is a good preventative measure from these continuos abuses by Migracion, who's to say that in the future they won't make a law that all Naturalized Dominican Citizens out of the country for more than 6 months would loose their Citizenship status and then have to start over again to regain it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm now seriously thinking about closing my Bank accounts in the D-R and not re-applying for residency ever again.

Even if I were to think that applying for Dominican Citizenship is a good preventative measure from these continuos abuses by Migracion, who's to say that in the future they won't make a law that all Naturalized Dominican Citizens out of the country for more than 6 months would loose their Citizenship status and then have to start over again to regain it.

Well before you do that, just sit tight for a while. What they have come up with was so poorly conceived, the various details seem likely to change quite a bit as time goes on.

The prod to convert from a resident to a citizen does seem quite apparent at the moment for anyone that spends extended periods out of the DR. For some people, it is not a legal possibility dependent upon their mother country. Only time, from a few months to a year, will see how this all turns out.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
'permanent' resident status is lost in MANY countries

The new procedure may be patterned after that of many countries...I know for a fact that many if not all countries take away the 'permanent resident' status after a prolonged absence..which may be only six (6) MONTHS....Generally countries around the world view any "privilege" they give to a foreigner as basically a favour...they don't owe foreigners anything...the possible exception may be the most basic "human rights", but even those may be open to interpretation...

For additional perspective you may want to inquire on how *YOUR* country handle this case, or any other case involving immigrants...you may find that YOUR country does not offer Dominicans many of the "privileges" the DR offers you...again, it may help for perspective.