Donald Trump sues Cap Cana Resort

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...es-suit-against-Cap-Cana-resort-New-York-Post

This is almost too funny. Donald Trump, the master of real estate, being taken in by shady real estate deals in the Dominican Republic. Now Donald will have to worry about all of the investors who did buy based on his representations and are the people who actually lost money!

Donald is suing about money he didn't receive. The others should sue because of money they actually invested and lost!

jejejeje...welcome to the Dominican Republic, Sr. Donald!

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Donald is suing about money he didn't receive. The others should sue because of money they actually invested and lost! jejejeje...welcome to the Dominican Republic, Sr. Donald!
I don't really know the details of this issue other than what is reported in the short story, which is strictly based on Trump's side...perhaps it is exactly as he says...more than likely the other side has a very different account...probably the truth is somewhere between....

What I do know is that it is absolutely wrong to try to make this sound as a "Dominican" problem...Cap Cana is a PRIVATE business venture by a group of investors that includes some Dominicans...Right now it isn't totally clear who owns what...Anyway, they may or may not do the right thing...and if they don't it is THEIR FAULT as private investors...there are many honourable people doing business in the DR...if the CC people aren't it is not because of the DR...it is because of the way they are...it is THEIR fault.

Incidentally, Casa de Campo is an example of a similar project that have done quite well, and seems to have a solid reputation...it is also in the DR, and it is not necessarily the only possible example.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Trump had little to do with that project other than selling his name. The same thing happened in Tampa with the "Trump Towers" there.

We were there in '09 and reported about the visit on DR1. It was a tumbleweed ghost town back then.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I hope he'll fare better than some of my neighbours here, former employees/contractors who are owed biggish bucks by Cap Cana yet seem to think they have zero chance of ever recovering their debts.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Its ironic how this guys name carries so much prestige. He stiffs every contractor hes ever worked with and will sell is name to anyone with the money to pay him.
I hope he gets whatever he deserves.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I would say "The Donald" is one of the best self-promoters in the world, bar none, and he has a little bit of talent in the real estate business. He has done an amazing job of burying his stupendous failures while simultaneously elevating the most minor success into a world shattering event. Although I do not like the man from what I see I do have to respect the fact that he has most people completely bamboozled as to the true 'value' of his backing and name. I guess the old adage 'a sucker is born every minute' heralds true.

Certainly there are honorable people doing business in the Dominican Republic, I'd like to think I am one of them. But unfortunately the number of dishonorable people is a staggeringly high number and the judicial system here has little to no teeth to really deal with it. I cannot begin to count the number of people I've known or heard of who have been ripped off and attempted to get recompensed in the courts here; with generally very, very unsatisfactory results.

Until the Dominican Republic takes a much more aggressive and protective stance against illegal and immoral businesses, be it in real estate or elsewhere, the country will continue to go through these 'scandals' and 'embarrassments' in front of the worldwide investment community. Someday, I fear, it will bite them square in the ass!

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Well to bad for the Donald. He'll have to accept produce as a settlement.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Its ironic how this guys name carries so much prestige. He stiffs every contractor hes ever worked with and will sell is name to anyone with the money to pay him.

He deserves for God to totally Fluck up his hair.... oh wait... too late for that one. LOL

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Is that the word out there on him? If that's the case whatever respect I have is gone. As an engineer/contractor I have been stiffed more times than I'd like to admit - in the US of all places.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Is that the word out there on him? If that's the case whatever respect I have is gone. As an engineer/contractor I have been stiffed more times than I'd like to admit - in the US of all places.

Hes all about the deal. Theres a reason he doesnt do anything in NY any longer.

I dont like for anyone to lose money or get screwed over. I will say that there were very few innocents at whatever table put Cap Cana together LOL.