The metro?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
UrbanRail.Net > America > Dominican Republic > Santo Domingo Metro

How confident can I be in this system that it runs on time? I know there are regular power shortages, does this effect the train? I know it can be typically hectic in any city when using the underground, is this any different, meaning does it get terribly busy? Is it a safe mode of transport to use on a 9to5 (undergrounds all over the world are haunts for criminals, any different in santo Domingo?). How much is it typically? (I don't need exact priced, just is it expensive and worth driving into town, or cheap). And where are the best online maps that will give me the best idea of where exactly these stops are around the city, different lines, change overs etc and specifically where they are beside significant roads, landmarks, zones etc (I found a couple of maps but it is unclear what is where as there is no key for the symbols, and I don't think the 'M' does represent the metro as there are so many of them).

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
I rode the metro twice during a visit to Santo Domingo last December, It's very new and modern, there was A/C and lots of police around, I rode it from Maximo Gomez to the very end and back. I have to say I was quite surprised. I took a few pictures as well. Yes, it was crowded but not packed, there was enough air and it was comfortable. As far as reliability and what not, I have no clue. There are informational maps located at all the entrances. Overall I think it will make a difference in the long run and was a good investment by the government. Especially when the other lines are completed, it will alleviate traffic, people from the outter suburbs can park and ride or walk and ride. It gives people another option, in fact, it may even be self sufficient in the years to come. If I lived in Santo Domingo, I'd be a regular!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's one straight line currently, not much can go wrong, have seen in the paper 2 or 3 times that people had to get out and take above ground transport due to a power outage. I would say its reliable.

Last edited:

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Are there any maps online that would help identify exactly where this line runs and which stops it stops at in relation to other things?

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
a new method of transportation

will there ever be a metro line coming to the Blue Mall?

Does anyone have this information?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Does anyone have this information?
No, none of the six intended lines, if they will all be completed will enter the Central Polygon, but basically run along either Maximo gomez (1), Kennedy (2), 27 (3), luperon and on the other side of the river.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
How close would it need to be?
There is a metro stop at Churchill/Kennedy which seems to be ca. 1 KM from the Mall, or a 15-min walk or so.
You can find on the net information on all planned routes (which may or may not be ever built)...Line 1 is operating, and Line 2 is very near completion (although somewhat shorter than originally planned).

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I suppose you are considering opening a shop? I would go for agora or Sambil which do have a metro station

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The second line will go in operation in December, but only the Kil?metro 9 to just before the puente S?nchez stretch. There are plans to build the sixth line next, which will connect the Colonial Zone to the second line. I have no clue when construction of the other lines (or the rest of the second line) will start.

There are plans currently in the works for a mass transit system in Santiago, but its not clear to me if its an actual Metro or a light rail system. Whatever it is, the municipal government is rather serious in pursuing. I think it might be a light rail system, since the national government will not be funding this project and to build a Metro in Santiago (or anywhere in the country) requires the economic muscle that only the national government can provide. But time will tell.

Santiago is also going to get many new overpasses (elevados), all will be built by the municipal government (unlike in the capital where the national government built almost all of them -I say almost in case there's one or two that was built by the city government, because as far as I know, all were built by the national government-.)