There's A New Sheriff In Town

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hope on Brito

I have a lot of confidence in Dom?nguez Brito.
But only when I see those being persecuted now will go to jail, will I be a believer.

Hoy Digital

donP

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I have a lot of confidence in Dom?nguez Brito.
But only when I see those being persecuted now will go to jail, will I be a believer.

Hoy Digital

donP

Exactly, arrests are usually just a means to bribe them for their freedom, then back to the streets!!!

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Exactly, arrests are usually just a means to bribe them for their freedom, then back to the streets!!!

So what your saying is; that the new prosecutor (Dom?nguez Brito) is bribing someone through trumped up charges, who himself is being brought up on charges for bribing someone else? I highly doubt this.

Dominguez Brito is a straight shooter, he doesn't play around, hence the reason why he quit as prosecutor in 2006. Smiply put, he wasn't willing to play politics with the curropt government officials.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So what your saying is; that the new prosecutor (Dom?nguez Brito) is bribing someone through trumped up charges, who himself is being brought up on charges for bribing someone else? I highly doubt this.

Dominguez Brito is a straight shooter, he doesn't play around, hence the reason why he quit as prosecutor in 2006. Smiply put, he wasn't willing to play politics with the curropt government officials.

Taino, Mario Acosta is not charged with bribing anyone, he's charged with accepting bribes, mostly in exchange for moving inmates from one prison to another. The worst part is that the briber reportedly was a drug dealer who wanted his guys in certain places. Doesn't sound "trumped up".

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
for a more coherent account of the case, why not read today's DR1 news summary?
AG orders arrest of Prisons Director
Attorney General Francisco Dominguez Brito has issued an arrest order for the former Director of Prisons, Mario Acosta. The Attorney General will request coercive measures for Acosta who is accused of receiving a RD$1 million bribe from the alleged boss of a network of money launderers, Pascual Cordero Martinez, a.k.a. El Chino or El Gordo. Acosta, who had left the dependency of the Attorney General's office on 16 August, was arrested at 10am yesterday Tuesday 28 August, according to Diario Libre.
During a press conference, Dominguez Brito gave details of the investigation led by his office. It established that Cordero Martinez allegedly paid the money to Acosta in return for ensuring that the inmate was returned to La Victoria Prison from the Anamuya Correctional and Rehabilitation Center in Higuey.
He added that with a judge's order they taped dozens of telephone calls that the former official supposedly made to Cordero Martinez through inmate Jose Alexis Jimenez, who is currently in prison for the murder of Geuris Batista Michell in Villa Mella. Jimenez was sent to preventive custody in La Victoria, but the Attorney General says that Acosta managed to transfer him to the section for prisoners facing extradition in Najayo. In the recordings, the inmate is heard telling El Chino that Acosta "is one of us, from here to La Victoria, and from there to his house."
Cordero Martinez (El Chino) and another 15 people are accused of belonging to a criminal organization that carried out a series of crimes, including drug trafficking and money laundering of more than RD$250,000,000. Dominguez Brito added that a certificate from the penitentiary center in Higuey reveals that Acosta met in private with the alleged money launderer, and the authorities are investigating if the meeting was connected with an alleged escape plan in which the inmate would feign illness in order to be removed from the prison. The prosecutor also says that according to the investigation the former Director of Prisons scripted what Cordero Martinez was supposed to say when he pretended to be sick.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Taino, Mario Acosta is not charged with bribing anyone, he's charged with accepting bribes, mostly in exchange for moving inmates from one prison to another. *The worst part is that the briber reportedly was a drug dealer who wanted his guys in certain places. Doesn't sound "trumped up".

Yes your absolutely right, I totally understand the charges against Mario Acosta, and I also understand that they ARE NOT trumped up. Perhaps I wasn't clear as to what I was trying to get across.

My post to "expat13" did start with my questioning him on what he ment by his comment. Thus my questioning his statement that Dominguez Brito was not bribing the accused in any way. I was wrong however, to state that Mario Acosta bribed an inmate (El Chino) when in fact what I ment to say was that the person jailed for bribery was Hector Balcacer, assistant prosecutor from Villa Riva; both charged and arrested on the same day.

Mario Acosto for receiving bribes from a known drug dealer, and Hector Balcacer for bribing someone else.

My apologies for any confusions.