Planning to move to D.R. Where to find Field Tech, Help Desk, Tech Support positions?

illmortalized

Aug 31, 2012
Hey guys,

Come next year, early in the year, I plan to leave the U.S. and move out to D.R.
I have been trying to find some sources online for jobs in the Information Technology industry. Anyone have some good links or references?

May 12, 2005
If you don't mind working for around 15,000 pesos a month.......... If you are planning on relocating it is best to have money already.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you don't mind working for around 15,000 pesos a month.......... If you are planning on relocating it is best to have money already.

No question about this. If you need to work to live here, it is not recommended. If that money is a supplement to long term retirement money even if you could find what is considered a good job here then you would be OK. It is very unlikely you will find such a job.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Can you find remote work instead?
Also, this way, it will open up your location options in the DR (or anywhere else for that matter).

illmortalized

Aug 31, 2012
Is the tech field that low in pay? I have relatives in a few parts of D.R. (La Romana, La Vega, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, Santiago, and Santo Domingo) and a couple of cousins of mine were telling me that there's American companies in D.R. that pay well. I found Xerox out there in Santo Domingo, but unfortunately there's no source online that shows what's the average income for the I.T. industry.

Can you find remote work instead?
Also, this way, it will open up your location options in the DR (or anywhere else for that matter).

There's a site called, "odesk" if I'm not mistaken. But that's like a haven for programmers and web developers. I have hands on experience with web development but that wouldn't bring in enough income unless I fully dedicated myself in web development. But I'm more of a hands on / troubleshooter with hardware and operating system issues.

Thank you, really appreciate it!

No question about this. If you need to work to live here, it is not recommended. If that money is a supplement to long term retirement money even if you could find what is considered a good job here then you would be OK. It is very unlikely you will find such a job.

Honestly, it would be work to live. I figured that a position of something like Help Desk support would be one of the semi-higher paying careers in the I.T. industry of D.R.

I'm not a real big spender, honestly, I'd just need to make income to pay the common bills and small expenditures:

Cable internet
Rent
Electricity
Cell phone
Gym membership
Groceries

And some how be able to save for a motorcycle or a car.

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You need at least 25,000 per month to live (alone) a very basic life. Anyway, RD$ 15,000 / month is on the low end. If you are good at your job and responsible and speak spanish you should be able to earn RD$30,000.

Then again: I was told before I came (back) three years ago that to be able to live reasonable RD$80,000 / month was enough (2 adults, 2 children). Being here I notice I need RD$200,000 to live reasonable (nothing luxury).

illmortalized

Aug 31, 2012
You need at least 25,000 per month to live (alone) a very basic life. Anyway, RD$ 15,000 / month is on the low end. If you are good at your job and responsible and speak spanish you should be able to earn RD$30,000.

Then again: I was told before I came (back) three years ago that to be able to live reasonable RD$80,000 / month was enough (2 adults, 2 children). Being here I notice I need RD$200,000 to live reasonable (nothing luxury).

See I was under the impression that Dominican Republic is currently in development mode, for lack of a better term. That is that it is now starting to advance in a few industries, especially the technology industry. Normally when this happens even in a small region of the world, it happens to be one of the main focuses to get well educated/experienced employees to help develop this industry, and for the most part the income tends to go up because of the large future investment in said industry.

I would be living solo, no kids, no girlfriend/wife.. nor do I plan to unless I was actually wealthy and completely financially comfortable.

And yeah I speak Spanish, but not as good as my English. That's why I'm even willing to work in the field such as internet service installer (installing modems on PCs / networks for internet access).