Sashimi and Thai Restaurants....

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Is Yamazato still open and place to go for a authentic Japanese food? I did a Search and it looks like there are few other places serve Sushi but it looks like Yamazato is a place to serve my wife's Sushi and my Sashimi craving again. Last time since I have made a mistake and not putting restaurant information in my gps I want to prepare for my up coming trip (this or next week) to north coast.

And How about Viet Cafe? A are they good as tripadvisor reviewers says? I guess we can share Pad Thai and Vietnamese noodle soup between us two along with other Thai foods?

How much do you think is the cab ride from those restaurants to one of AI resorts? (probably near Playa Dorada Golf Club)...

Thanks....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we sometimes go to this very strange place in POP called su.s.h.i.t.o/tacito. yes, it serves sushi AND tacos :)
but sushi is decent and tacos not bad either :)
calle presidente vasquez #3, POP, 809 261 3330.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is Yamazato still open and place to go for a authentic Japanese food? I did a Search and it looks like there are few other places serve Sushi but it looks like Yamazato is a place to serve my wife's Sushi and my Sashimi craving again. Last time since I have made a mistake and not putting restaurant information in my gps I want to prepare for my up coming trip (this or next week) to north coast.

And How about Viet Cafe? A are they good as tripadvisor reviewers says? I guess we can share Pad Thai and Vietnamese noodle soup between us two along with other Thai foods?

How much do you think is the cab ride from those restaurants to one of AI resorts? (probably near Playa Dorada Golf Club)...

Thanks....

Since the cab ride from the airport would be about $35 US I suspect a cab ride from a one of the AI resorts would be about $50 US. I would not be going there for a meal if the round trip was $70 to $100, but that is just me.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Yamazoto is still the place for good sushi or sashimi. They were (are) closed due to Holiday of owners, not sure when they are open again.
Miro on the beach is not bad also but I refer Yamazoto because they have a Japanese chef and you can tell.
For good Thai I recommend Chili's in La Mulata.
Viet Cafe...I wasn't impressed really.

Acira

Last edited:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
we sometimes go to this very strange place in POP called su.s.h.i.t.o/tacito. yes, it serves sushi AND tacos :)
but sushi is decent and tacos not bad either :)
calle presidente vasquez #3, POP, 809 261 3330.
Hmmmm.....
Sushi and Tacos is interesting combination but I rather seek out a authentic for now. Then again you have gave me craving for soft shell toco... :( Is there good Toco in Santiago? I don't want toco bell or Dominicanized version...

Since the cab ride from the airport would be about $35 US I suspect a cab ride from a one of the AI resorts would be about $50 US. I would not be going there for a meal if the round trip was $70 to $100, but that is just me.
I guess I should limit myself on sake intake then. :( I was hoping to eat and drink a lot of sake if the ride was cheap enough. I'll leave drinking in AI then.

Yamazoto is still the place for good sushi or sashimi. They were (are) closed due to Holiday of owners, not sure when they are open again.
Miro on the beach is not bad also but I refer Yamazoto because they have a Japanese chef and you can tell.
For good Thai I recommend Chili's in La Mulata.
Viet Cafe...I wasn't impressed really.

Acira

Thanks... I am hoping for another authentic Japanese and hopefully it's better experience then Aka in Santo. Aka wasn't bad it wasn't just great for what we have paid. I almost forgot about Chili's, I've read that it had good food but it's kinda hard to find? Decent spring rolls, shrimps dishes and Pad Thai sounds mighty good. I'll put both information in GPS and see where it take us.

Re opened yesterday

Bob K
Yamazato or Chili's?
Thanks anyways!

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
chili is not a restaruant that you should take taxi to, I don't think you can return to your hotel after your dinner easily.

The chef in Yamazoto is not Janpanese, he is Thai. The food is not bad, but if you were not happy with Aka in Santo. that may be another disappiontment........

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
chili is not a restaruant that you should take taxi to, I don't think you can return to your hotel after your dinner easily.

The chef in Yamazoto is not Janpanese, he is Thai. The food is not bad, but if you were not happy with Aka in Santo. that may be another disappiontment........

I will be on a company car so I do have car. It's the amount of drinking I was looking forward to do while eating food so that's why I asked about taxi. No biggie. I'll be eating out and drink in AI. I just hope they are decent enough so the all the drinks does't taste same watered down Brugal, for example, Celusima...

I guess it all depends... As sashimi fanatic and who had it for very long time in various places. In many cases I believe it's all about how fish are the fishes that day and chief maintain/prepares the special (frozen) fishes. I just hope there's a VERY fresh fish that day. I don't know if I can speak enough Spanish to ask for freshest variety but I am going to try this time.

I don't want to see fishes live while I eat but I would love a plateful of fishes this fresh....
[video=youtube;UxDNWMmyaz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxDNWMmyaz8[/video]

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Haven't looked at the chef at Yamazoto's so good to tell if its a Thai or Japanese chef.
Either way, his knife skills are way better then Miro's.
And of course you cannot compare with New York, you shouldn't do that or otherwise every time you eat out in the DR could be a dissapointment.
Yamazoto is doing just fine in my opinion AND next door is Gordito's who has delicious Taco's :)

Acira

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
You will have no problem finding Yamazato in Cab. As for the fish quality, I don't think Yamazato will be any better then Aka in Santo.

Chili is another stroy. I even have trouble finding it myself some time. I live in Sosua part time over 10 years. Chili is in an area remote from town, in the middle of nowhere. If you are going to hire a taxi, your better have the taxi wait for you while you enjoy your dinner there in order to go back to your hotel.

The food in Chili is cooked by a Thai lady, and serve in Thai portion. I know you are from NY, so the portion is like 1/3 of what you use to. It is home cooking, nothing fancy. But paying $10.00 for a small dish of noodle which I feel is over price.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Haven't looked at the chef at Yamazoto's so good to tell if its a Thai or Japanese chef.
Either way, his knife skills are way better then Miro's.
And of course you cannot compare with New York, you shouldn't do that or otherwise every time you eat out in the DR could be a dissapointment.
Yamazoto is doing just fine in my opinion AND next door is Gordito's who has delicious Taco's :)

Acira

I cannot wait to see what PICHARDO will say about this...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I cannot wait to see what PICHARDO will say about this...

That...
- the rice production in the DR is far superior in quality...
- the fish is far fresher, bigger, and tastier in the DR...
- the machete is the only good knife to cut sashimi...
- the best sushi in the world is made from DR rice, beans, and blanquita...
- the lobster sushi is far better with a DR lobster, compared to a Maine lobster
- most world reknown sushi masters actually went to university in SD
- the Agora Mall is going to have the best sashimi and sushi place in the world...

And Yapask1 will claim that...

- Japanese food is very cheap in LT with the high quality FREE seaweed, and the cheap shrimp
- DR rice is indeed superior for sushi if cooked in solar cooker
- it is very easy to eat a fantastic sashimi for less than 100rds
- the sushi is also very cheap, although you have to buy the shrimp for that...
- you have to eat it on the beach...
- it is quite easy to eat sushi and a grande presidente on a daily budget of 200 rds...

BelgianK

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Viet Cafe i wasnt impressed with when i went with some friends shortly after it opened. Food was tasty but portions were small...so small, i had to make myself some toast with pb when i got home!

And then last week the same friends i went with the first time went again and said it was exactly the same small portions :(

Jan 17, 2009
I've been to the Viet Cafe multiple times. I never felt the portions were small at all, and never left hungry. I tend to pick Thai dishes though.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Is there decent hotel in Cabarete or Sosua? With us planing to visit multiple restaurants in the area I should stay in Hotel and venture out and go to few restaurants in the area. Yamazato and Chili will be on my definite list and perhaps I should stop by everyone's favorite Rocky's between them? I find AI food offering isn't very impressive.

So Saturday late lunch at Chili and Dinner at Yamazato swim with my son at the beach between them. Sunday breakfast or lunch at Rocky another couple of hours at beach and one more place for breakfast/lunch and return to Santiago?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Is there decent hotel in Cabarete or Sosua? With us planing to visit multiple restaurants in the area I should stay in Hotel and venture out and go to few restaurants in the area. Yamazato and Chili will be on my definite list and perhaps I should stop by everyone's favorite Rocky's between them? I find AI food offering isn't very impressive.

So Saturday late lunch at Chili and Dinner at Yamazato swim with my son at the beach between them. Sunday breakfast or lunch at Rocky another couple of hours at beach and one more place for breakfast/lunch and return to Santiago?

There are several decent hotels in Sosua and Cabarete..not many "great ones" but it depends on your budget and tastes.

A weekend of beach and good food sounds like a great idea, probably more interesting than a couple of days at an AI in Puerto Plata...one note though...Chili Thai is not open for lunch, but Yamazato is...and another note...you can have lunch right on either beach after swimming and before you head back to Santiago.