Safe for a Gringo to travel to Santiago?

Greg81

Aug 12, 2012
Ok folks, I've been hearing different stories from different people. One person told me that as a Gringo I would be a target to get robbed or taken advantage of in Santiago and that I should only visit a resort area like Puerto Plata. Another person said Santiago is no more dangerous than NYC.

I'm waiting for your advise - thanks.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Santiago is no more dangerous than NYC. If you tell me your coming to NYC I would say, great! Enjoy downtown area and all; but avoid certain areas at night and maybe even during the day. Same in Santiago, great areas to visit, great night life, great people but bad areas you should stay away from: Cien fuegos, La Hoya, Los Ciruelitos, Nivaje, El Ejido,....help me out guys.

What exactly will you be doing in Santiago? Will you be by yourself or with a Dominican? Driving or on foot? Where will you be staying?

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
gold chains and rolexes will make you a target......anywhere.

never pay the first price for anything, always ask how much is any taxi before you get in. usual stuff. Use your common sense and I am sure you will be fine. just like any new place that you go to.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Santiago's fine, don't start running scared..............
Been here since 2005 and haven't had any problems worth mentioning................
If you need any help with anything when you arrive, just pm me.........

B in Santiago

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Ok folks, I've been hearing different stories from different people. One person told me that as a Gringo I would be a target to get robbed or taken advantage of in Santiago and that I should only visit a resort area like Puerto Plata. Another person said Santiago is no more dangerous than NYC.

I'm waiting for your advise - thanks.

BS, BS and more BS. I cannot count the number of times I've been to Santiago in the past decade. NYC wishes it was this nice. Sure, you can be stupid and go look for trouble...and definitely find it...but if you are a normal sentient being with your faculties enabled I doubt you'd have much trouble.

Santiago and Santo Domingo (and Cabarete and Sosua and Punta Cana and...) all have 'bad places' you need to avoid. If you are aware of your surroundings you'll know when you are getting there. If you aren't...well...we'll read about you up here!

Enjoy this country! It's wonderful!!

Dec 26, 2011
I recently stayed a few days in one of the rougher neighborhoods of Santiago, in the home of my gf's aunt. Had a wonderful time. Drove at night to go to the movies without a problem. Went swimming around Amina one afternoon. Went to the shopping district to get some books. Ate some good kidneys and blood sausage for cheap. Santiago's a beautiful area. Have fun!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
a "rougher Area" which has a shopping District where Books are sold/a Bookstore, wow, that's omprovement, lol.

as others wrote above,
use your commo sence as you do at home and you will be fine/even better off than at home.
you survived NYC, Santiago or any other mayor City in the DR will just be a walk thru the Campo for ya.

walking the wrong line/street in a Resort Area liek PoP or Punta Cana would be more dangerous than a common sense guided walk into Town in the Cities.

Yes,
as a Gringo you will be a Target to be taken advantage of
IF You and Your Attitude allow such.
and such then happens to Dominicans, too.
it is yourself who makes or brakes to be a target for beeing taken advantage of.

have Fun

Mike

Dec 26, 2011
a "rougher Area" which has a shopping District where Books are sold/a Bookstore, wow, that's omprovement, lol.

as others wrote above,
use your commo sence as you do at home and you will be fine/even better off than at home.
you survived NYC, Santiago or any other mayor City in the DR will just be a walk thru the Campo for ya.

walking the wrong line/street in a Resort Area liek PoP or Punta Cana would be more dangerous than a common sense guided walk into Town in the Cities.

Yes,
as a Gringo you will be a Target to be taken advantage of
IF You and Your Attitude allow such.
and such then happens to Dominicans, too.
it is yourself who makes or brakes to be a target for beeing taken advantage of.

have Fun

Mike

I drove to the shopping district, movie theater and Amina from Cienfuegos. :)

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Santiago is no more dangerous than NYC. If you tell me your coming to NYC I would say, great! Enjoy downtown area and all; but avoid certain areas at night and maybe even during the day. Same in Santiago, great areas to visit, great night life, great people but bad areas you should stay away from: Cien fuegos, La Hoya, Los Ciruelitos, Nivaje, El Ejido,....help me out guys.

What exactly will you be doing in Santiago? Will you be by yourself or with a Dominican? Driving or on foot? Where will you be staying?

Avoid Cien Fuegos? then that means I will have to find some new novias:cheeky:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I'm currently staying in a "roughER" part of Santiago until my furniture arrives, or at least I was told that it was rough. been there 3 weeks without any problems. There have been a couple of shootings at night mostly targeted at Dominican Yorks in Jeepetas, and the Pica Pollo was robbed and everybody in it but I have had no problem and walk around withut a problem. Have walked to Associacion Cibao to the ATM several times alone without a problem, but now that I'm typing this, I will probably stop that.

Basically, don't hang out where you shouldn't and don't wear alot of jewelry or flash alot of cash. Common sense stuff.

SHALENA

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Basically, don't wear alot of jewelry or flash alot of cash. Common sense stuff.
SHALENA
I've been cruising often drunken on foot after 3 am in SD and North Coast. Till today no problems. A few times got robbed in bano, when my hands were occupied, hope the few coins they got were appreciated. Of course, one could meet crazy persons with no joke, but no risk no fun.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Living in Los Jardines , walking around day, night,early, late , the only thing I ever suffered was bad service once at a restaurant.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Having live most of my life in Santiago, I would say that whoever told you that is full of bull doo doo..

I have had a few beers and some single malt today, so I will be short.

It is a great place to live, work, love etc..I raised 11 kids here and and now working on 22 more!!

Just a few more posts than the previous poster, but then I have been in the same are for 47 years...Nuff said.

HB