Unusual Seismic Activy N of Virgin Is

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Has anyone been observing the large amount of seismic activity in a cluster N of the Virgin Is ?

Real-time Earthquake Map Once the page opens continue to left click on the Virgin Is location until the map centers into the location.

The average weekly spread of seismic events until recently has been averaging about 30 - 40 which includes the eastern end of Hispanola, Puerto Rico, and the Antilles. However, over the past week the zone north of the Virgin Is. has amassed about 300 events and continues. There is a fault line there (and extends offshore parallel over the length of the DR north coast) and includes the Puerto Rican trench.

Wonder if anybody has some inside information. Should there be concern ?

Regards,

PJT

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
i been watching also. Don't know how unusual it is. All I do know is that typically the quakes on the faultline normally go from east to west, meaning that a release on the east side can put pressure on the west side. Just like the 5.3 we had a couple months ago, they had the first one in anguila and then about five days later we had one here.

dave

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I remember reading about the earthquake that hit Haiti about 2 years ago and scientists warned
President Leonel that a catastrophic earthquake will hit the DR.It's only a matter of time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I remember reading about the earthquake that hit Haiti about 2 years ago and scientists warned
President Leonel that a catastrophic earthquake will hit the DR.It's only a matter of time.

Correct. Sometime between the next nanosecond and 1 million years from now it is likely there will be a major earthquake or two in the DR. Nobody knows exactly when. The best thing to do is implement building codes as they have in Chile where they do a good job constructing buildings to withstand earthquakes in areas where the building codes are actually enforced.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
eeaef19a.jpg

This does look kind of scary yes

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Castllamonte,
So long as you did not have "Rice and Beans" we are all probably alright. Mix that With Onions and Carots and Wow! Davetuna - aftershocks!!
There has been a similar quake storm in Southern California but no conclusion drawn there either!

Olly and the Team

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Two more in the past hour, same area. So many quakes in the same area is weird and concerning.
Everybody would have bet that the haiti earthquake would more likely have happened in DR. We just have to be prepared and hope nothing happens in the near future

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Not sure, California would have been gone long ago using that kind of math... I prefer pressure released in countless little ones like that instead of with one big bang...