best cup of coffee

devdev

May 14, 2011
I know I won't find a Tim Horton's or Starbucks around here, but does anyone know of somewhere in santo Domingo. To buy a good cup coffee? only reply with an answer not a rude comment, I would appreciate that. Thanks for your help

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Are you looking for espresso or for American coffee? I've never had/seen American coffee in DR [but I'm sure it's in people's homes]

Espresso is served in just about every restaurant, and is quick and easy in the little restaurants in the supermarkets like Nacional, Jumbo, etc., in SD.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I know I won't find a Tim Horton's or Starbucks around here, but does anyone know of somewhere in santo Domingo. To buy a good cup coffee? only reply with an answer not a rude comment, I would appreciate that. Thanks for your help

You can find a store that has nothing to envy or copy from Starbucks, but with real coffee on the menu at Agora mall!

The store is called Cafe Santo Domingo, and pretty much is the first one of the many to come as a chain.

CAFE-STO-DGO.jpg

a0gwubcqai1irw.jpg

A06mvkSCYAAG4_2.jpg

A06dgXnCQAA74-q.jpg

kf55361328j:iphone

media

A06oNs0CQAEWhTv.jpg

A06njGUCAAIzolI.jpg

May 29, 2006
It would be nice to find a place that has Dominican espresso with the comfy chairs, couches and free wi-fi of a Starbucks. Some good pastries/biscotti/cookies would also be a plus.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Try the coffee shop on the first floor of Plaza Internactional, Santiago - it meets all your requirements.

It would be nice to find a place that has Dominican espresso with the comfy chairs, couches and free wi-fi of a Starbucks. Some good pastries/biscotti/cookies would also be a plus.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My house? La Campagna Bakery? Almost any cigar factory?

NOT CAfe Santo Domingo, which while not bad, cannot hold a candle to what comes out of Neiba or Jarabacoa or Sierra Prieto.

Not even close. But then again it (Santo Domingo, well prepared) is SO much better than any of that swill sold at Dunkin or Starbucks or Tim Horton....once tried it makes all else pale...

You want something special: Try putting some freshly grated nutmeg in the coffee beforehand.....that gives the coffee a really authentic taste that very few people (now, after reading this, a lot more) have ever tried or been privileged to experience. You have to get out into the countryside for this...

You want coffee, you see me...I make you an offer you can't refuse.

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

NOT CAfe Santo Domingo, which while not bad, cannot hold a candle to what comes out of Neiba or Jarabacoa or Sierra Prieto.

Not even close. But then again it (Santo Domingo, well prepared) is SO much better than any of that swill sold at Dunkin or Starbucks or Tim Horton....once tried it makes all else pale...

You want something special: Try putting some freshly grated nutmeg in the coffee beforehand.....that gives the coffee a really authentic taste that very few people (now, after reading this, a lot more) have ever tried or been privileged to experience. You have to get out into the countryside for this...

HB

What time should we be there?? :)

Seriously tho, I've heard about the nutmeg before. How much do you use, and am I understanding that you add it to the ground coffee before brewing?

Mr AE tells me his mom used to put it into hot chocolate.

Dec 26, 2011

Seriously tho, I've heard about the nutmeg before. How much do you use, and am I understanding that you add it to the ground coffee before brewing?

You use very little- it goes a long way. And yes, you sprinkle it into the coffee prior to brewing. The same can be done with cinnamon or the two combined is nice too. Not too much though. Just looking for a subtle hint.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

When I make cafe con leche I grate some in my cup.Just a little bit,it's very good.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

HB

Hillbilly, you have only divulged a part of your secret. do you put the nutmeg into the ground coffee? if so, how much nutmeg would you suggest per pound of ground coffee beans?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
When you're on your 3rd cup of coffee with Baileys Irish Cream.................
They're ALL good.........:)

B in Santiago....in Sosua at the moment

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
thanks , guys. i will try it in tomorrow's cup. i presume you mean freshly ground nutmeg, not the stuff in bottles.

Apreton

Sep 26, 2004
Best cup of coffee

Segafredo is not bad but I also like Adrian Tropicano coffee on El Malecon, medio pollo (cortado) is my favorite there.