Hi, I am new here!!!

sunkiss

Aug 30, 2012
Hello everyone! I am very new at all of this and just signed up cause I am thinking of moving to the DR from Canada!!!

sunkiss

Aug 30, 2012
I am not even sure how to go about this, but, I need to start getting my ducks in a row if moving to the DR can actually become a reality...
I need to start looking for a job, first and foremost.
Also, how do I find out about what the interest rates in the banks are? If I move to the Dominican with a substantial amount of savings, what do I do to invest it? i've heard that the interest rates are really good, but I can't seem to find any info anywhere???

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am not even sure how to go about this, but, I need to start getting my ducks in a row if moving to the DR can actually become a reality...
Also, how do I find out about what the interest rates in the banks are? If I move to the Dominican with a substantial amount of savings, what do I do to invest it? i've heard that the interest rates are really good, but I can't seem to find any info anywhere???

Here is how it goes. You will need at least 100k to do this. You bring it down, convert it to peso cds and get a hefty interest rate per month. Do not know how much it is running but over time it has proven to be a good value,.

now you will be losing absolute dollars.. ie when you go to convert your pesos back, you will have discounted your 100k by the rate of exchange.

But the dollar is high now so it is a good time to buy

if you have that kind of money.. then you are safe to come

sunkiss

Aug 30, 2012
Thanks Mountainannie! Do you have any idea how I can find out more info on this from Canada? Or do I have to be in the Dominican and go talk to a bank?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Thanks Mountainannie! Do you have any idea how I can find out more info on this from Canada? Or do I have to be in the Dominican and go talk to a bank?

well we do have Scotia Bank here and I believe that they are affiliated with yours in Canada. There may be some Canadians on the Board who can help you.

Others can help a bit. what you are looking for are certificates of deposit that are available in large denominations but have a fairly short roll over time, say six months to a year. Then you are assured of an income for a year and if you do not like it, you can bail out.

Now note that $1k a month or so.. I think it yields about that.. is not a fortune here and it will cost to get set up. But if you are very clever

when the train to Hogwart;s comes into the staion, you will see it through the pillar

NY2DR

Nov 21, 2009

If I were you I would really think twice about moving here if you still needed to rely on looking for a job in the D.R to survive. But to each his own I'm not trying to rain on any parades it's just an opinion. It seems like one can appreciate & enjoy living in this country more if they're a business owner, financially secure, retired or working a job online from their country. Then again we only live once & you might find a job right away

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
There are parts of DR with substantial French speaking communities. Suits many people from Canada as many Canadians can get by in French.

yapask1

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
There are parts of DR with substantial French speaking communities. Suits many people from Canada as many Canadians can get by in French.

yapask1

UMMMM... I think that the "parts" you're talking about is ONE part ... las Terrenas. And the MANY Canadians that get by in French are those French Canadians from Quebec. Yea.. I guess there are "many" of them, but I don't know what the percentage of Canadians are "French" Canadians. NOT TO MENTION that it's totally irrelevant unless the OP is French Canadian.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012

Hi Sunkiss and welcome aboard. BTW love your handle. So, what areas are you looking at to live in?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Your Money is Welcome.

What kind of job?
What are you good at or skilled in?
Do you need an income or would you be able to live off your CD's?

If I move to the Dominican with a substantial amount of savings...

Who is 'the Dominican'? A female?

A substantial amount?
Hmm, tell me how much it is and I shall tell you how long you'll be here.... :rolleyes:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
LT French

UMMMM... I think that the "parts" you're talking about is ONE part ... las Terrenas. And the MANY Canadians that get by in French are those French Canadians from Quebec. Yea.. I guess there are "many" of them, but I don't know what the percentage of Canadians are "French" Canadians. NOT TO MENTION that it's totally irrelevant unless the OP is French Canadian.

And those French speaking people usually hire Haitians for their needs. So, unless the OP is Haitian the French of LT are not much hope.... :cross-eye

donP

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
well we do have Scotia Bank here and I believe that they are affiliated with yours in Canada. There may be some Canadians on the Board who can help you.

Others can help a bit. what you are looking for are certificates of deposit that are available in large denominations but have a fairly short roll over time, say six months to a year. Then you are assured of an income for a year and if you do not like it, you can bail out.

Now note that $1k a month or so.. I think it yields about that.. is not a fortune here and it will cost to get set up. But if you are very clever

when the train to Hogwart;s comes into the staion, you will see it through the pillar

The Scotia Bank in the D.R. is owned by Scotiabank in Canada but they are separate entities and behave as two different banks. The only connection I am aware of is that the Scotia Bank in the D.R. will issue T5's on earned interest that goes to Canada for taxation on Canadians. We cannot do email transfers but we can use the ATM machines with very little hassle.

sunkiss

Aug 30, 2012
Welcome, sunkiss!

How's your Spanish?

I am completely fluent in English, French, Italian and spanish. I also can get by with the little bit of German and Portugese that I speak....
This is solely why, I believe that finding a job will not be very difficult.

sunkiss

Aug 30, 2012
Hi young senior! I have visited Samana, Punta Cana and Boca Chica and I think I would like to live in Punta Cana as a start... Where abouts are you?