Taking in a lodger.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I wonder what would cover me if I was to take in a lodger, it would be a situation where I rented the house, furnished it and paid all the bills etc, (all contracts were in my name) but allowed a freind to live in a room in the house or separate apartment on the property.
If I was to do this I'd have to have confidence that for whatever reason I could ask them to leave and they must do so and with no claim to any of my furnishings etc.
And if they refused I could have them removed by whatever means, police or what ever is the usual method of evicting unwanted guests.

This is all just a thought that has been put to me, but I understand friendships break and wouldn't want in any way to be obligated to allow them to stay or at worst hand over any right to my furnishings.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Smart?

I wonder what would cover me if I was to take in a lodger, it would be a situation where I rented the house, furnished it and paid all the bills etc, (all contracts were in my name) but allowed a freind to live in a room in the house or separate apartment on the property.

Mr. Smart, IMO it is not a smart idea... :cry:
Why would you want to do that?
How well do you know this friend?

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Contact a lawyer, it can get very technical and confusing. Better to be safe than sorry. Maybe with a rental contract??? Even then, it's not easy to get people to move.

My husband won't even let our caretaker sleep on our property, because he's been told that if we ever sell, it could mean we have to pay him to leave. It isn't even inside our house, it's another building on the property.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The laws here favor the renter. Don't even consider it unless you are working with a good (I don't mean cheap) lawyer and he has drawn up a contract that he assures you will get the renter out.

Lots of horror stories about getting renters out. Can take years.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Pay heed to the advice you're getting. Once she's in there, you will have a tough time getting her out.

I had a friend that went that route. He came home one day and found an empty apartment. They even took the outlets, switches, and even pulled copper wire out of the walls. And if that wasn't enough, they took the mahogany doors, frames, and cabinet doors.

Everything that could be removed(except the windows)

What was wrong with the windows?