Railroad Between Puerto Plata And Santiago?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Chinese investors have offered to build a railway between Puerto Plata and Santiago. It will be a two-lane connection, including some tunnels and the construction of some stations. At a later stage, the line then can be extended to the capital Santo Domingo. Mr. Gao Shoujian, representative of the 'la Oficina de Desarrollo Comercial de la Rep?blica Popular China' believes that this makes Puerto Plata more accessible for future tourists. Gao Shoujian believes that tourism from China will be booming in the near future.[/h]
[h=5][/h] [h=5]The costs for the construction of this railway will be at least 1 billion dollar.[/h]

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If this happens it would save the North Coast. But the key word is "IF". But we can hope.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
they will pay for it themselves?

Who else would pay? Certainly not the DR Government. Maybe they figure they can make money in the long run, and extend it from Santiago to SD.

But in the DR you can believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
this would also include a new mall in pop

that way its the new mall to mall connection!

Manu

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Who else would pay? Certainly not the DR Government. Maybe they figure they can make money in the long run, and extend it from Santiago to SD.

But in the DR you can believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see.

The costs for the construction of this railway will be at least 1 billion dollar.

The IBTIS on that would come to $160,000,000 ($160 million dollars).

Lot's of deluxe SUV's in the future.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Actually it is going to be built with the surplus money left after they finish building the new hopspital by the airport

Bob K

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Lets not forget a train with a food court and 3-D theater..........
Last but not least.............double decker shopping.........

B in Santiago

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
China never does anything for free

Their banks and the Chinese state banks interest rates if you want to borrow money are very low at the moment 1.5 - 3 %. Plus the state owned railway construction company has surplus labor at the moment.

It would be great if it happened - DR has made a mistake building roads not railways.

Europe is building new railways and not roads as it seeks to reduce energy consumption. China is extending its network.

China Railway Engineering Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yapask1

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Actually it is going to be built with the surplus money left after they finish building the new hopspital by the airport

Bob K

That is funny, but somebody already has that extra money.

Their banks and the Chinese state banks interest rates if you want to borrow money are very low at the moment 1.5 - 3 %. Plus the state owned railway construction company has surplus labor at the moment.

It would be great if it happened - DR has made a mistake building roads not railways.

Europe is building new railways and not roads as it seeks to reduce energy consumption. China is extending its network.

China Railway Engineering Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yapask1

Maybe we could get some good Chinese restaurants as a result.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Years ago I read an historical report from a passenger tripping to Sgo from PoP on the sugar railroad which was later torn up.
Artifacts of that RR are all over the coast, but I wonder how much of a spur to (or near) Sgo was true. Anybody know?

The RR was built after the Treaty of Paris when American capital flooded the country, and the Chinese and Irish that built the U.S. railroads were brought in to build one between the sugar lands and the ports (ditto Cuba). Workers that stayed are responsible for the lovely tilt to the eyes of some of the north's monta?eras.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
The RR was built after the Treaty of Paris when American capital flooded the country, and the Chinese and Irish that built the U.S. railroads were brought in to build one between the sugar lands and the ports (ditto Cuba). Workers that stayed are responsible for the lovely tilt to the eyes of some of the north's monta?eras.

I can vouch for the Cuban ones to be still in operation and have seen the tracks in the south of the DR. Lots of tracks seem to be still in use.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ken, i think the picture you meant to post was this:
1zg83kz.jpg

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
China never does anything for free

Well nobody does anything for free. How can anyone pay to do anything if they dont get paid for their work? Private rail will get done faster, cost less and run better than any rail sponsored by the Govt. Let the Chinese build it and when the market crashes in China some rich families in the DR will buy it jack the fares through the roof and stop maintaining it.
I would be willing to bet you will get a better Railroad if the Chinese run it

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
What i mean is that there is a hidden cost with the chinese. They have been spreading their influence throughout the world, particularly in Africa, building public structures but for strong political influence in the countries they have been involved in.
What their interest in the DR is i dont know, but there will be one....gold maybe??

Anyway, that aside, i would love to see railways here.