What is the real advantage to become a resident?

giga

Feb 11, 2012
Hi All,

I am planning in the near future to move permanently to the DR;

I was wondering what is the real advantage of becoming a permanent resident versus just stay
in the country and exit paying exit tax and re enter

It appears that people with no visa can still rent, buy a house, sell, buy bank CDs...etc

So why becoming a resident if one can do pretty much the same things as a visa holder?

Do you advice to obtain Residency visa anyway if I want to stay in DR long term?

Thank you

bye ;-)

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Hi All,

I was wondering what is the real advantage of becoming a permanent resident versus just stay

It appears that people with no visa can still rent, buy a house, sell, buy bank CDs...etc

So why becoming a resident if one can do pretty much the same things as a visa holder?

Do you advice to obtain Residency visa anyway if I want to stay in DR long term?

Thank you

bye ;-)

In the past I would say, not a huge advantage as you stated above. As of the past couple months I believe things have/will change considerably on this topic, therefore probably a good idea. Some say you have to start the process from abroad now- I do not know but before asking too much here please do a search of threads as there are countless new ones on this exact topic, especially in the legal section. Good luck!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hi All,

Thank you

Yes, as the previous responder indicated, in the past it didn't seem to make much difference. The government has talked for years about this and may now being doing something. There have been a lot of threads on this lately, but nobody knows anything for sure. And so far the only people talking about is are the ones on DR1. In other words, the government has not published anything to the world to let people know there may be some changes.

For now, the best thing is to assume there are no changes. So if you were asking about coming for a couple of months, I would say come, enjoy, and don't worry about it.

But you are talking about making a permanent move and living here full time for an indefinite period.. For you, given those circumstances, i would strongly recommend getting residency so you are legal come what may in the future. It is likely easier and cheaper to get residency now than it may be in the future.

Dec 26, 2011
They want you to feel welcome, loved and at home in their country.

They desperately want to be taken seriously as a sovereign nation.

They want and need your money.

They're trying to work this all out because they don't want to lose you. They want to make this work.

Relationships are hard. :)

Last edited:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Well, having a cedula is a huge plus if you want to live permanently. Banks are starting to make it difficult to open even a savings account if you don't have one.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The reasons it was worth it before were so I could drive legally, banks are easier to deal with (I've never understood but have always been a bit cautious about placing money where I am not legally supposed to be, I know it isnt unusual to have accounts abroad, but look where your dealing with). Everything in the form of contract is easier, infact life is just easier if you can go by the rules of the country you live in, try to stand out and you will just make headaches for yourself.
i think the way it is, it is not what are the benefits of being resident, (I think they are still going to leave back doors open for those who want to play with the system), I think it is more likely the question of how much more difficult is your life going to become because you are not a resident.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The driving, the auto insurance, banking - everything is simplified (oh, I shouldn't say that) - easier w/ the local documentation.

Also, depending on your nationality, you can forfeit your native residency - leave the country - and adopt RD as your residence country, keeping your passport/nationality.
That works for some.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have lived and worked here for about 20 years.
I never saw the need to get my "Residencia".
I do now.
I will soon begine the process,whatever that "precess" is now.
One less thing for me to worry about.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

giga

Feb 11, 2012
nice Criss ;-) makes me feel better,

If you dont mind me asking, you have a business on your own or are you an employee?

I do now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I do now.

Really ......... an interloper all these years..... you don't say.

Let me know if need a reference letter from me.:bunny:

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
There are two other reasons I can think of :One - airlines are increasingly requiring return tickets or residencies so to avoid hasssle at airports and the extra costs ( ie stranded somewhere) ; Second - being non - resident in your home country for Tax purposes can be a real advantage. (this of course does not apply to US citizens as they are taxed on their worldwide income but a residency will help with those overseas exemptions)
I think most of the other reasons - driving licences, legal documents etc that have been mentioned above are also good reasons but I think the most compelling for those who want to "RESIDE" in the DR on a more or less permanent basis is that it is getting more difficult and unpredictable to get residency status in DR - this is perhaps the third reason !

Just my views

Olly

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I did the residency ages ago because I knew , when you procrastinate usually it costs ,I had to fly back from southeast ASia to renew because it expired while I was away and THANK God , I just happened to check dr1 and find out what new regulation just popped out of the wood work about renewing by aug 7 or you had to start from the beginning your residency . I was way for 4 months so I suppose it did not just pop up .my point is I cut my trip short , grgrgr, almost said screw it, however came back renewed and now don't have to go through the new Bul.s I agree with above post its going to get more expensive and more Grief

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Well, having a cedula is a huge plus if you want to live permanently. Banks are starting to make it difficult to open even a savings account if you don't have one.

I disagree, I have had an account for 3 yeras no cedula-only passport, I received residency 6 months ago and opened another USD account and when handed them my cedula, after a couple minutes they handed it back and asked for my passport- I asked why they didnt enter or need my cedula- answer: your cedula is still not in the system so it has no value to us... I tried this with Claro as well for contract, same answer.. I asked my lawyer whats up and I personally went through the process in getting it at the correct authority so its not fake, just that the system takes forever to update..It will be expired before it is in the system... Like i said, means squat!!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I disagree, I have had an account for 3 yeras no cedula-only passport, I received residency 6 months ago and opened another USD account and when handed them my cedula, after a couple minutes they handed it back and asked for my passport- I asked why they didnt enter or need my cedula- answer: your cedula is still not in the system so it has no value to us... I tried this with Claro as well for contract, same answer.. I asked my lawyer whats up and I personally went through the process in getting it at the correct authority so its not fake, just that the system takes forever to update..It will be expired before it is in the system... Like i said, means squat!!

Oh but wait!!!! As pick says, the DR is soon to become a cashless electronic society... Gilligan and the skipper had the same plan for their island!

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
I'm working for a school and getting paid. I don't have residency. They don't seem to be concerned about it.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Like at Home?

Today I was talking to an Italian and asked him when his residencia would come up for renewal.
He smiled and said that he never saw the need for one.
He has been living here for 12 years, married a Dominican, owns a house, works.

I envy the Italians.
They know so much about bribing and corruption.... :bunny:

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Sure, you're right.
I opened my account on the way to the lawyer's office to begin my application..... big rigamarol but what did i know?

A cedula can be the 'Open Sesame' key..... much easier...like the old TV commercial
"Try It - You'll Like It"

And, yes again, it may take some time to get entered.
But remember, its you national identity card - a serious thing to have

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Question can someone purchase a vehicle without residencia (i.e. cedula)? Must the purchase be in full cash or can you finance without residencia? Just a general question out of curiousity.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Financing w/o a cedula might be hard..... cash buying can be done but the insurance part gets dicey... read tough to impossible to collect on