Say It Aint So....

B

Bob Ridenour

After visiting the DR, reading every scrap of material I could about it, finding out about part time work, and doing the preliminaries on buying a place to live......I now hear that I have to pay $RD 500,000 each for me and my gal to live there. Somebody please cheer me up and say it aint so. Who the heck has that kind of money. Do they want cash or is the ownership of real estate, automobile, etc. enough collateral?? I asked before about shipping my Harley. Any Harley rider knows that our bikes are like children to us, but I would sell and buy another one there if I had to. Not my first choice but, if I have to, is there a real Harley Dealer in Santo Dominingo, and if so, does anyone know if they have an email address. You guys are great help, keep up the good work, see ya soon!

A

azb

Re: take a deep breath and relax!

I have asked my lawyer and I was assured that the 500,000 applies to a worker who is sponsered by a company to work in DR and who wants to obtain a residency. I am not too sure about this but I am sure that there are ways around this if you use a lawyer. No one that I know has deposited 500,000 pesos. The lawyers know how to bypass this 500,000 issue. I have done my residency about 2 yrs ago and I didn't have to deposit a penny. But I hear that this law is in effect now. But don't worry, no one here that I know of who has deposited a single peso in a bank to get their residency. Get a lawyer, a reputed one. If you need help, i would refer you one lawyer in pto pta who had done my temporary residency in less than 3 months. The permanent residency, i had done it on my own. Not so difficult process (the permanent part).
Yes, i think there is a harley dealership in santo domingo but I do not have their address or a phone number.
Don't worry man, this is dominican republic. There are always ways around every hurdle.
take a deep breath and don't listen to people who only try to scare you. I have been living here for 3 years and I tell you this, nothing is impossible in DR and everything gets done if you pay the right person. The only person who has ever ripped me off was a foreigner....not a dominican.
have a nice day.

A

Andy

AZB,
You just met someone who has had to meet the $500,000rd financial requirement. In fact, two people: my wife and I, that's a million pesos net worth between us. In fact we own two DR corporations valued well in excess of the requirement but still have to prove financial responsibility and net worth. She's been here 15 years and I've been here 5 years. Length of time in the DR has nothing to do with it. Up until recently, a foreigner could own and operate a DR corporation without having a residency. That was always a "gray area" in the law. But things have changed and that is why we are now spending a considerable sum to obtain ours.
I also know other people who are going through the same thing and are scrambling to show a personal net worth of at least that amount either in holdings or on deposit in the DR.
To ask a lawyer to falsify documents is just asking for trouble for both you and the lawyer. You may get away with it, but then what if you don't and are asked to depart after you've spent all your money to settle here?
The best advice you can give is to a prospective immigrant is to deal only through an attorney qualified and well-experienced in the residency process.

A

Anny Mosity

Forget it! There are tens of thousands of foreigners living here for many years on a tourist card. The residencia is for suckers.
If you go through all the BS and then want to bring your Harley in duty free, they will rip you off at customs anyway. Trust me.

Come here on a tourist visa, invest zero, don't buy property or a business. Have as much as you need transferred here from the US every month and enjoy youtself. No one will ever ask you to show your residencia. Only if you have assets here is there any percentage in deporting you.

J

Joachim

I have been saying the same thing on this board for a long time. I guess people like to do things the hard way.

A

Andy

Hard way or not, a German national was deported from here last week for working and doing business without a residency permit. The times, they are a changin'.

A

Anny Mosity

One in 10,000!

No one has ever been deported from Puerto Plata area that I know of for just being here more than 90 days. I thought the German in Samana had a business and I am sure that he made some local enemies or was wanted in Germany.

B

Bob Ridenour

I don't want to do things the hard way. I just want to buy property because I don't believe in throwing my money away in rent. I would also like to buy commercial papers and keep my money in a dominican bank. I don't owe the U.S. anything but I don't want Uncle Sam to have access to my bank account for any reason while I'm not living there. I would prefer to show I have the assests if that's what it takes, rather than look over my shoulder the rest of my life. I'm going to DR to relax and beat the rat race, and I won't be able to do that if I have to worry every day about being deported.

A

azb

Listen up everyone, just called a lawyer!

I have just spoken to my imigration lawyer and I was told the following: if you can get a police report (buena conducta)from your country of origin stating that a decent civilian without any cases pending against you, then the 500,000 peso depisit will be waived. She will take your financial resdponsiblity. To get more information on this issue, you must call her directly in puerto plata. Dra. Graciela fermen tele: 586-9534.
She had done my residency (2yrs ago) in 3 months and she is still doing it for eligible foreigners without the 500,000 requirement. She is a very well-connected competent lawyer who knows many people in the immigration department. A seriously powerful woman who knows every legal loop-hole in the system. All work is 100% legal and she will fulfill her commitments. Price is 1000 US dollars and you don't pay a penny more afterwards. She took me to santo domingo twice and paid for all the fees and even bought me a lunch in an expensive restaurant.
So once again, don't worry and follow my advise.
Of-course there are lawyers who stick to the books and possess no connections in the immigration dept., so they have to fulfill every requirement like religion.
Have a nice day.
P.S. I personally know of foreigners who were simply picked up from their businesses and from streets and were deported. So don't listen to the people who tell you that nothing will happen to you if you live like a tourist; just remember, these people will not help you in times of trouble.

A

Anny Mosity

Apparently you don't believe me. No need to look over your shoulder, you will NOT be deported. You do not need a residencia to own property or invest in commercial paper.

There is no point in buying property because you then have a highly illiquid investment. That is if the title wasn't forged or is missing which is often the case. There is no MLS here. The best argument is that the rental/purchase ratio favours renting and investing the money. The only reason to buy residential property in the DR at this time is an ego trip.

Commercial paper has dropped 5% so the interest rates are less exciting. Remember your money will be in pesos and subject to wild inflation and devaluation if it goes the route of almost every other latin currency over time. Twenty odd years ago one peso was equal to one US dollar. If you had then invested $100,000 US at 20% and lived off the interest, your investment would now be worth about US$ 6,000. High interest equals high risk.

I have said the above to hundreds of new arrivals here. Almost none of them listened. Almost all of them have left the DR poorer, sadder and wiser. Go ahead, have fun and get your residencia. The first one is the temporary. By the time you get it you will have to start on your "Definitiva" jokingly called the permanent residencia. It will have to be renewed every two years. You will know the route to Santo Domingo like your hand.
The lawyers and the public servants will love you.

Be carefull of investment advice. I have nothing to sell you so I don't have to tell you how great a place this is to invest and perpetuate the myth.

J

Joachim

I feel the same way as you do. I have repeatedly stated on this board the best way to enjoy the DR hassle free is leave your invested money outside the country draw on what you need, dont bother driving(for the special occasion with your Dominican sweetheart treat her to a cab ride to the capital) otherwise use public transport, rent instead of buy, there are always Dominicans willing to rent to foreigners because most times they will get paid without any hassle.

Dont bother with immigration. High interest rates equals high risk, the basic premise of investment.

I went this route for 2.5 years and until my father became ill in Canada, never had a problem. Forget opening a business and making small amounts of money. It is all just not worth the hassle.

A

azb

The process of residencia is a bit pain in the a-- but i believe, in your case, its worth it.
Like I always say: if you are living a lifestyle of a tourist or of a typical gringo ex: living in a beach community (sosua, puerto plata, boca chica etc), drinking rum and coke and looking for a new chica everyday, than stay the way you are and forget about doing the resdidencia. Most likely no one will bother you and probably won't even notice you. but, on the other hand, if you are going to buy property and probably willing to do business here then you have alot to lose if you get into legal troubles.
Times are changing in DR and most govt. office are being computerized. They are now cracking down on illegal foreigners who have businesses and other investments in DR. Its always a good idea to get on the right side of the law to protect yourself and your investment.
No one will deport a beach bum who lives on cuba libre and chicas all day but a foreigner who has come here to spend the rest of his life in DR should get his papers straightened out. I know of people (personally) who have been deported from DR.

A

Anny Mosity

Re: Listen up everyone, just called a lawyer!

When and where were these people deported? Names please. I will check it out.

I have been coming here for 25 years and living here for 12 and have NEVER been able to verify that anyone was deported for overstaying their tourist visa. Most of the foreigners that I know who were deported had their permanent residencia but broke some serious laws here or were wanted in Germany, Austria or the USA. Almost all the deportees are back here. It isn't a permanent thing.

You say that they were picked up at their place of business. I don't recommend having a place of business here. You are then a target with or without residence. Still, I can take you around Puerto Plata and introduce you to many people who have worked here, owned businesses here for many years and only have a tattered old tourist card.

Is the US$1,000 for the temporary or the definitiva or both?

J

Joachim

I co-owned a bar in Charamicos called La Paloma. My partner now deceased was married to a Dominican woman, whos father owned the movie theater, was connected at the time to Balaguer. His mother still lives there for more than 15 years. Never did we ever have a problem.

I like to live hassle free, there are enough daily headaches in the DR that I dont need to complicate my life by frustrating myself seeking residency. No thanks, if I ever go back, I will do just like I said, live off my interest from abroad, live in a local Dominican area, respect the locals, give a little to the local people, never need to buy property, and live hassle free as much as possible.

A

azb

I agree, the best way to enjoy DR is to do nothing at all. No business and no investment. If you have the luxury to live like that then there is no better way. However, there are some people who don't have enough investment in their country of origin which would support their lifestyle in DR, without working. I know many people who live in puerto plata and simply live on their social security checks or from rents from homes that they own in USA or in canada.
Yes, its true that you can live in DR without residencia for many years and no one will bother you. If you live in sosua, boca chica or near the beach in puerto plata than I guess you are there for the similar reason as many other ex-pats are there for. You may not see much of a difference in the lifestyle as you have seen a few years back.
On the other hand, if you live in santiago or santo domingo, then you would notice big changes taking place in the infrastructure of this country. Country is modernizing at a fast rate. Every industry and govt. office is being computerized. The whole system is geting organized at a very fast rate. Police is busting people for not having seatbelts and handing out tickets etc. I hate to see what this country would look like 5years from now.
At the moment, the gov't has been threatened by the explosive population of illegal dominicans who are pouring into this country at an alarming rate. i am sure the gov't would take action against them and will try to deport them in sometimes soon. However, they can't just deport illegal haitains alone or they would be labelled as racist and etc so they would deport white illegal aliens as well. This has happened before and will happen again.
young professional Dominicans are also organizing themselves at an amazing rate and they do not seem to care for the illegal aliens doing business in their soil. They can and would take actions against you if they don't like you. If you do not have legal papers to stay and operate business in this country then you could fall in danger.
My advise, protect yourself and don't wait for the moment to arrive when you would have to scramble to get legal help. It maybe too late to do anything at that time. So be prepared and get your residencia.

J

Joachim

You can always leave after 90 days, go to Haiti for the day then come back.

The people who dont have the luxury of foreign investments should not go to the DR.

O

Onions and carrots

Do you look Dominican? Can you blend in with the locals? Can you speak the Dominican slang and dialect of Spanish. If you answered no to all, then don't waste your time with any residency crap.
It won't help you at all. Listen to the guys saying not to invest, buy property etc. Seasoned Dominican Yorks have lost millions in businesses that have gone belly up. My own grandfather has coffee warehoused for over 2 years cause of depressed prices. You think the gov't cares with pro-farmer Hipo. Well they don't and gramps surviving cause of his connections in Banco Agricola.
This is a 3rd World place and its who you know that counts. Residencia and all that legal garbage means nothing if someone knows someone in high places who has a distaste for you.People are envious of foreigners who come down here flaunting their goods. So unless you have a General as a friend in times of trouble stay out of business and politics.
Stick to your tourist card, girls and bohemian livin. The locals won't even notice you.
Remember be invisible.

B

Bob Ridenour

Anny Mosity seems to animosity towards everyone. Sorry, but unless you're an official of the DR government I have no choice but to not believe you. Any more than you would believe me if I told you the IRS was never going to audit you just because I'm a U.S. Citizen. I think your comment about owning real estate and the ego trip reference must mean that A: you can't afford a home or B: you didn't do your research and was burned at one time. You investment advice for renting instead of buying would not be sound advice in any economy that I know of. I am not buying for and ego trip, only to have a permanent place to live.Your comparison of 1 to 1 peso valuation holds no water since that is not the case today. Your opinions are welcome, but you should use some sort of basis for your opinion if you are going to dole out advice.

B

Bob Ridenour

Is there anyone on this board who actually likes living in the DR. If it's so much hassle, you have to be "invisible", bribe everyone you see, know someone in high places, etc. etc. etc, then why the hell are you all living there? I think it is my fault for asking advice on this board. I should probably seek help when I get there from people who are out enjoying life instead being stuck behind their keyboard in Canada, N.Y., or wherever you people are responding from.

J

Joachim

Well said, but I never flaunt my goods, as a matter of fact I try to be as humble as possible. You are right there are many who are envious of foreigners. As I have said before, they should get their own act together, jealousy does not solve anything.

Business at the best of times can be very precarious, through in a different language(dialect)look ect. only complicates the process.

By the way, here in Toronto, we need some seriously good coffee, maybe gramps should try to unload it here. Starbucks really sucks.