Learning Spanish in Sosua

GrandmaA

Apr 15, 2011
Hi again ....I haven't posted in over a year but do like to read new posts to keep up with what's happening in the Dominican Republic. :squareeye I have visited Sosua/ Cabarete area for the last few years ...so far only staying in all-inclusive resorts.....Casa Marina / Viva Tangerine. I'm ready for something different.......hoping to stay in an apartment or ? where I can shop and cook for myself and perhaps mingle with the locals more. I really want to learn to speak and write Spanish as well. I have taken a few evening courses in the local high schools here but once a week for an hour isn't really getting me too far! While in Sosua on holidays I have also taken a few lessons at the Spanish Center on Hispaniola St. which were great . However I am hoping for something where I would be more integrated with the people forcing me to pick-up on the language. I am hoping maybe some of you can give me some ideas.....I am not looking for a luxury holiday but a learning experience with the bonus of a great atmosphere! I am certainly not a "rich Canadian tourist" ....I will fly to Puerto Plata using up airmiles:cheeky:so I am looking for a modest but safe place to stay hopefully close to the central area of Sosua....near stores etc. I also hope to take a few Spanish lessons at the Spanish Center again but at 10.00 /hour I will need to learn a lot on my own as well. I hope to come in the end of November and stay for approximately one month.
I am in my late 50's and travelling solo as my husband has to stay back and make the dinero!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ? Gracias para tu ayuda!

GrandmaA

Apr 15, 2011
Does anyone know the place "Socorro Gell" on Calle Duarte? It seems to be quite central .

GrandmaA

Apr 15, 2011
More questions......Does anyone know who built the new school in "Villa Liberacion". I had heard it was Canadians. Does anyone have any info that might lead to me contacting them with the possiblity of volunteering there? Or any other volunteer positions in Sosua at a school or ? I'm thinking this might be a way to help and learn the language at the same time!