Another super Mall for Santiago!!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
With 3 times the size of the across the street Bella Terra Mall with a Hotel onsite...
New Mall area in RED:

538757_527046340645669_301463033_n.jpg

Bella Terra Mall across in Yellow, Plaza Internacional in Lime Green to the right...

423686_527047290645574_947127447_n.jpg

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Great! How many orphans can it house? Feed? Teach? Provide medical services?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

You're welcome to invest into each one of those in the DR, that's if you really mean it!

Or... You can go to Venezuela where Chavez is housing homeless people, teaching and providing (some sort of) medical service in a mega Mall from Sambil it "nationalized" as it was to open without paying the owners one cent for it.

It looks marvelous today! The whole are is just peppered with flowers and beautiful surroundings! Lots of jobs he created there to (more than the Mall itself was to create just weeks into the opening day).

The whole area has become very, very safe now!

You see, private investors invest their money in a free economy as they want. Or correct me if I'm wrong, but when they built the Green Acres Mall in Long Island, how many orphans did they house there? How many did the feed? Teach? Provide medical services for?

Ah! Maybe you are from the UK? Then when the just opened the new monster (oops! sorry!) I meant mall in downtown London, how many orphans did they house there? How many did the feed? Teach? Provide medical services for?

Or wait! Maybe you come from planet XYZ? Ah! That should be it! Since the logic behind the above post, seems to indicate you left in a hurry to the planet earth and left your grey matter in the floating bed you were in cryogenic sleep...

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You're welcome to invest into each one of those in the DR, that's if you really mean it!

Or... You can go to Venezuela where Chavez is housing homeless people, teaching and providing (some sort of) medical service in a mega Mall from Sambil it "nationalized" as it was to open without paying the owners one cent for it.

It looks marvelous today! The whole are is just peppered with flowers and beautiful surroundings! Lots of jobs he created there to (more than the Mall itself was to create just weeks into the opening day).

The whole area has become very, very safe now!

You see, private investors invest their money in a free economy as they want. Or correct me if I'm wrong, but when they built the Green Acres Mall in Long Island, how many orphans did they house there? How many did the feed? Teach? Provide medical services for?

Ah! Maybe you are from the UK? Then when the just opened the new monster (oops! sorry!) I meant mall in downtown London, how many orphans did they house there? How many did the feed? Teach? Provide medical services for?

Or wait! Maybe you come from planet XYZ? Ah! That should be it! Since the logic behind the above post, seems to indicate you left in a hurry to the planet earth and left your grey matter in the floating bed you were in cryogenic sleep...

OK.... HE made this personal.

LOOK DUMB ****. you are the MOST out of touch and UNknowing person concerning the Dominican Republic that I have ever met. I AM INVESTING AND DOING SOMETHING FOR THOSE THAT NEED IT.... AND IT'S NOT THE FRICKIN MALLS.

Sorry. Thank you.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Stay tuned!

At the rate they are building malls, pretty soon everyone will have their own.

PS:

I went to pay my health insurance last week at Bella Terra Mall,
... it was around 1pm on a Monday and the mall was STILL empty.............................

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

Is the DR government going to build the mall? If not, why the private company that wants to build the mall with its own money have to house, feed, teach and provide medical services to the orphans :confused:

Has the DR turn into another Cuba or Venezuela!!!!!

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
HOOOORRRAAAYYYY I love the mall. I was stressed out that my chica might get bored and not want to walk around ailmlessly and **** away my money unless we had a new mall to walk around.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Zero orphans, but thousands of people that need a new stream of income will get just that, preventing thousands of potential orphans from becoming orphans!

Take Sambil in Santo Domingo as an example. Almost 10,000 people will have a job because of them.

I have never seen any data on the number of orphans that are currently "housed, fed, taught and being provided medical services," but it probably is nowhere near 10,000. If all the people that many of the naysayers here claim to have helped, probably don't even amount to half of that or even a quarter of that. And this is the effect of just one investment, think of the big picture if you will.

That's the irony of it all.

All of these hated malls, attractions, hotels, highways, Metros, hypermarkets, restaurants, etc; are helping way more people than all those organizations that some people here love so much, and more people than all expats are even able to help.

Plus, the help people get via jobs is much better, since they are providing for themselves rather than having someone do it for them. :sleep:

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
For a country that cannot provide decent public education, health care and even sanitary living conditions for its citizens where on earth do they get the money for all this construction?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
So, they are going to build another mall, which will house a whole bunch of empty storefronts, an MC, Pizzahut, Wendys, and all the other restaurants you find in every bloddy mall here.

If it is located near a school or university, it will fill up at noon with a couple of hundred screaming kids who want to eat the junkfood, and then it will die again.

Mind you, Pichardo, I get the point as to where building the mall will provide jobs, for a short time. And yes, that is positive. I also get the point that private investors could not care less about the orphans, etc... as they do not bring in any money.

Then again, the malls you mentioned in the UK, and the US, they bring return on investment through rent. Empty storefronts here only cost the investor, so there must be another reason behind building it.

If on the other hand they would invest in social housing, with affordable rents, and in a safe area, they would get return on investment. Hell, I would even throw in a decent school, with decently paid teachers, because, think about it. Educated people living in my social housing project, will get better jobs, be able to afford a higher rent, and will be able to buy stuff at the tiny little shopping mall on the premises, but with stores with goods people need and can afford. Hell, maybe some of the kids who went to school thanks to them, would even rent a storefront from them...

Mind you, I am dreaming, as this mall is not about making money, it is about laundering money. Something else entirely.

BelgianK

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The last I remembered the government and private sector are separate entities and that the private sector was not under liability to spend their money according to others wishes.

Furthermore, this type of development is really what the DR needs. Finally, I expect some that complain about the DR progressing do so because it challenges their prejudices of Dominicans

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
How many times per month do you and your family actually go to one of those malls, and actually buy stuff there?

And I am not talking about getting a burger or watching a movie.

BelgianK

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
How many times per month do you and your family actually go to one of those malls, and actually buy stuff there?

And I am not talking about getting a burger or watching a movie.

BelgianK

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Zero orphans, but thousands of people that need a new stream of income will get just that, preventing thousands of potential orphans from becoming orphans!

Take Sambil in Santo Domingo as an example. Almost 10,000 people will have a job because of them.

I have never seen any data on the number of orphans that are currently "housed, fed, taught and being provided medical services," but it probably is nowhere near 10,000. If all the people that many of the naysayers here claim to have helped, probably don't even amount to half of that or even a quarter of that. And this is the effect of just one investment, think of the big picture if you will.

That's the irony of it all.

All of these hated malls, attractions, hotels, highways, Metros, hypermarkets, restaurants, etc; are helping way more people than all those organizations that some people here love so much, and more people than all expats are even able to help.

Plus, the help people get via jobs is much better, since they are providing for themselves rather than having someone do it for them. :sleep:

No, each activity has its own external costs and benefits. London has very few shopping malls for its population and only one elevated road, the M4 reaching into central London.

Shopping malls with hypermarkets may destroy more jobs than they create. Small shops, markets, tradespeople, local manufacturers etc. etc. can loose jobs. Malls and Hypermarkets in their adverts promote expensive imported goods again lowering jobs in local agricultural production etc. Highways to the malls are very expensive and imports of cars and oil are made more attractive. Time is wasted in traffic jams - event for those people who choose not to travel some miles to do their shopping in a mall. Entrepreneurs
find it difficult to sell to large multinationals who have no incentive to buy local whereas its easier to sell to small shops and market stalls. So the entrepreneurs dont create so many jobs. Malls cause governments and others to invest in polluting power stations to feed greedy malls. Some mall owners and their clients who rent have deep pockets and force local businesses to close by undercutting for a while then when this accomplished prices are forced up.

Some malls may be built by millionaires - others are built by people with access to moneys saved by people for their pensions - so if too many malls are built and they become dead it very many little people who suffer.

Most places government planners take into account externalities and are sensible in limiting malls/urban roads/car parks in cities etc. etc.

The need in the DR is lower cost housing not malls and if unsocial investment such as malls is limited funds find their way into worthwhile projects.

yapask1

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The need in the DR is lower cost housing not malls and if unsocial investment such as malls is limited funds find their way into worthwhile projects.

yapask1

No offense buddy but that's the chicken before the egg.

People can't afford to buy homes unless they have sufficient money. This country needs all the commercial development it can get. Economics 101.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The DR must be the mall capital of the caribbean!! Super centers/big box are the way in North America now, what are they going to do with all these malls once the DR starts to catches up?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The DR must be the mall capital of the caribbean!! Super centers/big box are the way in North America now, what are they going to do with all these malls once the DR starts to catches up?

That is true. In the DR, I have been to a shopping mall one time in 10 years and that was to have a pizza, but I go to Price Smart on a regular basis. I have never been to a mall here to see a movie and never purchased anything in a shopping mall in the DR. The DR is well behind on the big box store concept, La Sirena being the closest thing, and even further behind on internet shopping. It would take a functional mail system for an internet based method to work, so the complete lack of a mail system currently protects the shopping malls.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The last I remembered the government and private sector are separate entities and that the private sector was not under liability to spend their money according to others wishes.

Furthermore, this type of development is really what the DR needs. Finally, I expect some that complain about the DR progressing do so because it challenges their prejudices of Dominicans

no, Chip. this kind of development is not what the country needs. it has far too many of them, already. what it needs is education, sanitation, a health care system that works, electricity delivery that is not reminiscent of the 19th century, and other things. not one more concrete colossus. secondly, building malls is not progress. progress is when people can read, write, and count above 5.