Decisions, decisions ... Car travel options from Santiago to Puerto Plata

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
Decisions, decisions ... Hotel & Car travel options from Santiago to Puerto Plata

I paid my bfs father $800 pesos for a ride from Santiago to the beach at Costambar, Puerto Plata. Is that a decent price? Is that beach the closest to Santiago? Are there any hotels there? I don't think there are any resorts there or even vacation apartments (that rent for a few days)?

I'm planning on another trip, cheaper & without his fam :p, so I'd like to know how long does it take for Bus Carribe to get to Puerto Plata resort area from Santiago? It does additional stops?. Any other options on how to get there?

Also, I read here on DR1 that it cost $100 US for a taxi ride from POP to the resort areas. Is it that much?. If so, I may have to arrive at STI airport, then travel to resort.

Looking for a hotel, I found a site for a studio-like apartment, cheaper but not inclusive; has a restaurant for breakfast but not sure if it's included; a few blocks from the beach. I don't mind walking, but would like to know how much is groceries or restaurant as opposed to staying at the all inclusive resort.. Would it be worth it. Has anyone stayed in these types of rented apartments with kitchen included?

Decisions, decisions ...

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You got what you paid for. The beach at Costambar is probably the worst of the North Shore beaches. But at that price he did not even make gasoline money.

I will allow the denizens of the North Coast community comment on your options for your next trip. Obvious suggestions include Playa Dorada, Sos?a, Cabarete, which are all within easy reach of Santiago.

The buses do not make stops along the way, and the trips (Metro or Caribe Tours) take about 1 1/2 hours or so, depending mostly on traffic conditions.

Enjoy your stay.

HB

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Paintedbird,

Are you friends of Dorothy? (you mentioned something in another post about "gayfriendly.") If so, may i reccomend Cabarete on the north coast. Not only are there friends of Dorothy hanging out at a few cafes/bars on the beach, but the place is a thousand times more open-minded and gay friendly than anywhere else on the island.

Go to Cabarete and check out Lax, Ojo, and few other places along the beach. No, i'm not close friends with Dorothy, but i know her well, and a lot of my friends hang out with her and dress her up. I probably know more about Dorothy than anyone else on this forum.

If you got any questions about Cabarete, Dorothy--where she hangs out, where she eats, and what she likes to wear...just let me know.

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Paintedbird,

Also, you should look into flying into Puerto Plata airport...that way you're only 15 minutes away from Cabarete...if you choose to go there.

Frank

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
To save the odd peso you could get a guagua from Santiago to Navarette - around 50 pesos, and then a publico - shared taxi - to POP which will let you off at Costambar entrance. That will cost 100 pesos, being sure not to sit on handbrake. If you want to go on to Sosua that is another 45 pesos in another publico. There is also a bus which is less squished and 120 pesos from Navarette to POP.

Matilda

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
You got what you paid for. The beach at Costambar is probably the worst of the North Shore beaches. But at that price he did not even make gasoline money.

I will allow the denizens of the North Coast community comment on your options for your next trip. Obvious suggestions include Playa Dorada, Sos?a, Cabarete, which are all within easy reach of Santiago.

The buses do not make stops along the way, and the trips (Metro or Caribe Tours) take about 1 1/2 hours or so, depending mostly on traffic conditions.

Enjoy your stay.

HB

Actually, that beach wasn't that bad, I know I mentioned in another post about the sand with pebbles & broken shells. What I like about this beach was that it was non tourist, more of a local beach.

OK
Thanks

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
Paintedbird,

Are you friends of Dorothy? (you mentioned something in another post about "gayfriendly.") If so, may i reccomend Cabarete on the north coast. Not only are there friends of Dorothy hanging out at a few cafes/bars on the beach, but the place is a thousand times more open-minded and gay friendly than anywhere else on the island.

Go to Cabarete and check out Lax, Ojo, and few other places along the beach. No, i'm not close friends with Dorothy, but i know her well, and a lot of my friends hang out with her and dress her up. I probably know more about Dorothy than anyone else on this forum.

If you got any questions about Cabarete, Dorothy--where she hangs out, where she eats, and what she likes to wear...just let me know.

Frank

Nope & No. I don't know her & never heard of her. I'm not into that scene. Nothing wrong with that ... I mentioned in another post that because the OP asked of any other beaches ppl here traveled to that are open to his lifestyle. I'm sure he doesn't want to go to a place where he won't feel welcomed... But then again moneyy talks!!!

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
To save the odd peso you could get a guagua from Santiago to Navarette - around 50 pesos, and then a publico - shared taxi - to POP which will let you off at Costambar entrance. That will cost 100 pesos, being sure not to sit on handbrake. If you want to go on to Sosua that is another 45 pesos in another publico. There is also a bus which is less squished and 120 pesos from Navarette to POP.

Matilda

Thanks for responding