Refusal rate for DR res.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
All this talk about visas, and residency, the big UK changes, the half arsed Dominican changes, anywhere else changed this year of anything significant?

I have never heard of anyone being turned down residency for the DR. I actually don't hear that often of people being turned down for visas going out to US,Europe, Canada, often that it takesforevermore or an appeal is required but not outright refusal which leads me to believe people who are leaving rarely apply unless everything is plain sailing and they know they qualify.
But tell me who gets refused residency? I've never come across that one, anyone not made the grade for DR?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, apparently no residency for convicted criminals (failed police check), people with AIDS or TB or drugs in their system (failed health check). still, i am sure one could get around this providing there is enough money.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have never heard of anyone being turned down residency for the DR.
But tell me who gets refused residency? I've never come across that one, anyone not made the grade for DR?

Your question is about refusal of Dominican residemcy therefore this belongs in the legal forum.

Visa Forum - info on leaving the DR

Legal Forum - info about Dominican residency or citizenship.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
well, apparently no residency for convicted criminals (failed police check), people with AIDS or TB or drugs in their system (failed health check). still, i am sure one could get around this providing there is enough money.

No, the convicted crims isn't true, there are loads of people with a record who enter without having to pull strings, it must depend on what it is and if you have anything pending. If you think about it there are many people with a record, driving offences and so on are all criminal convictions that go on your record. So I don't think that's a huge deal as long as you're not nuts. Put it this way I hear there are even ex-cons from Canada living on the NCoast with residency living without a care, so if you can have actually been to prison and still get in they must be pretty relaxed.

You're probably more likely to be refused for being handicapped than a criminal.

I could always be wrong, but that is the point, never heard of a refusal.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
. Put it this way I hear there are even ex-cons from Canada living on the NCoast with residency living without a care, so if you can have actually been to prison and still get in they must be pretty relaxed.

I could always be wrong, but that is the point, never heard of a refusal.

Are you referring to that big bust a while back? The coordinated effort between RD and Canada where they rounded up the Hell's Angels in Montreal/Cabarete/Sosua?

Certainly those boys had criminal backgrounds and , yes, were living well on the north coast.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Are you referring to that big bust a while back? The coordinated effort between RD and Canada where they rounded up the Hell's Angels in Montreal/Cabarete/Sosua?

Certainly those boys had criminal backgrounds and , yes, were living well on the north coast.
But I doubt they were legal residents...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

No, I wasn't referring to them. You can't tell me you don't know anyone with drink driving convictions, who never broke the law when they were young, stupid or even more recently been drunk or whatever? I can't believe it.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
That could be one of the reasons they are making this residency mandatory. Many criminals from all over the world have lived in the DR for far too long but like Mido said they are not necessarily legal residents.

Not sure how far back in ones life a police check from your country goes. Many years ago I had one done in Canada for a volunteer position and it only went back 5 years.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Mine went right back almost 30 years, THEFT, for robbing golf balls from the 1st green at the golf club when I was a kid.
Actually that's more than I thought, where does the time go.

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I always thought anything you did below 18 (unless murder or so) was not on your official records.

Hey, mine came up clean... but then again I am a very nice guy...

BelgianK

PS... drunk driving on your record would prob give you an extra qualification in this country...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is why i say with the right amount of money you could make things go away. submit counterfeit documents. assume fake name. surely pichi will disagree because he believes in DR but i think applications are not checked thoroughly.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I certainly think good lawyers have a better chance of getting a slightly less than perfect applicant through, for sure.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
this is why i say with the right amount of money you could make things go away. submit counterfeit documents. assume fake name. surely pichi will disagree because he believes in DR but i think applications are not checked thoroughly.

Apparently you haven't heard of the many arrest made by the Dominican branch of Interpol. Someone is checking and because of this criminals are being sent back to their home counties to face their perspective charges.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Apparently you haven't heard of the many arrest made by the Dominican branch of Interpol. Someone is checking and because of this criminals are being sent back to their home counties to face their perspective charges.
This is when they run out of money...

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
This is when they run out of money...

Yeah keep thinking that. Contrary to popular belief on this board, not every Dominican is on the take/corrupt. Criminals are being arrested, and sent to their home country to face justice is because someone is doing their job.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I very recently got my residency and I have several offences from my days as a very active ALF member. If I got through then it is not the quantity it is the severity, if it is the quantity then the number must be more than a couple, but only one was in the last 10 years and so maybe explains it, that was DUI.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
The H/A had huge presence in Puerta Plata even back in the nineties when I first bought my condo there. There were alot of NY mobsters running the offshore betting places in POP then also. Im suprised the Russians are here when they have always been in Cuba. Must be the guys who got booted from Cuba and Russia.
Anna I have to agree with you. Maybe they are trying to get rid of all the gangsters. I doubt it will ever happen but it sounds right.