All we are waiting on is our passports :)

Kidsintow

Sep 16, 2012
Hi all,

Before I start asking questions, I thought I'd introduce myself first:

My husband and I have 6 kids (ages 2-16), live in Texas, and will be visiting the DR in November. My husband is working with a company in Haiti but thought it would be better for us to stay in the DR while he travels back and forth. We are planning on staying in either Punta Cana or Puerto Plata for a month to do some exploring with the possibility of staying longer. (We are being put up the first month so these are our only 2 options thus far.) However, we would prefer to live like Dominicans and submerge ourselves in the culture. I would be lying if I didn't say that I'm concerned about safety. But that's anywhere you move as there are parts of Texas I wouldn't step foot into.

IF you had a choice, which place would you choose? Which one would be safer and easier to maybe find a rental for 2-3 months afterwards? We would love to be able to walk to get groceries and enjoy our surroundings. We also want to live modestly and don't need "modern conveniences", per se. We like to eat really healthy and love lots of fruits and veggies. I homeschool our kids so schools are unnecessary but want the adventure to be their schooling. Oh, and I guess we'd need to be somewhat close to an airport, although my husband wouldn't mind taking a cab a little ways to get there.

We have been looking at the DR for sometime now and honestly, I'm just on overload. I've read and read on the web but without a location to start from, there's more info than I can retain. I don't know if this could turn into a long term stay so I'm trying to be careful where we land first. All that to say, any direction would be appreciated. Just don't yell at me for my ignorance as I'm warning you right now that I've barely traveled inside the US, much less outside of it. ;)

THanks in advance! Going to do some more reading on the site now...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How would your husband be going back and forth to Haiti? Would he be flying or taking ground transportation?

Punta Cana is a very long drive from Haiti while the north coast is easier but still not that close. I live on the north coast and would recommend it over Punta Cana for your situation. Certainly it is possible to rent in the Cabarete/Sosua area and even in Puerto Plata.

Kidsintow

Sep 16, 2012
How would your husband be going back and forth to Haiti? Would he be flying or taking ground transportation?

Punta Cana is a very long drive from Haiti while the north coast is easier but still not that close. I live on the north coast and would recommend it over Punta Cana for your situation. Certainly it is possible to rent in the Cabarete/Sosua area and even in Puerto Plata.

THanks Windeguy. He will be flying.

I just read that someone a family of 5 could eat for dr$8000 or about $200US per month. Does that sound right?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I just read that someone a family of 5 could eat for dr$8000 or about $200US per month. Does that sound right?

If you eat rice, beans and plantains a lot and have some chicken occasionally maybe you could live on a food budget of $200 for 5 people. My grocery bill for three is considerably higher than that and I do not purchase many imported items.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
We buy no imported items and spend minimum 16,000 RD a month on food for 2 adult and a 9 y/o...

Closer to 20 K I forgot the "extras" from the colmado delivery in between...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

That number is WAYYYY off, $50 USD per week?????Where did you read this?
RD20K is a more realistic grocery budget for a family of 5, and that is tight, $17 USD /day!

Dec 26, 2011
Six kids? Even if you get accustomed to rice and beans and chicken and smoked pork chop, with such a large family $20,000pesos/mo. seems like a reasonable budget. They get you on anything at all that's imported. You will find wonderfully cheap fruits and vegetables on the side of the road and many grocery stores(at least in Higuey/Punta Cana/Bavaro)have their fresh produce at half off one day of the week(Tues. or Wed. depending on the store).

I'm more familiar with the Punta Cana area so I recommend that, as you're husband will be making his commute by plane and the proximity of your home to work isn't such an issue.

Good luck!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We spend monthly between 30,000 and 35,000 pesos in supermarket shopping. Nothing luxury. Not counting eat out. All together we spend monthly about 175,000 pesos in recurring things incl. 40,000 in housing.

With 6 children I would say you need at least 200,000 pesos to live decent (nothing special).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We spend monthly between 30,000 and 35,000 pesos in supermarket shopping. Nothing luxury. Not counting eat out. All together we spend monthly about 175,000 pesos in recurring things incl. 40,000 in housing.

With 6 children I would say you need at least 200,000 pesos to live decent (nothing special).

That is a dose of reality for the new DR residents.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
hmmmm I ordered at the restaurant across the street for $2 a day (or around $80 or $100 pesos) for a good meal everyday. In my experience, preferably, I also gave that money to the neighbor (who is like family) and she cooked a nice deliscious home cooked meal for me since she also cooked for her large family. OMG her cooking is soooo good! Keep in mind that this was the first time that I ate Dominican foods. Chuleta con arroz moro, arroz blanco o amarillo y ensalada... Fritos... Mangu... Broiled chicken with the red sauce, mashed potatoe with fried chicken, & more.. I practically lived on that for a month and a half .... But then again ... I did only eat once a day, like the locals, & spent another $100 pesos for dinner occasionally & shared that plate with someone else.. Still, IMO pretty cheap.. My experience.. Ah, but if I had to do it again, I will buy groceries & cook, or have the lady cook. I won't buy at the restaurant anymore because I found a worm in my salad! Ahhhh it grossed me out, I went & got my money back though! (So disgusting) .... But having a cheap budget is do-able

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Wait a minute. That's over $5000 USD a month. at $60,000 a year one can live in New York or Londres for that easily and have monthly trips back to wherever. etc...
Der Fish
Unfortunately that's the reality (but I live in SD which is probably more expensive. To live in SD with European or US standards you need about double the income you would need in Europe. I used to spend 2500 euros a month in holland living better than spending almost 4000 euros now.

I was lured into coming back here by people telling me I could easily live here on 80,000 pesos per month. I tried that for half a year, it didn't work. Thank God I found work that gives me more income, else I would have been back in Holland since 2 years.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Wait a minute. That's over $5000 USD a month. at $60,000 a year one can live in New York or Londres for that easily and have monthly trips back to wherever. etc...
Der Fish

New York on $60,000USD/ year easily with travel money left over?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Der Fish

New York on $60,000USD/ year easily with travel money left over?

Yes, NYC on $60K a year is almost poverty level!
A crappy walk-up studio in Manhattan costs $1700/month these days below 96th Street.
Maybe an annual vacation, certainly no monthly trips.

Back to the OP, you really need to re-work your monthly Dominican budget.
I did not realize you have an 8 person household. RD40K+ is a bit more realistic for food.

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
50 RD$ per Day and Mouth

Well, it sounds like Yanadu aka Yapask1.
And that's why I think his posts are deceiving. :tired:

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, it sounds like Yanadu aka Yapask1.
And that's why I think his posts are deceiving. :tired:

donP

Good point donP. That is about the only source of posts on DR1 where the OP could have been so misled.

Good point also made by another poster about their actually being no direct flights between the DR and Haiti. Flying in that case would not be an option unless it is a private plane.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
kidsintow,
my first thought is to go with the puerto plata if you really want a 'dominican experience'.
if you want to ease yourself into it, then perhaps consider the cabarete or sosua area, which is about 40 minutes east of puerto plata. in general cost of living from cheaper to more expensive would be puerto plata, sosua, cabarete.

if your husband will return to DR via Santo Domingo, it's possible that the Punta Cana area is close for him.
if on the other hand he's working in Quanaminthe or perhaps the Caracol industrial park and coming into DR via Dajabon, then the Puerto Plata area should be closer.

note that it can be difficult for someone unfamiliar with the DR to discern what is a good, safe area with reliable water and electricity.
it's possible to set yourself up so that you're very happy... or very miserable... and only with a 1/4 mile apart.
when you settle on an area, do seek counsel from DR1 or perhaps co-workers of your husband on housing.

good luck!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I can show you where to buy fruits and vegetable for half of the supermarket prices, and I agree that the $200 a month price would be about right if you do most of your cooking and buy real food instead of canned and prepared stuff masquerading as food.
Der Fish

I have to pull you on this Deryl, tonight you are full of sh1te for sure. Real food? Sh1t brother, we know the size of each other and neither of us ever ate on a $200 a month diet, that is for sure. Now come on, let's not get all scooby foo here. You've met my wife my daughter and me, we aren't hoggers! But our groceries are more than $200 a week yet alone a month? You is crazy brother.
I will say yes, you can live as a native on rice, cheap cuts and a bottle of sugar dye- lute now and again. But a Texan ain't gunna be doing this, for that.:pirate:

Whatsup bro, been in panama a. Few weeks and already forgot DR reality?