my two years resident card already expired

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
I did not read dr1 for while and I just read the new regulation. I just checked my card which is expired July 2, 2012. According to regulation mr. guzman posted, I do not have resident status anymore. I have to start again with resident visa oversee. Even I want, I do not qualify permanent resident any more.I hope implementation will modified later to make my old resident count. Please post any update and advice about my situation.
The new regulation seems to learn from US immigration law, oversee visa processing, reentry permit, 6 month absent etc.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Shi. Happens I was in southeast Asia , and had to return since mine expired on June 23 while iwas on vacation.I was due back at that time , since I was aware I had to renew and thought that I would be happy after the length of time iwas away .BUT I WASNT , and decided to change my ticket and stay longer. Haaaaaaah! I did change it , however 2 days later I decided to check into dr1.com and WHAT THE F.......? I learned of this new bit of PRESIDENTE BU..SH.T, THAT HAD transpired . well I had a choice to blow it off and say screw you , However age has mellowed me , and after laughing at my poor timing , since if I had seen dr1 .com I would not have changed my return ticket IN HIGH SEASON , three days would have made a huge difference ! The good news was though ,I did see IT,and came back and renewed it prior to dead line , and all is well . but I decided I won't not finish my trip as I had wanted and God Bless a great dr1 er on today's site that gave me the info of JETAIRFLY.COM AND I rebooked for dr to Brussels to southeast Asia for 50 % less than the previous time using condor / FINNAIR . DR 1 is great!

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
arrugala, congratulation,you made it.Every permanent resident become provisional resident.Funny thing is that illegal amnesty is come from US immigration system.Proving 10 years illegal staying qualify in country permanent resident application.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Would you now recommend to someone to move to the DR?

arrugala, congratulation,you made it.Every permanent resident become provisional resident.Funny thing is that illegal amnesty is come from US immigration system.Proving 10 years illegal staying qualify in country permanent resident application.

As you mentioned, every currently so-called "permanent resident" in the DR has really become a "provisional resident permanently" under the new regulations because you essentially need to re-qualify with a new medical exam and papers of guarantee, etc.. at great expense each time you renew residency.

I understand that this will make it next to impossible for many Haitians to live legally in the DR. That seems to be one main purpose of these regulations.

If I was considering a move to the DR today and I was faced with these regulations, I would have serious doubts about starting the process. Under these new regulations, would you now recommend to someone to move to the DR?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I did not read dr1 for while and I just read the new regulation. I just checked my card which is expired July 2, 2012. According to regulation mr. guzman posted, I do not have resident status anymore. I have to start again with resident visa oversee. Even I want, I do not qualify permanent resident any more.I hope implementation will modified later to make my old resident count. Please post any update and advice about my situation.
The new regulation seems to learn from US immigration law, oversee visa processing, reentry permit, 6 month absent etc.

Don't give-up so fast.

I suggest you first take a gua-gua to Migracion.
Don't be confused just go to Migracion,

then you can start to be confused. :classic:

Jan 17, 2009
Consult with a lawyer!! I went to renew mine (provisional) in August (before it expired). There was a couple with me with a provisional residency expired over a year ago. They paid a fine, and filled out a renewal application. That was all.

BTW, I don't know why, but we were both told that we didn't need a medical. I left Immigration a bit confused and wondering if my lawyer had made a mistake, but my application was received by the immigration officer.

I then got a call from my lawyer to submit some documents to show I could support myself--a letter from my bank here.

I was just notified that I'm scheduled to pick up my residency on Thursday.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I dont think you do need to start again, there is an extra RD1000 to pay for being late and then a RD500pesos tax for every month there after. Exp June 2012, renewal Sept 2012, late fee RD1000 + RD500x3tax =RD2500

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Consult with a lawyer!! I went to renew mine (provisional) in August (before it expired). There was a couple with me with a provisional residency expired over a year ago. They paid a fine, and filled out a renewal application. That was all.

BTW, I don't know why, but we were both told that we didn't need a medical. I left Immigration a bit confused and wondering if my lawyer had made a mistake, but my application was received by the immigration officer.

I then got a call from my lawyer to submit some documents to show I could support myself--a letter from my bank here.

I was just notified that I'm scheduled to pick up my residency on Thursday.

Sounds good. Is the lawyers name available by PM? I have to renew next year.

Thanks in anticipation!

yapask1

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

More of this unnecessary poking about in people's finances, I don't like that this has to be done more than on initial application, since no welfare even initially is unnecessary, I tell ya, something is wrong with that.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
More of this unnecessary poking about in people's finances, I don't like that this has to be done more than on initial application, since no welfare even initially is unnecessary, I tell ya, something is wrong with that.

I wouldn't like that either but you are in a foreign country with their permission. I don't think a non-citizen has a voice in how they run their country. Of course you have the right to bitch.