Under the new residency regulations would you recommend to someone to move to the DR?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Under the new "never are you really a permanent resident" regulations would you recommend to someone to move to the DR?

Here is what you will now have to go through to renew so-called permanent residency each time. Permanent residents always had to pay a periodic fee, but now even the name permanent residency is preposterous. It should be called "provisional residency permanently". Check out this link:

Renewing My Permanent Residency in 2012 | Life and Times of the Dominican Gringa

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
After doing some research on moving to other countries ( Central America, S Amer., S.E.Aisa ) it is all the same sh!t. Costa Rica just changed the rules and others are following. No matter where you go you will need to get copies upon copies. Costa Rica wants a copy of every page in your passport but they are not messing with the people who have already jumped thru the hoops.

Do not know what to say to the snowbirds. you guys are still in limbo. But for moving i would recommend it only if they had a relaxxed budget and could afford to hire the right people to take care of the hastles that come with living i a place that does stuff different than where they came from.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I wonder if there is anything our countries of origin can do about this. I mean, come on, there are many dominicans in each one of those countries, and I don't think that the ones who live there legally have to go through this predicament once they become permanent residents. So I think some pressure could be put into the makers of this law to bring a little sense to them. I agree the dominican government has every right to set the rules to become a resident, but once you ARE resident, they just can't keep pushing the same things at us time after time.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
A few years ago, Leonel and his administration made a big deal about creating new incentives for attracting retirees to choose DR over other countries, specifically Panama. When the new "pensioner program" was put into law, it appeared to be a joke...nothing like Panama's system, but at least it didn't appear to have so many hoops needed to be jumped through.

It appears they have decided to do the opposite...while other countries may have more rules and regulations for lomg-term visitors and emigrants, this country was supposedly making a serious effort to make things easier and more attractive for prospective ex-pats to invest and settle here....

WTH happened???

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Ridiculous Loops

... once you ARE resident, they just can't keep pushing the same things at us time after time.

It is a scam.
Residents who have lived here for many years are made to jump through ridiculous loops and need to have a medical done by people who may not even be real doctor and nurses.
From what I hear, fewer and fewer residents are willing to renew their residencias with these requirements (which - with at least 2 journeys to SD- may cost more than 20,000 RD$).
Now, what will happen to them?
Will their dependents (Dominican wife, children) starve?

donP

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm going to go and renew my expires in October 2012 residency tomorrow.

I'll post back here on the outcome, pain etc :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm going to go and renew my expires in October 2012 residency tomorrow.

I'll post back here on the outcome, pain etc :)

I have already heard from people that say they will no longer bother to renew their residency.

Robert, it will be interesting to see what the total cost is for all of the documentation and fees is when you do that.

Those of us outside of Santo Domingo have to add in the costs of at least two trips to Santo Domingo and potentially hotel rooms if we don't make round trips on the same day.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This is just one more case of the Dominican mentality of: "Cutting Off Their Nose To Spite Their Face"!!!!!
They would rather screw you out of a dollar, than earn 100 of your dollars.
No one here ever wants to step on someone else's "SCAM"!
I think it is a source of pride to a Dominican when they can take advantage of another person.
Their ignorance NEVER ceases to amaze me!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

BenDe

Aug 4, 2012
in my opinion, i think it still not enough of a problem(when applying for the first time), but
i can see it became a serious headache to renew... however, i think, if one is retired in DR
and only need to renew and has to go thru "hell" to do so, just don't renew it, it's not like you
have to work and employ anyone.

i, for myself, am going thru to the residency visa right now, will receive it before the end of october,
i will be semi-retired, and if it is such complication, i will simply continue my life as if i had it.

That would be a good pressure at the goernment if no one renew, then they won't make a peso, then
they might re-adjust.

BenD

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
For those retired, there is a whole section in the new law. I can't remember for sure, but I think they don't have to do the medical part or the carta de garantia thing, just the police paper and the bunch of copies. They do need, however, to prove again that they have the resources to keep qualifying as a retiree.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
For comparison, the renewal procedure for permanent residency in the U.S. appears to consist of little more than an online or mail in form than updates current address, name change if any, and asks whether you have been ordered to leave the U.S. or have previously abandoned your residency status.

Looks to take 5 minutes to fill out online or print and send in by mail.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-90.pdf

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Costa Rica wants a copy of every page in your passport but they are not messing with the people who have already jumped thru the hoops. .

Thats not unusual.... they want your travel history and need every page to verify it.
Most countries ask for that

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
What is the income requirement for retirees, does anyone know? Here i Panama it is $1000USD

$1,500USD + 250$ for every dependent.

I told Acira she would have to go hungry once she ate her allowance...

Damn that floor is hard to sleep on, and the dogblanket needs a wash... lol

BelgianK

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
What exactly are the government protecting themselves against here with proof of income. It is not like people are living on welfare from DR, it seems so illogical to be arsed with such checks. If people can't afford to live then they leave or starve to death, simple.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Or you demonstrate cash in the bank or asset strength .. no?

Look here:

"http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/124610-notice-all-expats-dr-12.html

Auszug aus Beitrag Nr. 114 (Ricardo):

"People that own homes/RE/investment property in the DR will fall into the resident category for their niche.

As per law and regulation, they are "grand-fathered" into their niche and need not meet any new level of monetary level to have their residency accordingly to their niche issued. All they need is to follow the rules and regulation to have the proper status as their needs entails in the country. You can be a Dominican citizen and buy property or home in the US, yet for all that, it will not clear you to get even a visa to the US if you don't meet the strictest of rules for your category!

A person that has invested in the DR and seeks to make use of that property can decide upon themselves what's the best way to enjoy that property. The DR gov can't make that decision for them!

Like I said, the borrador includes many new types of visas that will be enacted and enforced, depending on which they decided applies best on each sector......"

:rolleyes:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Still need to endure the medicals, etc?
Thats what has always confused me about this... sounds like property owners are a shoe-in..... but there 's no such thing in RD as a 'shoe-in':mad:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Just for the record, this is what the law reads:

ART?CULO 60.- A los fines de acogerse al r?gimen preferencial establecido en la Ley, los Pensionados o Jubilados y los Rentistas Extranjeros deber?n recibir un ingreso mensual de acuerdo a la escala siguiente:
a) Los Pensionados o Jubilados deber?n recibir un ingreso no menor de mil quinientos d?lares estadounidenses (US$1,500.00) o su equivalente en moneda nacional ;
b) Los Rentistas, deber?n percibir una suma correspondiente a dos mil d?lares estadounidenses (US$2,000.00) o su equivalente en moneda nacional;
c) Por cada Pariente que aplique conjuntamente con el solicitante principal, se requiere al solicitante principal un ingreso adicional correspondiente a la suma de doscientos cincuenta d?lares americanos (US$250.00)
ART?CULO 61.- Al solicitante principal no se le exigir? una edad m?nima, sino s?lo cumplir con los requisitos fijados en la Ley y el presente Reglamento.

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
I have lived here for 15 years. I have never had a problem renewing my residency. On some occasions my residency had expired 2 years previously. All I had to do is pay for the two years. I never found it a hassle. In by 10am out before 1pm. Only one visit necessary. They have streamlined the process very well.