Pig farmer: Salami makers have duped Dominicans for 14 years

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...ami-makers-have-duped-Dominicans-for-14-years

Santo Domingo.- Dominicans have no idea of how long they?ve been duped by salami makers into thinking they?re eating pork or beef, two meats absent fro those products for the last 14 years.
Dominican Pig Farms Association (Adogranja) director Pedro Porrello said they have reports waht salami makers pass off as pork and beef is in fact mechanically deboned meat (MDM) in most cases.
He said although the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved MDM as a meat byproduct or another ingredient, it isn?t meat and cannot be considered as such in the product?s content.
The row pitting sausage makers and pig and cattle farmers is precisely becuase the former have stopped buying locally raised animals and resorted to cheaper MDM instead, but continue passing off salami as having pork or beef.
Porrello explained that mechanically deboned meat is nothing more bones, marrow, entrails, chicken skin, and other parts that ordinary citizens discard or feed their dogs with.
"What?s done to get MDM is to compress all that strongly with machinery. On the other side, a strainer or a metal plate with holes, to let out the bone marrow and what can be separated from most of the internal organs, cartilage and other things that are added. In the case of the viscera, those go from one place to another without going through any prior process," the meat producer told elcaribe.com.do.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It was in DR1's news on Wednesday :)
Where's the meat?
The executive director of the Dominican Pork Farmers Association (Adogranja), Pedro Porrello, revealed yesterday, Tuesday 18 September that since 1998 pork and beef have been absent from most salami produced in the Dominican Republic. According to an article in El Caribe, the meat processors are using MDM - mechanically deboned meat - an industry euphemism for processed scraps that have been reduces to what has been called "pink ooze" in the United States press. It is not meat according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and is classified as a meat byproduct.
According to Porrello, the central issue between the meat processors, the companies that produce salami with MDM, and the nation's pork farmers is based on the fact that for more than 10 years the meat processors have stopped buying pigs from the farmers while selling the idea that their salami contains pork and beef. Adogranja said that "for more than a decade, the Digenor and Ministry of Public Health authorities have allowed the meat processors to violate the laws and the technical regulations..."
Porrello suggested the creation of two product lines: one using MDM and another using real meat from the pork and beef farmers. He warned that the recent proposal of a regulation at Digenor would include the definition of MDM, which should not be allowed. He said that "the meat processors intended to include MDM in the process of making hams, especially ham which is used in sandwiches." By definition, ham is the generic name of the meat from the hind legs of pigs.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A TV documentary on sausage factories in the UK a few years ago resulted in a mini-surge in vegetarianism.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
No wonder its always fried

kill all bacteria and such
I am not a picky eater ,I love sausages german ,polish ,italian
fry it ,nuke it ,boil it
now it should be safe to eat:)
Manu

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is ridiculous! I think I'm gonna turn vegetarian.

Watch out for the rice, lol.

Seriously, I think if we knew HALF of what's in the foods we eat it would make us sick in more ways than one.

My Sicilian grandparents lived in the Catskills, and they raised 11 kids off their farm. Almost everything was homegrown or homemade. Their own chickens, cows too. Fast forward 75 years.... it seems the pesticides they used caused cancer. And the cousin who used to do a favor and crop dust grandpa's farm when he did his father's farm - also used to fly over the house and grandmas's 1 acre garden and give it a spray. Kids and animals in the area included.

So much for healthy country living. 7 of the 11 kids are gone, only two didn't have cancer. Two of the four left have been treated for cancer.

Read the ingredients on ANYTHING that isn't from the produce section. Enuf said.