Returning to DR...it's been 11yrs

drfan4

Sep 27, 2012
This will be our 4th trip to DR. We loved it there!!! I'm wondering what has changed since we've been there in '02. We love Sosua beach during the day, Cabarete and Playa Grande. Any changes that we can expect???

This will be our first time that we will be with another couple, that isn't against drinking alcohol. So we'd also like to experience some of the night life...where is it safe to go/recommended??

Aug 21, 2007
Tons of changes just since I came here more than 6 years ago. You will be amazed, for sure.

I will leave it to others on this forum to comment regarding night life.

Lindsey

drfan4

Sep 27, 2012
Has the beach atmosphere at Sosua changed?? can you still get a lounge chair on the beach and just relax??

drfan4

Sep 27, 2012
I just read that thread. I just want to be sure I've been telling our friends the right information about what to expect there. We are so excited to finally be going back.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Depending on when you'll be here, Playa Grande may change a bit.
New access road to open later this year, old beach road closed now to through traffic.
Shacks moving east....

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you will find a lot of new places to explore - was the other beach here the last time you came

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go to Playa Caleton in Rio S. Juan. It is just before Playa Grande. You can relax there and eat great seafood. Just don't go on weekends.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
This will be our 4th trip to DR. We loved it there!!! I'm wondering what has changed since we've been there in '02. We love Sosua beach during the day, Cabarete and Playa Grande. Any changes that we can expect???

This will be our first time that we will be with another couple, that isn't against drinking alcohol. So we'd also like to experience some of the night life...where is it safe to go/recommended??

Changes in Sosua since 02. Oh My! Where would one even start?

That RD$30. for a beer is not RD$30 anymore. Nor the RD$5 for a cup of coffee. I'll stop with that.

drfan4

Sep 27, 2012
Depending on when you'll be here, Playa Grande may change a bit.
New access road to open later this year, old beach road closed now to through traffic.
Shacks moving east....
oh no...can we still get there?? we will be there toward the end of October. We really want to show our friends this beautiful beach. My husband can't wait to show his friend the intense waves there.

drfan4

Sep 27, 2012
When we went in the past, we went with 7th Day Adventist that didn't drink and very strick vegetarians....so we didn't eat out or drink. We did enjoy laying on the beach, having a "Secretary" to help us, and snorkeling. Can we still enjoy just that??

Where is a good place to go for drinks and some food??

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
When we went in the past, we went with 7th Day Adventist that didn't drink and very strick vegetarians....so we didn't eat out or drink. We did enjoy laying on the beach, having a "Secretary" to help us, and snorkeling. Can we still enjoy just that??

Where is a good place to go for drinks and some food??

Of course you can still enjoy!

At Sosua beach you can rent a beach chair, under an umbrella and the guy will run for beer and food. He will watch your stuff while you swim or walk around... don't take anything expensive or fancy. You can rent the snorkeling equipment but you will want to bring your own sanitizer for it. Better that you bring your own goggles and snorkel. LOTS of choices for eating and drinking in Sosua. Best that you walk around and find what you like. That's part of the fun.

Have fun.

drfan4

Sep 27, 2012
Oh good!! Can't wait to try some new restaurants and have some fun in Sosua. It's been so long since we've been...but DR is our dream vacation spot.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Go to Playa Caleton in Rio S. Juan. It is just before Playa Grande. You can relax there and eat great seafood. Just don't go on weekends.

This is supposed to be a secret. Please do not tell anyone else about this. ;)