Multiple citizenship (3 or more)?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Anyone here holds citizenship of at least 3 different countries, being DR and US two of them? I think it is not prohibited for these 2 countries...

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
Depending on which country, as far as i know one is only entitled to hold 2 nationalities i.e 2 passports. That doesn't mean that you can have other registrations (like work permit or registration of other countries), but official citizenship is limited to 2.

Anyone here holds citizenship of at least 3 different countries, being DR and US two of them? I think it is not prohibited for these 2 countries...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I know a teenager born here of German & Canadian parents. She supposedly holds German, Canadian, and Dominican passports.

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
I know a teenager born here of German & Canadian parents. She supposedly holds German, Canadian, and Dominican passports.

Guess she's lying, he what's new!!! She can hold an german and canadian passport and an dominican registration, that is possible.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I could not find any law in DR that specifically prohibits more than 2 nationalities. These new renewal procedures for residents got me thinking for the first time about becoming a DR citizen, but I don't feel like resigning any of my other two passports. I guess I'll have to ask a migration lawyer about it, then. I just thought I would ask here first, to see if anyone was in the same situation.

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
Depending of what you're other nationalities are , but for example i would never NEVER give up like an US/european passport for an dominican, just saying tough. I'd rather go to the little bit of struggle with the new laws.

I could not find any law in DR that specifically prohibits more than 2 nationalities. These new renewal procedures for residents got me thinking for the first time about becoming a DR citizen, but I don't feel like resigning my other two passports. I guess I'll have to ask a migration lawyer about it, then. I just thought I would ask here first, to see if anyone was in the same situation.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Depending of what you're other nationalities are , but for example i would never NEVER give up like an US/european passport for an dominican, just saying tough. I'd rather go to the little bit of struggle with the new laws.

Definitely...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I believe multiple passports are permitted..... as for the US, it is illegal to enter the US on any passport other than your US one.
i.e. if you have US citizenship, you must use it to enter.

Others have posted here that Germany won't allow mutiple passports.... dunno

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I could not find any law in DR that specifically prohibits more than 2 nationalities. These new renewal procedures for residents got me thinking for the first time about becoming a DR citizen, but I don't feel like resigning any of my other two passports. I guess I'll have to ask a migration lawyer about it, then. I just thought I would ask here first, to see if anyone was in the same situation.

If you look at the naturalization requirements, point 14 states:

14. En caso de haber obtenido otra nacionalidad distinta a la de origen anexar un historial sumario de
la misma.

So in other words if you have a second nationality you need to explain why. Sounds to me like it is allowed.

Matilda

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
If you look at the naturalization requirements, point 14 states:

14. En caso de haber obtenido otra nacionalidad distinta a la de origen anexar un historial sumario de
la misma.

So in other words if you have a second nationality you need to explain why. Sounds to me like it is allowed.

Matilda

Hi Matilda like i already mentioned 2 passports is permitted, but the OP's question was how about three nationalities (i answered this too if u read the posts). Anyway thanks for your reply based on the law/facts.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know a couple that were married in the US. He is a German National, she is a UK National. They have a son born in the US. He has a German, UK, and US Passport.

As for the DR, it could be different, I don't know.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This was taken from the list of requirements for citizenship. The fact that it says if you have an another nationality other than that you were born with, please explain why, leads me to think that it would not prevent you from having Dominican citizenship as well. In other words you could have three.

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'd love to know the answer to this too.

I'm a US Citizen, and recently collected all the documents I need for Italian citizenship. Just as I was ready to file for that, all this new nonsense with DR permanent residency started, and it looks like I'm better off going straight for DR citizenship [married to a Dominican man for decades].

I've held up doing anything because our son really wants me to get the Italian citizenship so he can get it through me (otherwise he's not eligible), but he was also thinking of claiming his DR citizenship through my husband/his father, so we're both in the same boat - wondering if triple citizenship is allowed.

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
I know a couple that were married in the US. He is a German National, she is a UK National. They have a son born in the US. He has a German, UK, and US Passport.

He can't have 3 passports, so maybe he has some kind of registration or permit for one of those countries, but he can't have 3 passports. Just call any embasyy or Consulate and they will tell you the same. You may only have a dubbel nationality and other permits with other countries, I hold 2 passport and 2 registrations in different countries, now that's possible. Please people dont come on this thread and tell like i know MR X how says he got 3 passport or Ms Y that carries 4 passports. Please keep it FACT based Please so we don't confuse readers!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
If you country allow dual citizenship, you can have 3 passports. I used to have 3 (1 expired).
My children have 3 passports. Let's say we go to France, we use the French one to enter France and US one to come back. The third one is to go to my parents country in Africa without needing a visa (other than that useless lol), so in reality I only use 2 (French and US).

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I guess some people just apply for their new citizenship without the third country actually knowing they have two already. I can see this happening in DR very easily as I don't think they will check this country by country. However, I wouldn't want to do this and then get in trouble later on. I know there must be some people with three or more passports, but I don't know if it is legal. According to DRsantos it is not legal.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
All Google searches appear to disagree with you DRsantos. As long as the individual countries have no rules against dual or multiple citizenship you can have as many as you want.

How Many Passports Can One Person Have? ? Rush Passport – Passport Blog

However, there is practically no limit to the number of passports that one person can have. Citizenship can be determined based upon place of birth, marriage, permanent place of residence and by being passed down from parents. Since a child gains the citizenship of his/her parents, therefore a passport can be obtained based on the country of birth of his/her parents, and/or the country of his citizenship.

How many passports can you have

How many passports can you have
It depends on the countries that you are a national of. If they allow multiple citizenship (all of them) then you can have as many as possible

Matilda

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
If you country allow dual citizenship, you can have 3 passports. I used to have 3 (1 expired).
My children have 3 passports. Let's say we go to France, we use the French one to enter France and US one to come back. The third one is to go to my parents country in Africa without needing a visa (other than that useless lol), so in reality I only use 2 (French and US).

Maybe a new situation for children or different rule, i'm not certain, it's new to me aswell. Is there any chances that the other passport is like from a country like Congo, Lyberia or Zimbabwe. Maybe they apllied the rule later or never did, i'm not offending or something but this just happens. I just know this because i tries to get an 3rd nationality aswell i had to give 1 up before obtaining. So i never applied further!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

If the son was born in the US, I am told he cannot get a German passport, as they do not allow dual citizenship. If on the other had he was born in Germany, from a German parent, and later on moved to the US, it is allowed by Germany to request a German passport.

BelgianK