Traveling from Santiago airport to Puerto Plata Lifestyle Resort

chillybilly

Sep 30, 2012
Hi all,

I'm so glad to find this site! My wife are coming to the Dominican Republic in November. We're from Minnesota in the U.S. Flying into Santiago and planning on renting a car and driving to the resort so we can see some of the countryside. I've already talked to National Car rental and everything sounds pretty good. Sound's like the drive only takes 2 1/2-3 hours on pretty good and well marked roads. Is there anything I should consider or reconsider about this? Our cell phone carrier is Verizon and I'm going to contact them about coverage. This will be our first visit to the DR but from everything I've read I don's think it will be our last. Sounds like the country is a great place to come and visit during our cold Minnesota winter. :)

Thanks,

Chillybilly

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Welcome to DR1!

Honestly, you are better off hiring a dependable driver for this trip and see the countryside sipping a cold one, and not worrying about cows, pigs, motoconchos, or large potholes getting in the way. The drive is only about 1 1/2 hours and much more relaxing after a long flight letting someone else do the driving. I have a dependable chofer to send you to if you are interested.

Verizon international roaming is a total rip off FYI, you can buy a very cheap local phone already activated for about $10-$15 USD, or use WIFI in the resort with SKYPE on your phone/laptop.

t'

chillybilly

Sep 30, 2012
Hi Tamborista,

Thanks for the quick reply! That might be a great idea. What might the chofer charge? Would they be willing to bring us back to Santiago the following week? Would they want U.S. Dollars or DR Pesos? Might they take Visa? :)

Thanks,

Chillybilly

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Like so many from the chillyNorth, you think you can do things here on the internet: NOT!
2) If it takes you that long from the airport to Puerto Plata, you got really lost!!
3) Forget Verizon. Spend less than $10 and get a cheap Orange or Claro phone that you can use for local or international calls on a pay as you go basis...

Best of all, don't rent a car.

Do a search on this board for cars and drivers from Airport Santiago To North Shore. Or get Wilson's number from somebody on the North Shore. He provides door to door service.

Driving here, while pretty okay once you know how things are is NOT for the innocent. I will bet you have never seen three motorcycles on the road on any day. Here you will see over 300 easy on any day and they are totally ignorant of the rules of transit and courtesy is an unknown word. My suggestion to you is to get a car and driver from the airport, and then once in your hotel, get another car and driver if you want to venture out...cheaper, safer and a whole lot cheaper.

Hope you enjoy your stay...people here will help you as much as possible.

HB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
My driver Johan charges $80 USD CASH, and will bring you back for the same price.
I usually give him $100 USD each way, as he is very safe and dependable, that is up to you.
It is generally not a good idea to use a credit card in the DR.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Welcome to DR1!

Honestly, you are better off hiring a dependable driver for this trip and see the countryside sipping a cold one, and not worrying about cows, pigs, motoconchos, or large potholes getting in the way. The drive is only about 1 1/2 hours and much more relaxing after a long flight letting someone else do the driving. I have a dependable chofer to send you to if you are interested.

Verizon international roaming is a total rip off FYI, you can buy a very cheap local phone already activated for about $10-$15 USD, or use WIFI in the resort with SKYPE on your phone/laptop.

t'

Tambo is correct.

I'll add that IF you are not use to driving in the D.R..... your first visit is NOT the time to try driving.

Get a car with driver. Sit back, enjoy and experience the joys of traveling in the D.R. with someone that knows the roads, conditions and how to handle our Dominican driving .... standards?

I wish you a good journey and visit.

Edit... I see that H.B. has beaten me to it in a much better way. Dang you H.B. LOL

chillybilly

Sep 30, 2012
Hey Tambo,

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely contact Johan sometime in the next week with our itinerary information. My spanish is minimal but I have a good friend who lived in Uruguay for several years and I can ask him to translate for me. Maybe that will help.

Chillybilly

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Above is good sound advice. However should you decide to be adventurous(like many turistas) make sure you obtain max insurance at the airport rental car company. Additionally don't do it at night. You wont be able to see the "many road hazards

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I concur with getting a driver. The resort may also be able to recommend one. It will be a lot easier to relax, and the driver will stop to eat if you want to. Basically he will stop whenever you want to and he knows the roads here which are quite a challenge. You can always rent a car during your stay here but if you breakdown and you are white skinned, you willl get ripped off for everything. For example fixing a puncture only costs about $3 for dominican but for a gringo probably $20...........

However, if you Do rent a car, do not EVER leave anything visible in it while you go shopping or to the beach, common sense really. Too much of a temptation.

have fun

dave

D

dottieb

Hello All,

I'm new at this forum stuff and I am going to the Dominican republic in two weeks, I need transportation as well from A TO airport lifestyle vacation resorts. Where on this board can you find the numbers to contact people about transportation. Thank you for any help!

Dottieb

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Hello All,

I'm new at this forum stuff and I am going to the Dominican republic in two weeks, I need transportation as well from A TO airport lifestyle vacation resorts. Where on this board can you find the numbers to contact people about transportation. Thank you for any help!

Dottieb

Transportation Service | | Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Maybe they will pick you up from STI. You can also take a cab outside the airport. Maybe others have special drivers they can recommend.

Last edited:

City girl

Feb 14, 2015
I am flying into Santiago and need to get to Puerto Plata

My driver Johan charges $80 USD CASH, and will bring you back for the same price.
I usually give him $100 USD each way, as he is very safe and dependable, that is up to you.
It is generally not a good idea to use a credit card in the DR.

How can I connect with your driver to get from Santiago to Puerto Plata

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
You can get from STI to almost anywhere in the city for about RD$500-$600 then from the city to Puerto Plata for around RD$300 (no more than $400) on a Metro or Caribe Tours bus.

That may be a much more affordable option for you.