New Residency rule?

vbrookie

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Sh*t...
I was perfectly happy until yesterday when I heard about this yesterday. WTF just happened? So we no longer can semi live here and pay little fee when we exit? As American who lived here 3-4 months at time I have had no problem going back home for couple of months and come back. But another gringo I met have told me that there's this whole new law on residency and I might have to pay Sh*t load of money on exit and I might not be able to return. If this is the case how can I make sure I can return to our now second home?

Second.
So I can't no longer get the residency process going here? I need to go back and get boatloads of papers from back home? What exactly do I need to get here? I have asked couple of lawyers here and it seems they don't seems to have clue is exactly needed to get. Both told me to get Visa from back state but one told me I need to get everything certificate apostilled(?), including my wife's both Austrian and US Citizenship Apostilled(?) from both country and other have told me just go to DR embassy in NY and get all the documents apostilled in DR embassy. Can you even get US birth certificate and citizenship paper Apostilled? And have another nation touch documents issued by state or country of US? So what exactly is needed?

Fu*k...
We've been coming and going for years and this new law is going to create a lot of problems.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just yet another case of Dominican Logic!
Make it nearly impossible for all those foreigners who spend millions of dollars when in the DR to get here!
I think it's just to "Phuck" with their "Haitiano Brothers" who they "love" so much!
Time will tell.
I may have to land in Haiti, and cross the border from there next time I go to Boston.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Just yet another case of Dominican Logic!
Make it nearly impossible for all those foreigners who spend millions of dollars when in the DR to get here!
I think it's just to "Phuck" with their "Haitiano Brothers" who they "love" so much!
Time will tell.
I may have to land in Haiti, and cross the border from there next time I go to Boston.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Yes, Dominicans must be thoroughly fed up with parasite gringos. Good for them that they introduce regulations. I heard this week that one of these parasites had forged an entry stamp to avoid paying a trivial exit charge!

Sounds as these parasites are taking Dominicans jobs and maybe they are running all sorts of rackets as well.

yapask1

Bonairelisa

Jul 10, 2012
I just was here for 10 months, so I overstayed by 8, I went to Migracion and paid 1,000 pesos for my overstay fine, I didn't want to do it at the airport because of the new rules.... I just came back last week, didn't have to have a return ticket out of the DR and had no problems entering the country. There are new rules, but the overstay fines are still in place.

Aug 21, 2007
What I would like to know is in regards to any movement on temporary residencies. I applied in late June using the old method and submitting all paperwork needed. I have heard nothing since then. I am returning to my home country next month and need to decide whether to repeat the process there using the new method. (Of course, I don't want to cause any confusion in this country, where confusion causes log jams.)

Thus, my question is whether anyone applying for temporary residency using the NEW method has had it approved here in the DR, AND/OR whether an of those last applications before the you know what hit the fan were approved.

Anyone?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Lindsey, did you get a receipt that all documents were filed correctly? If yes, there should be a file number which you can use to check on the status. You have to go there personally or send somebody who knows what he is doing, don't try per telephone.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
What I would like to know is in regards to any movement on temporary residencies. I applied in late June using the old method and submitting all paperwork needed. I have heard nothing since then. I am returning to my home country next month and need to decide whether to repeat the process there using the new method. (Of course, I don't want to cause any confusion in this country, where confusion causes log jams.)

Thus, my question is whether anyone applying for temporary residency using the NEW method has had it approved here in the DR, AND/OR whether an of those last applications before the you know what hit the fan were approved.

Anyone?

I am in Toronto right now and have heard nothing.

They say it takes 5-15 working days and that expires on Thursday and my flight is on friday so i will return with or without visa after spending alot of money

Jan 17, 2009
I don't know if my case will help you Lindsey. Apply to renew my temporary in early August with a lawyer. I picked it up last week. despite applying in time, I got another temporary that cost me $650 and lasts just ome year. The heck of a expensive annual visa!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was told by an immigration mucky muck the new regs are aimed at Haitians.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Sh*t...
I was perfectly happy until yesterday when I heard about this yesterday. WTF just happened? So we no longer can semi live here and pay little fee when we exit? As American who lived here 3-4 months at time I have had no problem going back home for couple of months and come back. But another gringo I met have told me that there's this whole new law on residency and I might have to pay Sh*t load of money on exit and I might not be able to return. If this is the case how can I make sure I can return to our now second home?
Fu*k...
We've been coming and going for years and this new law is going to create a lot of problems.

Why are you so upset? I thought that you, civilized foreign people, loved to follow laws and rules.:speechles

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Vbrookie said
"So I can't no longer get the residency process going here? I need to go back and get boatloads of papers from back home? What exactly do I need to get here? I have asked couple of lawyers here and it seems they don't seems to have clue is exactly needed to get. Both told me to get Visa from back state but one told me I need to get everything certificate apostilled(?), including my wife's both Austrian and US Citizenship Apostilled(?) from both country and other have told me just go to DR embassy in NY and get all the documents apostilled in DR embassy. Can you even get US birth certificate and citizenship paper Apostilled? And have another nation touch documents issued by state or country of US? So what exactly is needed?"

if you go to the Dr embassy website and then the consular section there is an downloadable form for you to fill out and shows all the paperwork requirements needed.....I just completed this at the DR Embassy / consular office in Washington, DC.

Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States

Residence Visa
DESCRIPTION
Visas for the purpose of requesting residency are issued for travelers whose intention is to establish in the Dominican Republic permanently. They are valid for one entry within 60 days of issue. Once in the Dominican Republic, the beneficiary of this visa must visit the Department of Migration within the 60 day period to apply for a provisional residence permit and complete additional local requirements. REQUIREMENTS

• Visa Form filled and completed in type or clearly printed.
  • One (1) frontal picture size 2 x 2 inches, with a white background.
  • Original passport valid for at least the duration of the requested visa or longer.
  • Medical Certificate showing a diagnosis of the overall health of the applicant, indicating if he or she suffers from any contagious disease. It must be issued by the health authorities of the country in which the person resides at the time of application. This document must be notarized, translated into Spanish and both the original and the translation Apostilled. Alternatively, once the original document is Apostilled it can be sent for translation by the Consular Section (see translation services).
  • Criminal Record Certificate issued by the appropriate authorities of the country in which the person resides at the time of application. This document must be notarized, translated into Spanish and both the original and the translation Apostilled. Alternatively, once the original document is Apostilled it can be sent for translation by the Consular Section (see translation services). Not required for minors.
  • In the case of minors, permission of the parents or guardian when the applicant is not the mother or the father. If the child is not to be accompanied into the country by both parents, it is required that the parent who is not in the Dominican Republic authorizes the other parent to move with the child permanently to the Dominican Republic. This document must be notarized, translated into Spanish and both the original and the translation Apostilled. Alternatively, once the original document is Apostilled it can be sent for translation by the Consular Section (see translation services).
  • Legible photocopy of National Identity Document of the country of nationality and legible photocopy of the Residence Card if residing in a second country.
  • Birth Certificate. This document must be notarized, translated into Spanish and both the original and the translation Apostilled. Alternatively, once the original document is Apostilled it can be sent for translation by the Consular Section (see translation services).
  • Marriage Certificate. This document must be notarized, translated into Spanish and both the original and the translation Apostilled. Alternatively, once the original document is Apostilled it can be sent for translation by the Consular Section (see translation services). Dominican marriage certificates must have been issued within the past six (6) months by the nearest office of the Central Electoral Board (Junta Central Electoral). A photocopy of the National Identity Document of the spouse of Dominican origin or if a legal resident a copy of the permanent residence card of the spouse must be attached.
  • Notarized Letter of Guarantee. Signed by a Dominican or a legal resident alien in the Dominican Republic specifying the type of relationship with the beneficiary of the visa. Also, the guarantor certifies to the Dominican authorities to undertake any expenses incurred on account of the visa beneficiary. The guarantor remains financially committed in the event that deportation is required if the recipient should violate the Dominican law. This letter of guarantee must be signed by a notary of the Dominican Republic and legalized by the Attorney General's Office of the Dominican Republic.
  • Documents showing the applicant's financial solvency. All documents must be issued for the applicant and NOT the guarantor. These documents may include as applicable:

a) Letter from Bank: updated with details of the account balance b) Copies of certificates of titles of property (must present the original) c) Registration of established companies, d) Copy of the last tax return e) Copy of Financial Certificates f) Letter of employment or proof of pension
  • Visa application letter from the beneficiary addressed to the Consular Section containing name, nationality, place of residence and occupation, as well as information on reasons for seeking to establish in the country (Of Dominican origin, child of a Dominican, Dominican spouse, as pensioner, or investor).
PROCESSING TIME
Between 10 and 15 working days depending on date of travel, prior requests and staff
availability.
FEE US$125.00

you will need the following:
1. Birth certificate - translated into spanish, both original and translated versions notarized and then apostiled.
2. Medical certificate of good health: both original and translated to spanish - notarized and apostiled.
3. Certificate of good conduct: same as above
4. a letter from stating why you want to apply for DR residency - same as above for notary and apostiled
5. a letter from a Dominican Citizen guarantee of fiscal responsibility - spanish, notarized and apostiled.
6. a financial statement showing ability to provide for yourself and family = in spanish, notarized and apostiled.
7. two 2x2 pictures of yourself
8. $125 dollars with application to the consulate.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Yesterday I went to the consulate in Washington DC with all my paperwork. I had downloaded the requirements from their website. I met with Virginia there, who I had spoken with many times asking questions, which paid off in the long run. The process was simple, and I follow directions.

She called out for each document, and I gave it to her in this order:

Translation on top with notary and Apostille
English with notary, authentication and Apostille
$125 - only cash or money order allowed

She is going to scan the paperwork in and send it to SD. They will notify when she can put the temporary visa in my passport.

Her directions were within 60 days I need to:

1) Go to the Ministry of Foreign Relations, Visa Section, and get a letter.
2) Take that letter and all my original paperwork to Immigration and ask for permanent residency. if they say no, they'll give me a temporary for one year and then I can apply for permanent.

She said to be sure to take all paperwork with me because the Ministry may not, usually doesn't, send paperwork to Immigation.

She said I'll probably need a medical, simple xray, for approximately RD1000.

I asked about police report from Puerto Plata and she said no.

She also said she would scan all papers in yesterday and I am to call her this afternoon to see if she has an answer (wishful thinking) as she is going on vacation tomorrow.

Feel free to ask or PM me with any questions or details you want to know.

Regards
Ro

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
just for a followup - I also saw / talked with Virginia at the DC consulate office....turned my paperwork in on a Monday morning....had the Residency Visa by the following Thursday afternoon....of course my Lawyer from the DR side was also pushing this with the Ministry of foreign affairs so that might account for the very short time frame. I'm off to Immigration on Thursday for the rest.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Please keep posting of your process/progress. Virginia told me 7 - 10 days - so we'll see. I'm good with time as I don't fly till end of month.

Did you use a local lawyer or a SD lawyer and b/c you did most of the work, was the fee less?

Thanks.

Franz

Dec 30, 2006
temporary measure for provisional and permanent residencies

I readed under Guzman Ariza Obtaining Residency Status in the Dominican Republic: An Overview (fourthlast passage) (really interesting page!)
“As a temporary measure, foreign nationals whose provisional residencies have expired will have until August to file for permanent residency under the old rules. The same will apply to those with expired permanent residences who, therefore, need a renewal.”

I tried to prolong my residency at 8/28/2012, but they said I have to do it with the new rules. Does anybody know where I can see this temporary measure in an official domminican paper? thx

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Yesterday I went to the consulate in Washington DC with all my paperwork. I had downloaded the requirements from their website. I met with Virginia there, who I had spoken with many times asking questions, which paid off in the long run. The process was simple, and I follow directions.

She called out for each document, and I gave it to her in this order:

Translation on top with notary and Apostille
English with notary, authentication and Apostille
$125 - only cash or money order allowed

She is going to scan the paperwork in and send it to SD. They will notify when she can put the temporary visa in my passport.

Her directions were within 60 days I need to:

1) Go to the Ministry of Foreign Relations, Visa Section, and get a letter.
2) Take that letter and all my original paperwork to Immigration and ask for permanent residency. if they say no, they'll give me a temporary for one year and then I can apply for permanent.

She said to be sure to take all paperwork with me because the Ministry may not, usually doesn't, send paperwork to Immigation.

She said I'll probably need a medical, simple xray, for approximately RD1000.

I asked about police report from Puerto Plata and she said no.

She also said she would scan all papers in yesterday and I am to call her this afternoon to see if she has an answer (wishful thinking) as she is going on vacation tomorrow.

Feel free to ask or PM me with any questions or details you want to know.

Regards
Ro

So, as you report it, it seems potentially an improved process for those who are starting the process new (not so great for those that are already residing in DR)?

If one were to be deciding to make the move, they could do all of the paperwork in their home country, be pre-approved so to speak, get their residency visa stamp, and then just take the same documents to immigration here on arrival. No DR attorneys?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hi, all true except our last sentence.

It was suggested that I get a DR attorney, which I was going to do anyhow, because they know the process, the language barrier, and can walk me through it easier than if I attempted it on my own.

My thought is, since I've done all this work already, the fee should be less. Don't know this for a fact, just hoping!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Update. Just spoke to Virginia; nothing today, but she told me to call and who to speak with tomorrow. I'll do so and see how quickly I get it - considering I don't have a DR attorney working it on that end.

vbrookie

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Screw this I'll see what happens when I go back to CT next month. What are they going to do for me staying here for 4 months? Arrest me? Deport me?

I'l pay the whatever the fine and go and comeback...

It's going to be cheaper to pay fines then hire a lawyer and go through all that process.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Como chivos sin ley

I thought that you, civilized foreign people, loved to follow laws and rules.:speechles

I for one have always done so (in civilisation).
Then I came into this country. :bunny:

Seeing all this lawlessness and corruption the wish came up to live like the Dominicans (you know, "awesome culture" and the like):

"Es vivir como chivos sin ley". :laugh:

donP