• Hipolito Mejia

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • Leonel Fernandez

Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Complex question. It would have to be divided by categories. But overall, in my opinion the worst has to be Pedro Santana, who betrayed the country and turned it over to Spain, again.

May 12, 2005
Please feel free to add your thoughts. I tried to keep the poll simple and limited it to 4 but I could have listed them all. It is far from scientific.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Complex question. It would have to be divided by categories. But overall, in my opinion the worst has to be Pedro Santana, who betrayed the country and turned it over to Spain, again.

That was not a bad move from Pedro Santana. The reasoning behind this was to gain the support of a bigger nation such as Spain to keep Haiti from taking over the country again, since the new Dominican Republic was not strong enough to fight against Haiti. If at any given point, the Haitians decide to take over the country again, they would have to fight Spain.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
That was not a bad move from Pedro Santana. The reasoning behind this was to gain the support of a bigger nation such as Spain to keep Haiti from taking over the country again, since the new Dominican Republic was not strong enough to fight against Haiti. If at any given point, the Haitians decide to take over the country again, they would have to fight Spain.

I see. I fail to realize how surrendering your sovereignty to a country to avoid surrendering it to another is a good move.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The worst, by far, was Buenaventura B?ez, the great grandfather of Ramon Buenaventura B?ez Figueroa, who destroyed the economy almost as badly as Mr. Fernandez...

Santana's reasoning for asking Spain to come in was not from fear of Hait?, but from other European powers and because of the near total collapse of the economy...In my book he has been trashed unjustly since without him, there would have been no Dominican Republic.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most people on DR1 have no idea who is the current President of the DR, let alone the "Worst"!
Must be a "Slow Day" in the bar?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
I see. I fail to realize how surrendering your sovereignty to a country to avoid surrendering it to another is a good move.

Read the world history. Be it ancient or modern history.

Alliance with one enemy in order to get saved from a bigger enemy has been strategic move of most countries faced by the latter. Often it is the colonial power from which the country liberated itself who come to the rescue. You may not like it, but often it is the best way of surviving. And there are countless tribes, states, and nations who did not call onto help of one enemy from destruction by a bigger enemy, and they are no longer with us.

It is typically the correct move to seek an ally, even if the ally from the ranks of enemies. No, it is not a palatable move. But the alternative is worse.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Alliance with one enemy in order to get saved from a bigger enemy has been strategic move of most countries faced by the latter. Often it is the colonial power from which the country liberated itself who come to the rescue. You may not like it, but often it is the best way of surviving. And there are countless tribes, states, and nations who did not call onto help of one enemy from destruction by a bigger enemy, and they are no longer with us.

It is typically the correct move to seek an ally, even if the ally from the ranks of enemies. No, it is not a palatable move. But the alternative is worse.

Keep in mind it was not for free. Juan Pablo Duarte had to exile, some who fought for the independence from Spain were executed by firing squad, including women like Maria Trinidad Sanchez. I imagine those were conditions established by the queen. And you have to see how the consequences of that need to be dependent still affects today. Definitely a coward's move in my book. If a country cannot stand by itself, no matter the thread or difficulties, it does no deserve to exist. Better to die standing than to live on your knees. I have the feeling Santana was more interested in his personal security and finances than the people's

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
Keep in mind it was not for free. Juan Pablo Duarte had to exile, some who fought for the independence from Spain were executed by firing squad, including women like Maria Trinidad Sanchez. I imagine those were conditions established by the queen.

Of course it is not free. Or easy. Of course the savior country is going to be dominant, and settle up old scores, execute potential troublemakers who would oppose the domination by the savior country, consolidate the power, and extract tribute. That’s natural. It happens _all_the_time_. All over the world. I think it would extremely na?ve to think that the savior country would come to aid of their old enemy out of the goodness of their heart.

And you have to see how the consequences of that need to be dependent still affects today.
Of course that there will be negative consequences. That’s also natural. Why would you expect otherwise?

Definitely a coward's move in my book. If a country cannot stand by itself, no matter the thread or difficulties, it does no deserve to exist. Better to die standing than to live on your knees. ...

Inspiring words. But not pragmatic. History books are filled with names of countries no longer in existence because of idealistic “give me liberty or give me death” attitudes. Knowing how to make a deal with the devil is a necessary skill for a long term survival.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
True. Sadly, history books are also filled with things done the wrong way. And yes, I agree, what I said is not pragmatic. Living in the DR for so many years, has taught me pretty much what happens when pragmatism sets in a culture. Interesting topic, though.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
He was far from the worst. He made DR a modern country. I chose Salvador Blanco, my reasoning being it was his presidency that changed the mindset of the politicians and created the level of corrupt politicians that exists today.

I though it was more Balaguer's fault...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I though it was more Balaguer's fault...

Well I wouldn't say corruption started with Balaguer, but he definitely was the one who institutionalized it and made it what it is today. In my lifetime Balaguer was the worst by far and even him had some redeeming qualities (i.e. he cared for the environment - Propane gas subsidy, national parks, etc...funny how even the worst despots always have some pet cause), but I think there have been worse than him in the history of The DR. In terms of Santana it's hard to judge his presidency looking at it through current circumstances. He's vilified for selling out the country, which of course I'm completely against, but we don't know what conditions were really like back then to judge.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Let's not forget that the US did kind of the same thing when they obtained their independence from England. Without the French support, there would not be an US today. Yes the FRENCH.

Jan 5, 2006
I have often said that LF holds the distinction of being the best (96-00) and worst (04-12) president of modern times in DR.