Best way to Fly From DR (POP, STI,SDQ,PUJ) to SFO or Oakland

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
Hi Everybody,

I have a question what's the best deal for flying from DR to west coast of states, preferbly SFO or Oakland, but LAX or LVA might work aswell. I've been looking at some sites but can only find round trips for like 800-900 dollars in the period i want to travel (around december 20 and returning like dec 27, but am flexible. Is this the going rate or can i do this cheaper. Can you guys (i know some of you are experienced in this route) tell me which low cost airlines do this route and that i must take a look at. Thanks for your input in advance!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Expensive time to travel.....

I would suggest thru Atlanta or NYC. Miami might be an option too.

I hope you can keep it to 2 flights and in one day.

Sometimes its worth paying a travel agent.
Recently I tried getting my daughter to RD from Australia, fiddled w/ Houston - it all got messy.

An agent did it finally.... good prices and less headaches

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
Expensive time to travel.....

I would suggest thru Atlanta or NYC. Miami might be an option too.

I hope you can keep it to 2 flights and in one day.

Sometimes its worth paying a travel agent.
Recently I tried getting my daughter to RD from Australia, fiddled w/ Houston - it all got messy.

An agent did it finally.... good prices and less headaches

I don't get it, there are a lot of people travelling from west coast to DR, is it really that difficult (no Direct flights?). Do you maybe know names of airlines like jetblue blablabla, that do this route. Thanks for your advice

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
If you want cheap try spirit airlines. From Panama direct to STI would have been $578.00 for the cheapest. I came to Ft Lauderdale for $125. and on to STI for $108. They have just started service into San Diego, check them out.
Der Fish

I investigated this route some months back. Spirit to Fort Lauderdale and VirginAmerica onwards was the cheapest at about $600 return but would depend on month, day of week, how far in advance you book etc.

yapask1

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't get it, there are a lot of people travelling from west coast to DR, is it really that difficult (no Direct flights?). Do you maybe know names of airlines like jetblue blablabla, that do this route. Thanks for your advice

No direct flts that I know of...and I tried for my Australian daughter.

Virgin America has very ggood transcontinental flights and then Virgin Australia on to Sydney.
Never underestimate the Yapster..... he actually knows of which he speaks.....altho we all HATE to admit it.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
AA from POP to Miami
Delta Red eye to SFO (may have one, 1 hour stop)
Delta Red eye from SFO to Miami (may have one 1 hour stop)
Miami to POP.
One day each way with no layovers.

AA POP to SFO in one day. Return you would have a layover so two days.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cheap flights: Spirit to FLL than whatever is cheapest to SFO. You can use either FLL or MIA to connect.And it costs less tha $10 to get from FLL to MIA...on the Trirail.

Wish I had more experience on this but it is doable and cheaper.

HB

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
There is no direct flight. Pay the amount & you'll get one stop/transfer with some overlay. Otherwi?e, it's 2 or 3 stops, IMO sometimes 2 stops is not bad if you find one with less than an hour overlay each.

A overnight flight is cheaper, but not sure if it's as safe as flying during the day.

Last edited:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
You have TWO choices, Delta in Atlanta or American in Miami. You DO NOT want to connect in cities like Chicago, Newark, NYC etc because you do not know if "mother nature" will be working with you that day. If you fly into a northern city and there is a snow storm, your trip is over before it started.

If you have to spend a little extra money to get out west as quick as possible on this date. All the airports will be busy during this week, so take it from me MIA or ATL.

BTW Once I was flying from ORD to SJU and there were people at the airport that had been there for 3 days waiting for their flight because of the snow. I saw a lot of people in tears as I walked to my gate to Puerto Rico and I felt so bad for them.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
During spring, summer or fall I would use JetBlue or Continental from EWR or JFK. Very reliable and often have excellent deals. That said, JMB773 makes an excellent point that you do not want to do this in the winter. Those airports can get socked in and mess up an entire vacation. In that time of year you should head south as soon as possible to Houston, Atlanta or Miami.

Personally, even a terrorist wouldn't get me on Spirit. A totally suck ass airline IMHO.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

Good news. I checked American Airlines from LAX to POP in November, connecting through, Dallas for as low as $451.usd. Check it out. It looks like that is a killer fare. It would make sense to go from Cali to Dallas and then across the Gulf to the Caribean. Shortest distance between two points. Good luck.

LTSteve

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
Are you serious about that remark????!!!!!!!!

Why shouldn't I?

It would be flying during the night & arrive in the morning or early afternoon.

I read online that it's safe, but still not sure if I'll do it. Is it harder for the pilot to see at night? Flies auto-pilot? What if it needs emergency landing? I missed out on a good deal before, but it is way cheaper so am considering!

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
What do you mean? Being held up at the airports, or what?

I meant fly overnight as in take off at 10:30 pm & arrives in JKF at 7 am, then depends on the layover of the next flight; arrives to STI in early morning or late afternoon.

Flies during night time

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
My first trip from SJC to LAX, then LAX to MIA, then MIA to STI, cost me $600 and some for RT in July. It wasn't that bad since there were little overlays in between. Left @ 6 am and arrived to the DR @ 8 pm. Yes, it took all day :-(

On my way back, I extended my stay, so called to change my air flight & there was a small fee, & they gave first class seats at same price!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Why shouldn't I?

It would be flying during the night & arrive in the morning or early afternoon.

I read online that it's safe, but still not sure if I'll do it. Is it harder for the pilot to see at night? Flies auto-pilot? What if it needs emergency landing? I missed out on a good deal before, but it is way cheaper so am considering!

Well if that is what you are worried about, you can rest assured that it is just as safe to fly at night than it is to fly during the day.

If you are worried about pilot fatigue, it is a non-issue. Pilots have very strict rules governing their duty time and it is a legal requirement for pilots to be well rested before each flight.

If you are worried about visibility, anything that a plane could hit is very well lit at night, including other aircraft. In fact it's easier to see lit up obstacles at night than it is during the day.

All modern airliners fly on their autopilots from about 500 feet from take off until about 500 feet to landing. If the weather at the arriving airport has really bad visibility, then pilots are actually not allowed to touch the controls during the landing. They are just passengers in a very complicated ballet of automated genius. The plane lands itself!

As for looking out the window? Well they are just there for the view. Air traffic control has you on radar and steers you clear of any traffic and all of the navigation is done by sophisticated instruments in the cockpit.

I hope that alleviates any reservations about flying. It's still the safest mode of transport in the world.

By the way, I am an aviation professional. I fix big planes and fly small ones!